Kyle Boatright

Default Removing Ancient Intercom System

Our new (circa late 1960's) house has a NuTone intercom system that needs to
go. Some of the functions work, but for the most part, the system is dead.

After removing the face plate from the main control box, I found a label
that indicated that the system runs off of a 30V AC transformer (the label
says the transformer is "located elsewhere"). After crawling through a
large portion of the house, I still have not found "elsewhere".

Where to begin? My first (possibly biggest) problem is that the "hot" wire
isn't apparent...

Suggestions?

KB

Kyle Boatright

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Check near your circuit breaker box.

Did that. Unfortunately, it ain't there. Also, none of the breakers is
marked to indicate which breaker the system feeds from. Oh, the joys of a
35 year old house...

KB

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Our new (circa late 1960's) house has a NuTone intercom system that needs

go. Some of the functions work, but for the most part, the system is

dead.

After removing the face plate from the main control box, I found a label
that indicated that the system runs off of a 30V AC transformer (the
label
says the transformer is "located elsewhere"). After crawling through a
large portion of the house, I still have not found "elsewhere".

Where to begin? My first (possibly biggest) problem is that the "hot"

wire
isn't apparent...

Suggestions?

KB

D Duddles

Perhaps it's mounted similar to a doorbell transformer which, at least in
those days (as it is in my 35 year-old house), were typically mounted next
to or on top of a light fixture box for one of the basement lights (assuming
you have a basement, of course). My doorbell transformer is mounted
directly to the top of one of these fixture boxes, and you can't even see it
unless you stick your head up between the floor joists. I guess I'd suggest
looking there.

Good luck.

Doug

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Paul

It may be nippled into a ceiling junction box in your basement. If the
ceiling is finished you, obviously, won't see the transformer and will have
to check each outlet box until you find one that has 2 black wires coming
through a nipple. Even then, it could be your door bell transformer and not
your intercom transformer.

Happy Hunting
Paul

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

PrecisionMachinisT

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Our new (circa late 1960's) house has a NuTone intercom system that needs

go. Some of the functions work, but for the most part, the system is

dead.

After removing the face plate from the main control box, I found a label
that indicated that the system runs off of a 30V AC transformer (the label
says the transformer is "located elsewhere"). After crawling through a
large portion of the house, I still have not found "elsewhere".

Where to begin? My first (possibly biggest) problem is that the "hot"

wire
isn't apparent...

Pretty sure NuTone is still in business, and a new control box could be
purchased that would be plug and play.

On ours, I stripped the master unit clean of most internal components and
just left all the speakers and pots in place, patching em to a paging amp
that is sourced from a spare co port on our phone system ......

The 30vac transformer jack I taped off well and just left it sitting inside
the can--I doubt the transformer uses more than 2 dollars worth of
electricity per year when not connected to a load anyways.

--

SVL

JerryMouse

Kyle Boatright wrote:
Our new (circa late 1960's) house has a NuTone intercom system that
needs to go. Some of the functions work, but for the most part, the
system is dead.
After removing the face plate from the main control box, I found a
label that indicated that the system runs off of a 30V AC transformer
(the label says the transformer is "located elsewhere"). After
crawling through a large portion of the house, I still have not found
"elsewhere".
Where to begin? My first (possibly biggest) problem is that the
"hot" wire isn't apparent...

Suggestions?

If you can't find it, it must be gone. Case over.

willshak

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...

Check near your circuit breaker box.

Did that. Unfortunately, it ain't there. Also, none of the breakers is
marked to indicate which breaker the system feeds from. Oh, the joys of a
35 year old house...

KB

Some of those old intercoms had a radio installed. Does yours, and does
it work?
If so, turn it on and loud enough to be able to hear it from the breaker
box, or have someone standing by the main intercom console and operate
controls that indicate operation by emitting sound or by observable
indications. Start turning breakers off until the radio/console shuts
off. That's the one that the transformer is hooked into.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

Our new (circa late 1960's) house has a NuTone intercom system that needs

go. Some of the functions work, but for the most part, the system is

dead.

After removing the face plate from the main control box, I found a label
that indicated that the system runs off of a 30V AC transformer (the
label
says the transformer is "located elsewhere"). After crawling through a
large portion of the house, I still have not found "elsewhere".

Where to begin? My first (possibly biggest) problem is that the "hot"

wire

isn't apparent...

Suggestions?

KB

John Keith

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:47:57 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

After removing the face plate from the main control box, I found a label
that indicated that the system runs off of a 30V AC transformer (the label
says the transformer is "located elsewhere"). After crawling through a
large portion of the house, I still have not found "elsewhere".

Check around the furnace or utility room.

John Keith

Bob

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Our new (circa late 1960's) house has a NuTone intercom system

that needs to
go. Some of the functions work, but for the most part, the

system is dead.

After removing the face plate from the main control box, I

found a label
that indicated that the system runs off of a 30V AC transformer

(the label
says the transformer is "located elsewhere"). After crawling

through a
large portion of the house, I still have not found "elsewhere".

Where to begin? My first (possibly biggest) problem is that

the "hot" wire
isn't apparent...

Suggestions?

Figure out which breaker it's on. Follow that wire from the
breaker box. What else is on that breaker?

Bob