DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drywall Repair Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/72162-drywall-repair-question.html)

JJ October 5th 04 07:50 PM

Drywall Repair Question

I have two holes to fix in my ceiling, both are in the 1'x2' range. Plus, as
an added bonus the ceiling is knowdown textured. I'll put up a couple of
backing strips to give the drywall support. I will be using paper tape, not
the fiber mesh. My question is: Should I overlap the tape at the corners of
the repair?

Thanks,

John

jjoy October 6th 04 01:43 AM

"JJ" wrote in message
I have two holes to fix in my ceiling, both are in the 1'x2' range. Plus,
as
an added bonus the ceiling is knowdown textured. I'll put up a couple of
backing strips to give the drywall support. I will be using paper tape,
not
the fiber mesh. My question is: Should I overlap the tape at the corners
of
the repair?

Thanks,

John

yes, assure ample joint-compound under tape. It should shrink somewhat as it
dries.
I try to scrape off excess ceiling texture about 1 to 1-1/2" from edge of
existing hole before applying tape.
- - - jjoy

Paul Franklin October 6th 04 04:33 AM

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:50:43 -0600, "JJ" wrote:

I have two holes to fix in my ceiling, both are in the 1'x2' range. Plus, as
an added bonus the ceiling is knowdown textured. I'll put up a couple of
backing strips to give the drywall support. I will be using paper tape, not
the fiber mesh. My question is: Should I overlap the tape at the corners of
the repair?

Thanks,

John

Since it's textured, you can overlap the tape. When it's flat, I run
the longest sides a bit long and then cut the shorter pieces to fit
inside. It's a little easier to finish that way without humps. With
texture, you'll never see the overlap. Hardest part will probably be
matching the texture reasonably well.

Paul