sandy

Default PVC leak

We had our sprinkler system (pvc manual valves & check valve)
demolished by vandals and my husband bought all new stuff and glued
them together. But rather than replacing the PVC than came from our
well pump, he connected the new fittings to the old using a piece of
pvc that he glued INSIDE the old pipe and new fittings. Only problem
is that the connector he used didn't really fit snuggly and it is
leaking and water is dripping down the outside of our (cement block)
garage wall. Is there some way to patch this? I'm afraid that to do
it right we'd have to get all new fittings and start all over again as
everything is glued tightly together with only the connectors visable
(no pipe connector is view). I was toying with making some pvc
filings and adding pvc cement and stuffing it in the leak area. Do you
think this would work? Appreciate your suggestions. The leak is heavy
enough that if I put the sprinklers on for a couple hours, I'm finding
water making its way INSIDE the garage (Not sure where its actually
coming from as I don't feel wetness on the inside pump/pvc. I have no
idea if this water could cause problems if just left to leak but I'd
sure like to fix it.

Thanks!

Sandy
Joe Fabeitz

Consider marrying a REAL handyMAN. We're worth out weight in gold. Please
send photos and resume for consideration.

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

"sandy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bob

Find the leak. Apply a vacume to the pipe section somehow. A
siphon hose from the pipe to a bucket several feet lower than the
leak might work. Apply PVC cement to the leak so that it is
sucked into the pipe by the vacume. If you are lucky, you might
seal it this way.

Brady make proper sized "inside" PVC fittings. But why not just
replace what is there with a proper outsige coupling.

Bob

"sandy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Richard J Kinch

sandy writes:

Is there some way to patch this?

It's tedious and tricky, but I have successfully removed solvent "welded"
PVC fittings several times by sawing carefully along and through the
fitting and then prying and chipping it off. The "welded" junction is
typically weaker than the bulk material, making this possible. In some
situations this is better than replumbing back to a "good" spot.
Harry K

(sandy) wrote in message . com...
[...]

This is real red-neckish. Get a coupling that fits the new piece of
pipe. Cut it in half. Try to clear away any bumps, glue buildup,
dirt from the shoulder by the the join. Now liberally spread glue
inside the two halves, outside the pipe and against the shoulder (very
important). Apply the two halves and hold for glue set. Cross
fingers. If it doesn't work you have just made an even bigger mess.

Harry K

bumtracks

pvc & good glue are remarkable stuff
Riding mowered too close to the lawn pump and busted off a hose bib.
Suddenly its raining funny / instantly soaked.
glued together a busted 3/4 pvc at a crude jagged break with at least one
found chip planning on replacing it later ... been four years and it still
holds 45+ lbs on my sprinkler system.

This is real red-neckish. Get a coupling that fits the new piece of
pipe. Cut it in half. Try to clear away any bumps, glue buildup,
dirt from the shoulder by the the join. Now liberally spread glue
inside the two halves, outside the pipe and against the shoulder (very
important). Apply the two halves and hold for glue set. Cross
fingers. If it doesn't work you have just made an even bigger mess.

Harry K

sandy

Brady make proper sized "inside" PVC fittings. But why not just
replace what is there with a proper outsige coupling.

I just went out and looked at it again. At first I thought it
wouldn't work because hubby glued the inside "connector" to the old
pvc pipe that had a piece of the old broken connector still attached.
I also looked at the pump (inside the garage) and see where there is
what looks like a large screw on connector. I'm thinking that if I
cut through the outside (new) pvc, pick off the caulk that filled the
hole in the garage wall that the pipe goes through...that I ought to
be able to twist off and replace the old pvc coming from the
pump....and THAT one we could then use an outside connector on.
Should this "screw" fitting come off easily?

Hope somebody can understand that....at least I sorta know what I'm
talking about. Maybe I SHOULD trade hubby in for a real handiMAN!

Sandy
bumtracks

I cant see what you have from where I'm sitting but it sounds like you can
just unscrew that fitting, any kind of wrench that will fit it will loosen
it fairly easy. Hard part might be fully removing what you cut off there
and then gluing up new fittings for a replacement in the confined space - if
the suction comes off the pump easily maybe remove it and move the pump
out a bit before attempting to make the identical length replacement section
then you can glue the farthest joint of the outside coupling on last.

"sandy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bob

"sandy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I would think that the fitting you are talking about should come
off fine.

Bob

water leak - which way? mich UK diy 2 September 3rd 04 07:24 PM
Water leak - the saga continues..... mich UK diy 13 August 25th 04 11:47 PM
Story & Info: Slab leak pipe repair Melbourne FL Brevard Co Rick Home Repair 0 September 3rd 03 02:18 AM
Mystery Bathroom Leak Billy Home Repair 12 August 17th 03 03:39 AM