DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Heavy bag in the basement? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/71973-re-heavy-bag-basement.html)

Mortimer Schnerd, RN October 4th 04 10:22 AM

Heavy bag in the basement?

fasthands wrote:
Sure you can hang a bag. Just make sure it isn't too heavy and it is
secured. Here is a video clip of Ross Enamait, M.S., CFT hitting the bag in
his basement.

http://www.rossboxing.com/heavybagtraining.wmv

He's definitely whipping that bag's ass. I've got a 100 lb bag hanging off a
joist in my garage and it hurts my arms to really pound it. Of course, I've got
some hardware in them so I guess I can't have everything.

Getting back to topic: I just drilled a small hole through the joist and hung
the bag on a bolt with great big fender washers to prevent the bolt from eating
the joist. It works fine.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Red Neckerson October 4th 04 12:23 PM

"Airkings" wrote

Is it advisable to attach a heavy bag to a basement floor joist and use it
for training? Will the vibrations cause damage? What has people's

experience
been? Thanks!

The floor handles my wife, so I don't see the difference between walking on
the floor or hanging from the floor's joist....

Don Wagner October 4th 04 04:10 PM

"Airkings" wrote:
Is it advisable to attach a heavy bag to a basement floor joist and use it
for training? Will the vibrations cause damage? What has people's experience
been? Thanks!

Depends on the house and the beam, but in general I've found the
rattle the whole place.

Pick up a free standing bag frame. There were some good 2-station
frames for about $125 used on ebay.
--Don--
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Jonny R October 4th 04 04:19 PM

"Red Neckerson" wrote in message news:kw98d.4122$eq1.934@trnddc08...
"Airkings" wrote

Is it advisable to attach a heavy bag to a basement floor joist and use it
for training? Will the vibrations cause damage? What has people's

experience
been? Thanks!

Based on feedback from people at my martial art's club and from a
martial arts store owner's personal opinion:

1) Over time you can damage the floor joist and/or the flooring above
the heavy bag. The 100 lbs heavy bag will swing from side to side,
creating a swinging torsion on the floor joist from which it hangs,
lifting/loosening the subfloor which over time can damage the flooring
above it. For example if the heavy bag is hanging in the basement
underneath the kitchen, and the kitchen has ceramic tiles, these may
crack. If its hardwood, the hardwood may become squeaky over time.
This is what a (very honest) martial arts store owner warned me when I
was shopping in his store for a heavy bag.

2) I've also had some people at my martial arts club tell me that
they've damaged their floor joist with their heavy bag, twisting its
shape (i.e. its now curved).

3) And everybody tells me that its loud. People in your house (most
notably those in the room directly above) will hear it unless you
punch and kick like a sissy :)

That being said, any punching bag is loud, including the free standing
ones like the Wave Masters. You can try hanging it from the metal
I-beam (if its exposed in the basement) which I've heard eliminates
most of the problems listed above when you hang it against a floor
joist. However hanging it from there will be louder than from a
wooden floor joist.

Hanging it in a garage is a good alternative, as is getting a hanging
cage for a heavy bag (literally a metal frame from which you hang the
bag). The main problem with the cage is that they are tall and you
need a basement with at least a 8' ceiling clearance. Some versions
also require you weighting the cage down with dumbbell plates so that
it doesn't tip over or move around. There is a version by Century
called the CornerMan that sits in a corner and doesn't require weights
to hold it down however the legs extend 9' in both directions from the
corner. Its also designed for a 70 lbs bag.

The hanging cages are usually around $200 - $300, but I've seen some
professional models sell for $1,500. The professional models are
usually designed to provide you with a less restrictive access to the
heavy bag VS the cheaper ones (i.e. you have more freedom around the
bag). You'll know what I mean if you see/try both models.

