Mark Modrall

Default Newbie furnace question

Hi...

We have a 28 year old oil furnace that has started behaving oddly
(starts and stops a lot). Given the price of heating oil this year and
the fact that it was behaving funny we were thinking that this might be
the year to upgrade the old furnace with a new one. Our oil delivery
guys sent a repairman out to check out the furnace, and he said that the
old one was burning at 79% efficiency while a new furnace might burn at
about 83% efficiency and cost $5000 (installed).

The neighbors across the street replaced their furnace last year and
they said they've seen a significant drop in oil usage.

Is there some disconnect between what they say is the efficiency
rating and actual use?

Thanks
-mark

--
Put the .net on the .cod to send email
Greg O

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
[...]

First off, I doubt he measured the efficiancy of your furnace, few techs
know how to do it, or have the equipment to do it. If he did, I doubt it was
tht efficiant.

Second, your fuel oil supplier is the last place I would look for un-biased
information about whether you should change or not! (think about it, they
sell you oil!, Why would they care how efficiant your furnace is!) Find a
HVAC company to look it over.

Third, $5000 is crazy, unless it is an extremely diffecult install, and/or
labor rates are excessive in your area.

The last oil install I did was a difficult one, the old unit had to be cut
apart be cause it was too large to fit out of the home. Then add that it was
coupled to an electric air handler and AC. Thermostat wiring and fan
controls, safetys were a bitch! In our area our labor rates, and the bill
was $2500.
Greg

willshak

Mark Modrall wrote:

Hi...

We have a 28 year old oil furnace that has started behaving oddly
(starts and stops a lot). Given the price of heating oil this year and
the fact that it was behaving funny we were thinking that this might be
the year to upgrade the old furnace with a new one. Our oil delivery
guys sent a repairman out to check out the furnace, and he said that the
old one was burning at 79% efficiency while a new furnace might burn at
about 83% efficiency and cost $5000 (installed).

The neighbors across the street replaced their furnace last year and
they said they've seen a significant drop in oil usage.

Is there some disconnect between what they say is the efficiency
rating and actual use?

Thanks
-mark

Did you change the filter? That's what I do when the oil furnace coughs.
As for buying a new furnace, figure out how much you would save at 83%
efficiency compared to 79% efficiency and then figure how long you would
have to wait before you start seeing any savings after spending $5000
for a new furnace.

m Ransley

How did he measure efficiency . I paid 300 for a combustion gas
analysis, the equipment is expensive and you get a written print out.
You may be at 60% efficiency for all you know. And that test did not
show true efficiency. Get bids and learn. Can you go gas, gas can get
you 94.5% on many models. There are also higher efficiency oil units.
Repairing would be cheaper but first you must learn what you have and
what is offered. The oil Co does not benefit from you getting a new
efficient unit.

default

How did he measure efficiency . I paid 300 for a combustion gas
analysis, the equipment is expensive and you get a written print out.
You may be at 60% efficiency for all you know. And that test did not
show true efficiency. Get bids and learn. Can you go gas, gas can get
you 94.5% on many models. There are also higher efficiency oil units.
Repairing would be cheaper but first you must learn what you have and
what is offered. The oil Co does not benefit from you getting a new
efficient unit.

Err.. depends on what you mean by "efficiency".. One measure is
how much of the fuel you actually burn, and the other is how much
of the heat from the burnt fuel gets inside your house, vs. up the
chimney. What you actually CARE about is: how much of the
theoretical heat-content of the fuel you burn (which you can look up)
ends up inside the house?

To get that, you need to know three things:
How much fuel did you burn,
How much air did you pump through the system,
What was the average temperature difference
between the air going in, and the air going out?
The only "special equipment" you need is
a ruler, a thermometer, and something to measure
airflow.

--Goedjn

TURTLE

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

We have a 28 year old oil furnace that has started behaving oddly
(starts and stops a lot). Given the price of heating oil this year and
the fact that it was behaving funny we were thinking that this might be
the year to upgrade the old furnace with a new one. Our oil delivery
guys sent a repairman out to check out the furnace, and he said that the
old one was burning at 79% efficiency while a new furnace might burn at
about 83% efficiency and cost $5000 (installed).

The neighbors across the street replaced their furnace last year and
they said they've seen a significant drop in oil usage.

Is there some disconnect between what they say is the efficiency
rating and actual use?

Thanks
-mark

This is Turtle.

Any Furnace made 28 years ago can't be 79% AFUE for they did not know what AFUE
was then. I can remember the super high AFUE furnaces in the early 1980's was a
71% AFUE. In 1976 when your furnace was made, i don't think they had a 71% AFUE
but much less a 79% AFUE. I think you got a 60% to maybe a 70% AFUE furnace.

If you have a 28 year old furnace oil or gas. You would see a big difference in
cost to operate them. Hey Try for a 93+% AFUE furnace and see a big difference.

TURTLE

Jon

willshak wrote in message ...
Did you change the filter? That's what I do when the oil furnace coughs.
As for buying a new furnace, figure out how much you would save at 83%
efficiency compared to 79% efficiency and then figure how long you would
have to wait before you start seeing any savings after spending $5000
for a new furnace.

Just to make the obvious even more so.... he means the OIL filter, not
the AIR filter (although changing the air filter is a good thing to do
now & again).

--Jon
Mark Modrall

Hi...

well, I can supply some of those answers... We live in New England
(so we have some cold winters). We go through about 1500 gallons of oil
a year. We have hot water heat, not forced air. During the winter we
keep the house about 60 degrees, going down to about 50 at night. The
furnace drives 3-zone hot water heat + the water heater.

I have the sense that it's not as efficient as it could be but don't
know enough about the various metrics to sort it out myself.

Thanks
-Mark