DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Grout caulk in a tube for tile? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/69048-grout-caulk-tube-tile.html)

[email protected] September 14th 04 08:11 PM

Grout caulk in a tube for tile?

Is it okay to use the groute in a tube caulk stuff to grout tile
instead of the poder groute you have to mix up? I grouted some tile
with the grout/caulk and it seems fine but I noticed all of the seams
are softer than normal grout but I have heard the tube grout/caulk is
made for total grout jobs.

The tile work I did was around a bath tub so it was not used for
flooring.

Charles Spitzer September 14th 04 08:32 PM

wrote in message
om...
Is it okay to use the groute in a tube caulk stuff to grout tile
instead of the poder groute you have to mix up? I grouted some tile
with the grout/caulk and it seems fine but I noticed all of the seams
are softer than normal grout but I have heard the tube grout/caulk is
made for total grout jobs.

The tile work I did was around a bath tub so it was not used for
flooring.

caulk is for caulking, it is not grout. it will never get hard. it's used
for the intersection between the tub and the tile, because there will be
some flex there over time. it isn't meant for use as a replacement for
grout.

that said, it'll probably be ok if you did a good job at it and have no
leaks anywhere. must have been a bear cleaning the tiles though. it'd be a
LOT harder to do a good job than using regular grout.

Charles Spitzer September 15th 04 08:01 PM

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
Actually they do sell premixed grout in a tube too. I bought some and

used
it for repair. I don't think it is as dense as regular grout and will
probably not use it again.

they may call it grout, but imho, if it doesn't contain a cement of some
sort, it isn't grout. since cement will cure irregardless of the presence of
oxygen, the tube would be solid pretty quickly if it contained a cement
product.

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

om...

jeffc September 19th 04 05:59 PM

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

wrote in message
om...
Is it okay to use the groute in a tube caulk stuff to grout tile
instead of the poder groute you have to mix up? I grouted some tile
with the grout/caulk and it seems fine but I noticed all of the seams
are softer than normal grout but I have heard the tube grout/caulk is
made for total grout jobs.

The tile work I did was around a bath tub so it was not used for
flooring.

caulk is for caulking, it is not grout. it will never get hard.

It's not caulk, it's grout. It gets hard.