Its possible to get brackets that mount directly against the studs in
a wall, and hang the heavy bag from this, but I've heard that these
are worse than hanging the bag from the ceiling. Especially since the
bag will always be swinging and hitting the wall possibly creating
large indentations in the drywall (again, unless you punch like a
sissy :)

TG October 4th 04 09:18 PM

(Don Wagner) wrote in message ...
"Airkings" wrote:
Is it advisable to attach a heavy bag to a basement floor joist and use it
for training? Will the vibrations cause damage? What has people's experience
been? Thanks!

Depends on the house and the beam, but in general I've found the
rattle the whole place.

Pick up a free standing bag frame. There were some good 2-station
frames for about $125 used on ebay.
--Don--
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

FWIW, I bought and have used this bag stand

http://www.ringside.com/store/prodin...m=61&mitem=136

(or try http://tinyurl.com/6aqzw if that link gets broken)

(the heavy frame version) about a year and a half ago, using it with a
150-lb leather heavy bag. Unless you like to dance in circles around
the bag, it's pretty good IMO. If you hook a bungee or elastic cord
to the bottom you can pretty much punch the crap out of it without
worrying about it teetering (if you choose not to weight the back or
drill the base into the floor). However, when doing hard kicks, even
with the bungee cord attached to the bottom, you have to 'time' your
kicks to reduce excess swingage.

[email protected] October 4th 04 10:39 PM

Is it advisable to attach a heavy bag to a basement floor joist and use it
for training? Will the vibrations cause damage? What has people's experience
been? Thanks!

Was it me, I'd run a laminated beam of 2 2x4s across 6 or so joists,
Attaching it at each joist with a metal hanger, and put solid blocking
between the joists.

Chas October 4th 04 10:58 PM

wrote in message ...
Was it me, I'd run a laminated beam of 2 2x4s across 6 or so joists,
Attaching it at each joist with a metal hanger, and put solid blocking
between the joists.

Bungee cords- 3 to 1 weight ratio.
Screw in a half-dozen up-eyes, run your cords through; work your ass off.

Chas

Stormin Mormon October 5th 04 01:06 AM

How long does your wife hang from the floor? and how hard to hit her?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

YoJimbo October 5th 04 01:45 AM

"Airkings" wrote:
Is it advisable to attach a heavy bag to a basement floor joist and use it
for training? Will the vibrations cause damage? What has people's experience
been? Thanks!

I just hang mine with chains from the steel support beam, as you mentioned.
I prefer a free-swinging bag that isn't tied down and is allowed to sway.

Sure, you will get some vibration from the bag swaying, but as long as
your support chains aren't connected to anything that could be damaged,
alls you'll get out of whacking this dude is some noise upstairs :-).

I'm not as wild about bag frames as some others here. although that is
another solution.
JS

Don Wagner October 5th 04 04:09 PM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
What kind of training do you do?

We start our classes decoding divine script with the aid of magic
rocks. How about you?

Chas October 5th 04 04:18 PM

"Don Wagner" wrote
What kind of training do you do?

We start our classes decoding divine script with the aid of magic
rocks. How about you?

Talkin' to the day-glo lizard about where he hid me Lucky Charms.

Chas

Fraser Johnston October 5th 04 04:25 PM

"Don Wagner" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
What kind of training do you do?

We start our classes decoding divine script with the aid of magic
rocks. How about you?
--Don--
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Same with us. But we read ours out of a hat.

Fraser

Don Wagner October 5th 04 04:26 PM

"Chas" wrote:

"Don Wagner" wrote
What kind of training do you do?

We start our classes decoding divine script with the aid of magic
rocks. How about you?

Talkin' to the day-glo lizard about where he hid me Lucky Charms.
Chas

I've ended training sessions like that before....
;-)

Fraser Johnston October 5th 04 04:35 PM

"Don Wagner" wrote in message
"Chas" wrote:

"Don Wagner" wrote
What kind of training do you do?
We start our classes decoding divine script with the aid of magic
rocks. How about you?

