Steven D. Litvintchouk

Default Dishwasher causing window condensation

Hi all,
I work hard at eliminating causes of window condensation--always run the
fan in the shower, etc.

But there's one problem I haven't solved--excessive condensation on
windows caused by running the dishwasher. Every single time I run the
dishwasher after dinner, I find a lot of moisture on the windows--so
much that the window sill gets wet. I want to stop that before the sill
rots and gets moldy. It's not a portable dishwasher, so I can't move it
to a better location.

Any ideas?

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:

Red Neckerson

"Steven D. Litvintchouk" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi all,
I work hard at eliminating causes of window condensation--always run the
fan in the shower, etc.

But there's one problem I haven't solved--excessive condensation on
windows caused by running the dishwasher. Every single time I run the
dishwasher after dinner, I find a lot of moisture on the windows--so
much that the window sill gets wet. I want to stop that before the sill
rots and gets moldy. It's not a portable dishwasher, so I can't move it
to a better location.

Do your dishes by hand......

Joseph Meehan

Steven D. Litvintchouk wrote:
Hi all,
I work hard at eliminating causes of window condensation--always run the
fan in the shower, etc.

But there's one problem I haven't solved--excessive condensation on
windows caused by running the dishwasher. Every single time I run the
dishwasher after dinner, I find a lot of moisture on the windows--so
much that the window sill gets wet. I want to stop that before the sill
rots and gets moldy. It's not a portable dishwasher, so I can't move it
to a better location.

Any ideas?

Is it all the windows or just the ones near the dishwasher?

If it is just the one(s) near the dishwasher, I suggest getting a small
fan and placing it near the dishwasher and turning it one when you are
washing the dishes. If all the windows are doing it, then maybe you need to
check the humidity in your home. If it is not excessive, then maybe you
need better insulated windows.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Dave Harnish

Steve,

You might want to try running the range vent hood
while running the dishwasher. Might exhaust enough
of the moisture to correct the problem. Depends how
close the two are.

PS - Must be nice to have such a tight house! (Our 130
year old farmhouse definitely doesn't have this problem!
grin)

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair
technician! Get your monthly email newsletter he
(Back issues now posted too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

Amos 4:13

"Steven D. Litvintchouk" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi all,
I work hard at eliminating causes of window condensation--always run the
fan in the shower, etc.

But there's one problem I haven't solved--excessive condensation on
windows caused by running the dishwasher. Every single time I run the
dishwasher after dinner, I find a lot of moisture on the windows--so
much that the window sill gets wet. I want to stop that before the sill
rots and gets moldy. It's not a portable dishwasher, so I can't move it
to a better location.

Any ideas?

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:

Steven D. Litvintchouk

Red Neckerson wrote:

"Steven D. Litvintchouk" wrote in message
ink.net...

Hi all,
I work hard at eliminating causes of window condensation--always run the
fan in the shower, etc.

But there's one problem I haven't solved--excessive condensation on
windows caused by running the dishwasher. Every single time I run the
dishwasher after dinner, I find a lot of moisture on the windows--so
much that the window sill gets wet. I want to stop that before the sill
rots and gets moldy. It's not a portable dishwasher, so I can't move it
to a better location.

Do your dishes by hand......

Actually, that's a good idea. I live alone, I only need a few dishes to
cook meals for myself, and a dishwasher is a luxury I can live without.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:

Abe

Do your dishes by hand......

Actually, that's a good idea. I live alone, I only need a few dishes to
cook meals for myself, and a dishwasher is a luxury I can live without.

-----------------
It IS a good idea, but it's besides the point, as neither of you is
even trying to answer the poster's question. Why is that? I'm not
being a smart-alec, I'm just curious as to why you both feel compelled
to reply with a non-sequitor instead of actually trying to help out
the poster.

That being said, I don't have any good advice for the poster either,
so I guess I'm being just as useless as you two.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Steven D. Litvintchouk" wrote in message

But there's one problem I haven't solved--excessive condensation on
windows caused by running the dishwasher. Every single time I run the
dishwasher after dinner, I find a lot of moisture on the windows--so much
that the window sill gets wet.

Most homes are so dry in the winter they would welcome the added moisture
and never see it on the window.

To eliminate the condensation, you must eliminate the cause. Either warm the
window, cool the air, or move moist the air from the room.

Do you have a storm window?
Can you vent the kitchen during the washing/drying time? Either crack the
window open or run an exhaust fan?

If other rooms of the house are drier, blow some air from the kitchen to the
other room.

Greg S

Most heavy condensation caused by dishwashers is from the drying
cycle. There is normally a vent on the dishwasher that opens during
the drying cycle to allow the humidity to escape so the dishes will
dry.

This can be eliminated by setting your dishwasher on energy saver, or
air dry mode. The dishes will take longer to dry, but you should
eliminate most of the condensation.

It's also possible that the mechanism for opening your exhaust vent on
the dishwasher is malfunctioning in the open position which will not
only humidify your house, but decrease your washing efficiency and use
more energy by allowing the heat and humidity to escape from the tub
during the wash cycle.

Hope this helps!

"Steven D. Litvintchouk" wrote in message link.net...
Hi all,
I work hard at eliminating causes of window condensation--always run the
fan in the shower, etc.

But there's one problem I haven't solved--excessive condensation on
windows caused by running the dishwasher. Every single time I run the
dishwasher after dinner, I find a lot of moisture on the windows--so
much that the window sill gets wet. I want to stop that before the sill
rots and gets moldy. It's not a portable dishwasher, so I can't move it
to a better location.

Any ideas?

Stormin Mormon

Replying with a non sequitor is as useful as putting moldy bread in the
carbeurator of your snow mobile.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Abe" wrote in message
-----------------
It IS a good idea, but it's besides the point, as neither of you is
even trying to answer the poster's question. Why is that? I'm not
being a smart-alec, I'm just curious as to why you both feel compelled
to reply with a non-sequitor instead of actually trying to help out
the poster.

That being said, I don't have any good advice for the poster either,
so I guess I'm being just as useless as you two.

It IS a good idea, but it's besides the point, as neither of you is
even trying to answer the poster's question. Why is that? I'm not
being a smart-alec, I'm just curious as to why you both feel compelled
to reply with a non-sequitor instead of actually trying to help out
the poster.

Because this isn't the "fix my house" helpdesk. It's an online
coversation
between a few hundred people with a nominal interest in home repair. And
like any other conversation, it wanders. When people start PAYING
for advice, then they've got reason to expect people to stay on point.

--Goedjn

Abe

Because this isn't the "fix my house" helpdesk. It's an online
coversation
between a few hundred people with a nominal interest in home repair. And
like any other conversation, it wanders. When people start PAYING
for advice, then they've got reason to expect people to stay on point.

--Goedjn

That is sooo weak a rationalizxation as to be humorous.