DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   When to clean kerosene heater? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/73229-when-clean-kerosene-heater.html)

mark October 14th 04 09:08 PM

When to clean kerosene heater?

Last winter I purchased a brand new Dyna-Glo Kerosene heater from
Walmart. It heats 1,000 square feet. It worked wonderfully well.:)
I used it approximately 2 to 4 times a week.

It stayed in the corner over the summer and was not used (although,
given how cool the sumer was, a few nights, I almost used it...hence
it being left inside and ready for use) I fired it up the other night
and it started with no problems.

I'm wondering if it needs to be cleaned in any way? How can I know if
the efficiency has dropped? the wick burns, just wondering if it
needs to be cleaned in some way?

RMD October 15th 04 06:24 AM

Hi,

I've had two kerosene heaters around for more than 30 years. I've
never cleaned them and they always work. I store them when not in use
with a plastic bag over them. I wouldn't know what you would clean in
them anyway. Don't touch the wicks in any way.

Ross

On 14 Oct 2004 13:08:21 -0700, (mark) wrote:

Last winter I purchased a brand new Dyna-Glo Kerosene heater from
Walmart. It heats 1,000 square feet. It worked wonderfully well.:)
I used it approximately 2 to 4 times a week.

It stayed in the corner over the summer and was not used (although,
given how cool the sumer was, a few nights, I almost used it...hence
it being left inside and ready for use) I fired it up the other night
and it started with no problems.

I'm wondering if it needs to be cleaned in any way? How can I know if
the efficiency has dropped? the wick burns, just wondering if it
needs to be cleaned in some way?

(To get email address ROT 13)

Fogbank October 16th 04 12:11 PM

(mark) wrote:

Last winter I purchased a brand new Dyna-Glo Kerosene heater from
Walmart. It heats 1,000 square feet. It worked wonderfully well.:)
I used it approximately 2 to 4 times a week.

It stayed in the corner over the summer and was not used (although,
given how cool the sumer was, a few nights, I almost used it...hence
it being left inside and ready for use) I fired it up the other night
and it started with no problems.

I'm wondering if it needs to be cleaned in any way? How can I know if
the efficiency has dropped? the wick burns, just wondering if it
needs to be cleaned in some way?

(To get email address ROT 13)

- make sure that there is no debris in the bottom of the fuel seat
where you drop the tank.

- when not in use i remove the tank, give the unit a quick vaccuming
with a soft brush attatchment and cover in plastic.