barry martin

Default Utility cost

Yaofeng:

Y We live in central Jersey. The house is built in 1971, 2,400 sq ft
Y four bedroom split. Gas furnace is original. Central AC about 15
Y year old. We set the thermostat at 82 degrees F during summer for
Y cooling. In winter, we set it to 72 degrees F during the day and turn
Y it down to 59 degrees F after 12. My attic has at least R30
Y insulation.
Y We pay PSE&G $212 a month on equal payment, gas and electric.
Y I'd like to get you guys' opinion whether to update my furnace to a
Y more energy efficient one, in light of the looming sky rocketing
Y energy cost. A good indication would be what a comparable size brand
Y new home pays PSE&G in the same area.

I agree a more current furnace would give you a savings. Also find
out if PSE&G is offering rebates (the contractor you are purchasing
your furnace and/or central air conditioning from should provide this
information).

With the age of both appliances I would suggest replacing both; if not
financially possible now allow for the upgrade shortly (i.e. next
spring or the following spring). Be sure to tell the representative
of any problems such as the living room is aways cold, the bathroom is
too hot; replacement of a section of duct or balancing the system
should solve these problems.

Comparing what a similar home has for HVAC may or may not be give you
what you need: each home has differences affecting what equipment is
needed.

Someone suggested a programmable thermostat: I agree, but let the
contractor do the installation as part of the package. (The old one
here had something like a 6ø 'knee' -- allowing a heck of a swing in
temperature before would kick on and off -- the new electronic
thermostat can be set for a 1ø knee -- keeps the temperature much more
even.)

Other things to help reduce energy: check outlets and switches for
leaks. When there is a decent breeze outside feel for air movement by
the boxes. If there is there are foam plates that go under the covers
available at hardware stores and department -- usually come as a 'kit'
of several switch and outlets.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Some suffer some insanity; I enjoy it!
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *