stonecreek

Default lawn mower engine

A friend gave me a Sears self-propelled 6.0 HP lawn mower because he got
tired of messing with it. It's not very old and the symptoms a

When it's cold, it takes 3 or 4 pulls to start it. After it starts, it
runs fine even until the tank runs out. If you turn it off after it runs
for just a few minutes or much longer, then it will not start until the next
day. I have another Sears that isn't self propelled, but the carbs were
identical. I swapped carbs between the two and the symptoms are the same,
that is, the trouble stayed with the self-propelled.

Any ideas?

thanks

m Ransley

Could be the ignition module or coil is going, when you turn off a
motor it temporarily gets hotter probably triggering the module. Unless
if it has points it could be the condenser , be sure it is clean and
removing the shroud may temporarily help. Are fuel lines the same,
routed away from heat and the carb has the right gasket to prevent vapor
lock? Check for spark first when it wont start, if it has spark squirt
fuel in the carb.

Oscar_Lives

"stonecreek" wrote in message
A friend gave me a Sears self-propelled 6.0 HP lawn mower because he got
tired of messing with it. It's not very old and the symptoms a

When it's cold, it takes 3 or 4 pulls to start it. After it starts, it
runs fine even until the tank runs out. If you turn it off after it runs
for just a few minutes or much longer, then it will not start until the
next
day. I have another Sears that isn't self propelled, but the carbs were
identical. I swapped carbs between the two and the symptoms are the
same,
that is, the trouble stayed with the self-propelled.

Any ideas?

Yeah, it probably isn't the carburetor.

Maybe it is the loose nut behind the handle...

SJF

"stonecreek" wrote in message
A friend gave me a Sears self-propelled 6.0 HP lawn mower because he got
tired of messing with it. It's not very old and the symptoms a

When it's cold, it takes 3 or 4 pulls to start it. After it starts, it
runs fine even until the tank runs out. If you turn it off after it runs
for just a few minutes or much longer, then it will not start until the

next
day. I have another Sears that isn't self propelled, but the carbs were
identical. I swapped carbs between the two and the symptoms are the

same,
that is, the trouble stayed with the self-propelled.

Any ideas?

thanks

Loss of compression? Burned exhaust valve, worn rings?