DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   garbage disposal doesn't (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/71859-garbage-disposal-doesnt.html)

MrAoD October 3rd 04 10:11 AM

garbage disposal doesn't

Well, actually it does, just slowly.

Here's the problem. The dishwasher drains into the disposal. When the
dishwasher drains the water rises in the sink unless the disposal is turned on.

Sink drains fine with regular water flow from the tap.

Blades turn but there's not much of a grinding noise.

Is this just a clog or is the disposal shot?

Thanks,

Marc

Edwin Pawlowski October 3rd 04 12:48 PM

"MrAoD" wrote in message
..

Is this just a clog or is the disposal shot?

Could be either. Since it drains with the machine on, it is probably the
disposal. It may be starting to clog. I don't know how to clean them as
drain cleaners are not supposed to go into them. At least he old ones,
perhaps some of the new liquids would not harm them. If the disposal is on
the way out anyway, it would be worth a try.

James Nipper October 3rd 04 02:47 PM

I just used a drain cleaner made and marketed by Ace Hardware (a mild
cleaner), which specifically says can be used in garbage disposals.

I would try that first. Pour it in, let it set about 2 hours (longer
than the directions say) and then run the disposal (keep face away) and
let the water flow through it.

It is worth a try.

Let us know........

--James--

jeff October 3rd 04 05:15 PM

(MrAoD) wrote in message ...
Well, actually it does, just slowly.

Here's the problem. The dishwasher drains into the disposal. When the
dishwasher drains the water rises in the sink unless the disposal is turned on.

Sink drains fine with regular water flow from the tap.

Blades turn but there's not much of a grinding noise.

Is this just a clog or is the disposal shot?

Thanks,

Marc

Hi,

Kinda *sounds* like 2 problems....

The dishwasher drains into the disposal. When the
dishwasher drains the water rises in the sink unless the disposal is turned
on.

That certainly sounds like a slow/restricted house drain.

Blades turn but there's not much of a grinding noise.

Beater bars worn/missing, cutting ring could also be getting dull. New
unit may be needed.

Sink drains fine with regular water flow from the tap.

Just a guess, it probably would be better once the slow drain is
repaired.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Scall5 October 3rd 04 10:44 PM

"jeff" wrote in message
om...

Blades turn but there's not much of a grinding noise.

Beater bars worn/missing, cutting ring could also be getting

dull. New
unit may be needed.

Doesn't ice sharpen the blades? At least that I heard once.
--
---------------------------
Scall5

jeff October 4th 04 03:10 AM

"Scall5" wrote in message ...

Doesn't ice sharpen the blades? At least that I heard once.

Hi,

Ice *may* very mildly help to sharpen up the cutting ring by cleaning
some of the gookus out of it, but it is a better cleaner for the unit.
A little ice and a lemon ( or orange, lime ) slice will help to
freshen up a smelly food waste disposal.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

MrAoD October 17th 04 10:41 AM

I wrote:

Well, actually it does, just slowly.

Here's the problem. The dishwasher drains into the disposal. When the
dishwasher drains the water rises in the sink unless the disposal is turned
on.

Sink drains fine with regular water flow from the tap.

Blades turn but there's not much of a grinding noise.

Thanks to all who replied. The problem was the grinding plate(s). Purchased a
new disposal yesterday a.m. and installed by noon. Snaked the horizontal line
but it was clear.

Best,

Marc

jeff October 18th 04 11:37 AM

(MrAoD) wrote in message ...
I wrote:

Well, actually it does, just slowly.

Here's the problem. The dishwasher drains into the disposal. When the
dishwasher drains the water rises in the sink unless the disposal is turned
on.

Sink drains fine with regular water flow from the tap.

Blades turn but there's not much of a grinding noise.

Thanks to all who replied. The problem was the grinding plate(s). Purchased a
new disposal yesterday a.m. and installed by noon. Snaked the horizontal line
but it was clear.

Best,

Marc

Thankx for the update! :)