Talkin' to the day-glo lizard about where he hid me Lucky Charms.
Chas

I've ended training sessions like that before....
;-)
--Don--
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I have to come train where you do. Sounds like my kind of place. For the
record I learnt everything I needed to know about the Mormon religon
watching Southpark. It is almost as crazy as the whole immaculate
conception thing. Tell me that Mary and Joseph, who were married, never had
sex and then gave birth to a son. Even 2000 years ago if they didn't have
pre-martial sex the first thing when you got married was to have sex until
you dropped. Either that or Joseph must of had calluses like a brickie from
tugging himself.

Fraser

Robert Low October 5th 04 04:40 PM

Fraser Johnston wrote:
conception thing. Tell me that Mary and Joseph, who were married, never had
sex and then gave birth to a son. Even 2000 years ago if they didn't have

You don't pay attention much, do you? She was supposed to have
got pregnant while they were engaged, but not yet married.
Yes, I know there are simpler explanations than 'God did
it', but you could at least get the mythology you're rejecting
correct.
--
Rob. http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/~mtx014/

Chas October 5th 04 04:46 PM

"Fraser Johnston" wrote
.....For the record I learnt everything I needed to know about the Mormon
religon watching Southpark.

They are the craziest white people on the face of the earth.
The only thing you can hope for is that they don't come after *you*.
I married into a fundamentalist, polygamous family (they have some of the
most beautiful women in the world), and have been around Saints much of my
life.
After dealing with Mormons, the Taliban is no trouble at all.

Chas

Don Wagner October 5th 04 04:48 PM

"Fraser Johnston" wrote:
I have to come train where you do. Sounds like my kind of place.

You'd have fun. It's very laidback and casual but the stickfighting
is pretty intense.

For the record I learnt everything I needed to know about the Mormon religon
watching Southpark.

;-) It's funny, but after seeing the SP episode I looked into the
Mormons again (did a comparitive religion assignment in high school
but I was pretty wasted at the time). SP was pretty much on the money
for the whole thing.

From the Mormons I've met they are fairly normal folks, but 2nd hand
stories make them out to be crazier then ****house rats.

Chas October 5th 04 05:20 PM

"Don Wagner" wrote
From the Mormons I've met they are fairly normal folks, but 2nd hand
stories make them out to be crazier then ****house rats.

Mormons hate you; actively.
They treat one another pretty well, but gentiles are fair game all round.
They take halachic/jesuitical 'logic' to new heights, and that's when they
bother to mask their hatred at all.
You kinda can't blame them- the early years must have been a horrorshow.
They have a strange social organization- kinda like Amish, but with guns ;-)
The whole 'survivalist/militia' thing comes out of the Mormon Lands. They've
lived like that for a hundred and fifty years.

Chas

Robert Low October 5th 04 06:01 PM

Chas wrote:
They treat one another pretty well, but gentiles are fair game all round.

Hey, I know all about Mormons, too. I read
"Riders of the Purple Sage". Looks like
not much has changed...
--
Rob. http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/~mtx014/

Fraser Johnston October 6th 04 02:44 AM

"Don Wagner" wrote in message
"Fraser Johnston" wrote:
I have to come train where you do. Sounds like my kind of place.

You'd have fun. It's very laidback and casual but the stickfighting
is pretty intense.

For the record I learnt everything I needed to know about the Mormon
religon
watching Southpark.

;-) It's funny, but after seeing the SP episode I looked into the
Mormons again (did a comparitive religion assignment in high school
but I was pretty wasted at the time). SP was pretty much on the money
for the whole thing.

From the Mormons I've met they are fairly normal folks, but 2nd hand
stories make them out to be crazier then ****house rats.
--Don--
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I did some searching on the net as well after seeing that episode. It was
pretty interesting. Dum dum dum.

