James Owens

Default outlets per circuit question

In Ontario, according to one simplified guide, you can have up to 12 outlets
per circuit -- either light outlets or plug outlets, or both. But after
studying the guide, I'm not clear on this:

Does a standard AC wall outlet with two receptacles count as one "outlet"
or two?

--
"For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."
-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

SQLit

"James Owens" wrote in message

In Ontario, according to one simplified guide, you can have up to 12

outlets
per circuit -- either light outlets or plug outlets, or both. But after
studying the guide, I'm not clear on this:

Does a standard AC wall outlet with two receptacles count as one "outlet"
or two?

--
"For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."
-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

Here in the USA I use for residential load calculations 180 watts per outlet
or lights.
Unless I am privileged to an separate load that is known then I use it in
the calculations only if it is bigger than 180w.
So on an 15 amp circuit you could install 6 duplex recpts. The circuit load
is 80% of the breaker size.

Pretty sure Canada follows this formula

---

frank-in-toronto

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:27:38 -0700, "SQLit"
wrote:
snip
So on an 15 amp circuit you could install 6 duplex recpts. The circuit load
is 80% of the breaker size.

Pretty sure Canada follows this formula

why are you pretty sure? it might be the reason behind
the code, but it ISN'T the code. always wise to
split bewteen outlets and known loads such
as lights anyway. and wise also to use less
outlets than the max the code allows.
....thehick

Steve Nekias

The Canadian rule of 12 fixtures per circuit applies to lighting and
general purpose circuits only. If you have a circuit with 11
fixtures/outlets, you can add one additional fixture or outlet. That
doesn't necessarily mean that you should be plugging an air
conditioner into that outlet.

I believe the CEC states that a wall A/C should be on a dedicated
circuit. Of course if it's an existing home, you could plug it into
any circuit. I'd make sure you don't have any hydro-hungry appliances
like fridge/microwave on the circuit, and I wouldn't be plugging any
hair dryers into the same circuit.

Mr Fixit eh! from Belleville
Steve Nekias

Don't forget that the OP asked:
In Ontario, according to one simplified guide, you can have up to 12
outlets
per circuit -- either light outlets or plug outlets, or both. But
after studying the guide, I'm not clear on this:

Does a standard AC wall outlet with two receptacles count as one
"outlet"
or two?

It is true. The Canadian Electrical Code allows a maximum of 12
outlets per circuit for 15A lighting and general purpose circuits.
The CEC does not require a dedicated circuit for a wall A/C, but it is
recommended.

The answer for the OP is that a standard AC wall outlet with two
receptacles counts as one outlet for CEC purposes.

Of course the other comments above are valid. If he's wiring in a new
A/C unit, he should probably run a separate circuit because of the
high current draw. If it is existing wiring, he should be careful
when he is running the A/C not to draw much additional current from
other outlets on the circuit.

There is a small forum on Canadian Electrical Code at
www.selfhelpforums.com at which you might get additional help.

Mr Fixit eh in Belleville, Ontario
Steve Nekias

Maybe he was asking about AC as opposed to DC and wasn't asking about
A/C at all?

Funny, I assumed OP meant A/C.

If the OP meant AC, then the answer is that one duplex receptacle is
considered as one device. The CEC allows 12 devices (excluding
switches)on a general purpose circuit.

Mr Fixit eh from Ontario
Chip C

(James Owens) wrote in message ...
Alan ) writes:
On 15 Sep 2004 18:27:03 -0700,
(Steve Nekias)
wrote:

Don't forget that the OP asked:

Does a standard AC wall outlet with two receptacles count as one
"outlet"
or two?

The CEC does not require a dedicated circuit for a wall A/C, but it is
recommended.

Maybe he was asking about AC as opposed to DC and wasn't asking about
A/C at all?

So _that's_ how air conditioners got into it! No, I meant alternating
current -- redundant information, I suppose. Sorry to have caused
confusion, and thanks for the answer. There is no A/C involved but I will
probably not wire all 12 outlets -- maybe 10 per circuit. I do plan to mix
lighting fixtures and receptacles on each circuit. Also I will have more
in each room than is required to meet the code's "within six feet of any
point along the wall" specification. Thanks to all.

Now what's an "OP"?

OP is "original poster". That's you. Aren't your ears burning...?

A duplex outlet counts as one outlet-thing, as has been mentioned.
Simplex outlets are rare, duplex outlets are the norm, even (strangely
enough) on "dedicated" circuits like for fridges and freezers. I do
presume they are legal to install for that purpose.

Since you're mixing lighting fixtures and plug outlets, bear in mind
that per Canadian code, if there is even one light fixture ("lighting
outlet") on the circuit, you may use only a 15A breaker, even if all
the wiring is 12 gauge. (And no, I don't think I see the reason for
such a rule.)

Chip C
Toronto