Greg

Default Removing Wonderboard

The manufacturer says you should be wearing a respirator when you use power
tools on Wonderboard. Evidently the dust is nasty stuff
Charles Spitzer

"Greg" wrote in message
The manufacturer says you should be wearing a respirator when you use

power
tools on Wonderboard. Evidently the dust is nasty stuff

it's mostly concrete, so it's pretty alkaline. it's usually 1/2" thick. you
can get a handheld diamond bladed 4" wet saw. makita makes one. it cuts down
on the dust tremendously. you're going to get a lot of dust from the grout
and tile too. i'd seal off the room well if it were me.

JerryMouse

tioga 0630 wrote:
I watched Ron Hazelton's House Calls this weekend, and he parodied the
work of ripping up his wife's huge tile floor and replacing it with
tongue-and-groove.

He said a diamond-tipped blade on a circular saw will rip through the
grout AND the underlayment, but I need to know if a blade like this
would rip through wonderboard.

Also, what is the typical width of wonderboard, so that I'd know what
depth to set the blade angle at? The tile was laid in the mid/early
90's, when the homeowner was told that once wonderboard was there,
"you'll never rip the floor up again."

That, of course, presupposed the homeowner would never WANT to rip it
up, and now she does. And I'm the one who'd going to have to do the
ripping.

I'd paint over it.

tioga 0630

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

it's mostly concrete, so it's pretty alkaline. it's usually 1/2" thick. you
can get a handheld diamond bladed 4" wet saw. makita makes one. it cuts down
on the dust tremendously. you're going to get a lot of dust from the grout
and tile too. i'd seal off the room well if it were me.

Charles, Greg, everyone, thanks. I'm just trying to figure out if the
tile--not the old 4" x 4", but the big new size Hazelton's wife
had--would really be too difficult to pick up with a hammer and
chisel.

Mom let a supply valve on a toilet drip maybe for years in a powder
room adjacent to the main bathroom before I noticed it, and the black
mold under the tiny old tile there was a sight to behold. Now I want
to completely redo the bath/powder room, 'cause together them form a
12' x 12' square. Does Wonderboard grow mold? I know it's a stupid
question, but Mom's in love with this crappy big tile, and the only
way I figure of getting her to agree to tear it up is to tell her
there's black mold under it, too.

Thanks again, everyone.
Charles Spitzer

"tioga 0630" wrote in message
om...
[...]

tile/wonderboard/etc don't grow or provide nutrients for growing mold.
however, it could be there as there probably are small channels in the
thinset used to place the tiles which could be populated by mold. the only
way to tell is to take one up, and then you only know about at that
location. tell her you have to take them all up to check. lol

you can bust up the tile with hammer and chisel, level out the wonderboard
with a thin layer of thinset, and retile. you can also take up the
wonderboard down to whatever is under it too, but likely it's screwed and
glued/cemented down and you're going to damage the next layer too.

tioga 0630

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

you can bust up the tile with hammer and chisel, level out the wonderboard
with a thin layer of thinset, and retile. you can also take up the
wonderboard down to whatever is under it too, but likely it's screwed and
glued/cemented down and you're going to damage the next layer too.

Crap-a-doodle-doo, this is what I think's the case too. So then
there's no answer to the problem? I mean, I'd have to tear everything
down to the subflooring so that I'd be swinging from the joists?

I'm asking seriously, 'cause Mom always crows about how when she put
her wonderboard down, the guy said "this'll last forever. Nothing'll
ever make this loose." Now I know wonderboard is called wonderboard
because it doesn't let tiles get loose, but what kind of cement names
could I ask Mom if she remembers? ( A *BIG* "IF"!)