DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Outside Water Faucet Problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/71219-outside-water-faucet-problem.html)

RoryBellows September 27th 04 07:51 PM

Outside Water Faucet Problem

Hi All,

Tried to use the new outside water to wash the car on Sat and
found a little problem. When I screw the hose on all the way to the
spigot, even as tight as possible, it leaks and sprays water
everywhere. Gasket maybe?? Not to sure, any ideas how to fix??

Thanks to all who reply!!!

RBS

Ish September 27th 04 07:53 PM

On 27 Sep 2004 11:51:16 -0700, (RoryBellows) wrote:

Hi All,

Tried to use the new outside water to wash the car on Sat and
found a little problem. When I screw the hose on all the way to the
spigot, even as tight as possible, it leaks and sprays water
everywhere. Gasket maybe?? Not to sure, any ideas how to fix??

Thanks to all who reply!!!

RBS

Did you check the end of the hose to see if the washer was still in
place?

JMagerl September 27th 04 10:43 PM

mine does the same thing. its a defect on mine. the threads don't go deep
enough. So the turny thing is real tight but the end of the faucet doesnt
hit the washer. I use a rubber o ring for a washer which is thicker than a
flat washer and all is fine until I get the energy to replace the faucet.

om...

ROBMURR September 28th 04 02:20 AM

Try a good Gilmour Flexogen hose.
They are great and have an O ring
to stop leaks. I have very high water
pressure but cant break this hose.

Jon September 28th 04 03:09 AM

(RoryBellows) wrote in message . com...
Tried to use the new outside water to wash the car on Sat and
found a little problem. When I screw the hose on all the way to the
spigot, even as tight as possible, it leaks and sprays water
everywhere. Gasket maybe?? Not to sure, any ideas how to fix??

Where's it leaking? If it's definitely from where the hose screws on,
try a new washer, or try doubling up two washers in the female hose
fitting.

Some faucets have an anti-siphon device that the hose screws into; if
this has failed it can leak. These also tend to spray out a bunch of
water when you shut off the faucet and relieve pressure in the hose.

--Jon

mwlogs September 28th 04 03:15 AM

First I'd check that there is washer in the end of the hose. No matter how
hard you tighten it, w/o the washer you'll get spray.

I bought one of those $2.99 "Y" fittings that have a shutoff on each side.
This fits the faucet nicely, and alsogets the hose end a few inches away
from the faucet so my fat little fingers can get to it to remove when
needed. I keep a short 4 ft peice on old hose without a nozzle on one side
of the "Y" that I use to fill watering cans (keeps from blasing the can with
the force from the nozzle), while the other side has my longer hose with the
sprayer/nozzle.