Fraser

John October 6th 04 05:13 AM

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. com...
fasthands wrote:
Sure you can hang a bag. Just make sure it isn't too heavy and it is
secured. Here is a video clip of Ross Enamait, M.S., CFT hitting the

bag in
his basement.

http://www.rossboxing.com/heavybagtraining.wmv

He's definitely whipping that bag's ass. I've got a 100 lb bag hanging

off a
joist in my garage and it hurts my arms to really pound it. Of course,

I've got
some hardware in them so I guess I can't have everything.

Getting back to topic: I just drilled a small hole through the joist and

hung
the bag on a bolt with great big fender washers to prevent the bolt from

eating
the joist. It works fine.

The best way to attach it is to use 3 attachment points. This effectively
lowers the pivot point and the bag doesn't swing as much.

TG October 6th 04 03:52 PM

fasthands wrote:
[...]

This might also help with the stress on the structure, and maybe the
rattling:
http://www.ringside.com/store/prodin...=105&mitem=136

(or http://tinyurl.com/4rto8) if that link gets broken. Never tried
these so don't know if it will just bob up and down or not, esp. with
a 100-150 lb bag.

Stormin Mormon October 8th 04 03:07 PM

Hey, at least we don't drive around with loud speakers five times a day
blaring out the prayer call. And we don't behead folks.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Fraser Johnston" wrote

Stormin Mormon October 8th 04 03:21 PM

anyone says he knows "all about" seldom does.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Robert Low October 8th 04 03:31 PM

Stormin Mormon wrote:
anyone says he knows "all about" seldom does.

Hey, Riders of the Purple Sage is an eternal classic!

/* Insert standard whinge about top-posting here. */

Karim Rashad October 8th 04 03:40 PM

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:21:09 +0000, Stormin Mormon wrote:
anyone says he knows "all about" seldom does.

The mild sarcasm of the statement below was sort of lost on you, wasn't
it? ;-)

Hey, I know all about Mormons, too. I read "Riders of the Purple Sage".
Looks like not much has changed...

--
Karim Rashad remove SPAMFREE: krashad at SPAMorbisFREEuk dot com

Chas October 8th 04 03:46 PM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
Hey, at least we don't drive around with loud speakers five times a day
blaring out the prayer call.

You've got a point there.
Of course there are those guys on Temple Square.

And we don't behead folks.

Anymore.
Maybe.
Of course, dressing up in costume and waylaying people by the side of the
road is still very popular- and Porter Rockwell's legacy is alive and well.
It's dangerous to pass through Mormon country if you're gentile; and
dangerous to stay there if you don't toe the Saint's line.
Of course, you can always move to Mexico, hunh?

Chas

Chas October 8th 04 03:47 PM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
anyone says he knows "all about" seldom does.

It's sufficient to know enough.

Chas

Chas October 8th 04 03:57 PM

"Karim Rashad" wrote
anyone says he knows "all about" seldom does.

The mild sarcasm of the statement below was sort of lost on you, wasn't
it? ;-)

And that's unusual- they're generally so jolly.

Chas

Jacob Andersen October 8th 04 05:01 PM

"Chas" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
anyone says he knows "all about" seldom does.

It's sufficient to know enough.

LOL, you have a point. A tautological one maybe, but a point nonetheless.

/Jacob

Chas October 8th 04 05:51 PM

"Jacob Andersen" wrote
LOL, you have a point. A tautological one maybe, but a point nonetheless.

If they revere the angel Moroni, why aren't they called Mor.....
oh; nevermind.

Chas

Steve Perry October 8th 04 08:00 PM

In article , Chas
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
Hey, at least we don't drive around with loud speakers five times a day
blaring out the prayer call.

You've got a point there.
Of course there are those guys on Temple Square.

And we don't behead folks.

Anymore.
Maybe.
Of course, dressing up in costume and waylaying people by the side of the
road is still very popular- and Porter Rockwell's legacy is alive and well.
It's dangerous to pass through Mormon country if you're gentile; and
dangerous to stay there if you don't toe the Saint's line.
Of course, you can always move to Mexico, hunh?

