Dick M.

Default 600-watt light dimmer overheats

I have six 75-watt incandescent lights being controlled
by a 600-watt rated dimmer. The dimmer is getting
very hot when the lights are set to full on. Is it possible
that these six lights are somehow drawing more amperes
than the dimmer can safely handle?
Dick

bumtracks

"Dick M." wrote in message
I have six 75-watt incandescent lights being controlled
by a 600-watt rated dimmer. The dimmer is getting
very hot when the lights are set to full on. Is it possible
that these six lights are somehow drawing more amperes
than the dimmer can safely handle?
Dick

I'd be curious if it is the only dimmer in the box ? And what make/model
dimmer.

If its the only dimmer in one box, 6 standard old 75w bulbs is fine.
Dimmers do get pretty hot, you say very hot which might mean something is
aloof.

Some dimmers have heat sink fins on the side or cover plate to disapate heat
and you derate wattage as you remove these fins. When two dimmers are
mounted side by side, depending on manufactor most will derate to 500 or 450
watts max, three dimmers and the middle dimmer might only be 300w.

default

If its the only dimmer in one box, 6 standard old 75w bulbs is fine.
Dimmers do get pretty hot, you say very hot which might mean something is
aloof.

I'm pretty sure you meant "amiss" here, not "aloof".

Joseph Meehan

Dick M. wrote:
I have six 75-watt incandescent lights being controlled
by a 600-watt rated dimmer. The dimmer is getting
very hot when the lights are set to full on. Is it possible
that these six lights are somehow drawing more amperes
than the dimmer can safely handle?
Dick

Are there any other devices other than that one dimmer in the work box?

In any case I would up the capacity of the dimmer. I don't like to run
them over 50% or their rated capacity.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Dick M.

This is the only dimmer switch in the box. If I get a 1000-watt
dimmer, will it be less hot than the 600-watt dimmer? Is that
because the components in the larger dimmer are more
efficient?
Dick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are there any other devices other than that one dimmer in the work box?

In any case I would up the capacity of the dimmer. I don't like to run
them over 50% or their rated capacity.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

Joseph Meehan

Dick M. wrote:
This is the only dimmer switch in the box. If I get a 1000-watt
dimmer, will it be less hot than the 600-watt dimmer? Is that
because the components in the larger dimmer are more
efficient?
Dick

Maybe, but I believe you will find it will also have cooling integrated
into the design

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are there any other devices other than that one dimmer in the work box?

In any case I would up the capacity of the dimmer. I don't like to run
them over 50% or their rated capacity.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Dick M.

How could the cooling design help? The heat has to get out thru
the wallplate regardless of the cooling design.
Dick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Maybe, but I believe you will find it will also have cooling integrated
into the design

Don Klipstein

In article Cfp1d.37734$9Y5.14014@fed1read02, Dick M. wrote:
How could the cooling design help? The heat has to get out thru
the wallplate regardless of the cooling design.
Dick

Most walls are hollow and heat can get out the sides of the switch box.

If your switch box has its sides covered, then I suspect this can reduce
the capacity of your dimmer.

- Don Klipstein )
Dick M.

That's what I thought. I guess the 600-watt specification on the dimmer is
overly optimistic.
Dick

wrote:

A dimmer turned wide open should not be hot. That should be it's coolest
operation. The heat associated with dimmers comes from converting energy that
would otherwise go to the lights to heat instead by use of resistance. There are
some advanced dimmers that use pulse width modulation to regulate instead, and
they run much cooler.

BB

Joseph Meehan

Dick M. wrote:
How could the cooling design help? The heat has to get out thru
the wallplate regardless of the cooling design.
Dick

I am not sure they are still making the same design dimmers that I am
was thinking of. The ones I was thinking of were or are built with cooling
fins on the faceplate and the even heavier duty ones took up two spaces in
the work box to get more cooling fins.

It could be that they are made with more efficient electronics today. I
really don't know. it has been a while since I have needed to work on such
a thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Maybe, but I believe you will find it will also have cooling integrated
into the design

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Jeff Wisnia

A dimer turned wide open should not be hot. That should be it's coolest
operation. The heat associated with dimmers comes from converting energy that
would otherwise go to the lights to heat instead by use of resistance. There are
some advanced dimmers that use pulse width modulation to regulate instead, and
they run much cooler.

BB

Sorry, you're wrong about that.

You may be remembering those old theater light dimmers which were huge
variable resistors, sometimes even with fan cooling to keep them from
burning up.

I'd bet my virginity that there's never been a household dimmer made
which will fit into a standard switch sized electrical box that doesn't
use pulse width modulation.

And, those dimmers DO dissipate the most heat when they are full on,
because the average current is highest then, and it's the average
current times the voltage drop across the semiconductor junction(s)
which produces the heat.

I did visit an old mansion (The Hammond Castle in Gloucester,
Massachusetts) and seem to recall noting there was a big variac mounted
on the wall which was used to dim some lights. But the place was built
in the 20s, and by an inventor with electrical know-how, so that could
have been just a one-of-a-kind thing, and it was hardly representative
of the kind of dimmers you were describing.

HTH,

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Jeff Wisnia

"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Maybe, but I believe you will find it will also have cooling integrated
into the design

The semiconductor manufacturers have been continuously improving
(lowering)the "on resistance" (A parameter called Rdon) of their power
switching devices, and the lower that resistance, the less heat is
generated for a given average current.

Economics being what they are, the chincier manufacturers will use older
lower cost semiconductors as long as they can get away with it

Short of putting on an electrical engineering hat, setting up a
measuring system, and comparing different makes of dimmers, there's no
practical way to tell from just the "wattage rating" exactly how hot one
dimmer will run compared to another.

HTH,

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)