Chas

Yeah, but you can buy Polygamy Porter there -- "Why have just one?" --
which is passing good beer and shows somebody in the beehive state has
a sense of humor. We camped in Perry, Utah, recently -- had to stop
there, the name and all, and it was great. Mountains on one side, Great
Salt Lake on the other.

Had a buddy lived in Orem. I visited him once. We stood in his yard,
just around the corner from the Donny and Marie Osmond Performing
Theater. There were two churches in sight, and he waved in both
directions and said, "Mormons, as far as the eye can see ..."

--
Steve

ordosclan October 8th 04 09:04 PM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

anyone says he knows "all about" seldom does.

Something "reality shoes" have shown. The bull**** factor. The more
someone talks about working hard, the less they work. Words are not
actions. But some people as they weasle into machiavellian cushy
jobs, can do nothing but propogandize with pep rally talk about
"tradition", old world values ("...i swore on my fathers
deathbed....", "my dad always used to say"). It may work on
boyfriends, girlfriends, or blue collar workers, but not everyones
stupid.

Shuurai October 8th 04 10:35 PM

anyone says he knows "all about" seldom does.

I used to work with a Mormon, and he let me borrow some books that
explained the religion and their version of history. I was amazed
that anyone could actually believe this stuff. Not so much the
spiritual side, but the historical...

It makes just slightly less sense than scientology.

Eric D. Berge October 8th 04 10:45 PM

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:00:20 -0700, Steve Perry
wrote:

In article , Chas
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
Hey, at least we don't drive around with loud speakers five times a day
blaring out the prayer call.

You've got a point there.
Of course there are those guys on Temple Square.

And we don't behead folks.

Anymore.
Maybe.
Of course, dressing up in costume and waylaying people by the side of the
road is still very popular- and Porter Rockwell's legacy is alive and well.
It's dangerous to pass through Mormon country if you're gentile; and
dangerous to stay there if you don't toe the Saint's line.
Of course, you can always move to Mexico, hunh?

Yeah, but you can buy Polygamy Porter there

Eh. I bet Los Angeles's "He-Brew" (the Chosen Beer) is better. See
http://www.shmaltz.com/

Robert Low October 8th 04 10:50 PM

Shuurai wrote:
that anyone could actually believe this stuff. Not so much the
spiritual side, but the historical...

So, now you think it implausible that the Amerindians are
the lost tribes of Israel? But I've seen video evidence
that it's true. Well, OK, it was Blazing Saddles, but
it was on video.

--
Rob. http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/~mtx014/

willshak October 8th 04 11:08 PM

Shuurai wrote:

anyone says he knows "all about" seldom does.

I used to work with a Mormon, and he let me borrow some books that
explained the religion and their version of history. I was amazed
that anyone could actually believe this stuff. Not so much the
spiritual side, but the historical...

It makes just slightly less sense than scientology.

Name any religion that makes any sense.

Don Wagner October 8th 04 11:29 PM

willshak wrote:
Name any religion that makes any sense.

I'm pretty down with Taoism and by Crom I will have your skull as my
drinking bowl if you anger me!
;-0

Robert Low October 8th 04 11:40 PM

willshak wrote:
Name any religion that makes any sense.

Since when was that a relevant criterion?

Anyway, got to go now. Chthulhu gets cranky
if I don't sacrifice by midnight, and you
do *not* want to see him when he's cranky.
--
Rob. http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/~mtx014/

Doug Miller October 8th 04 11:57 PM

In article , (Shuurai) wrote:
anyone says he knows "all about" seldom does.

I used to work with a Mormon, and he let me borrow some books that
explained the religion and their version of history. I was amazed
that anyone could actually believe this stuff. Not so much the
spiritual side, but the historical...

Well, for any believing Christian, the spiritual side of Mormonism is plenty
hard to take, once you know what the Mormon Church actually teaches. Here's a
sample:

"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's."
http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/130/22#22