Alistair Smythe

Default Toilet does not flow well

When I flush my toilet the water does not flow down. The tank fills the
toilet and it almost floods the bathroom then the water slowly empties from
the tank. I have plunged and have not made any head way. What can I do?

Joseph Meehan

Alistair Smythe wrote:
When I flush my toilet the water does not flow down. The tank fills the
toilet and it almost floods the bathroom then the water slowly empties
from
the tank. I have plunged and have not made any head way. What can I do?

I sure sounds like something is clogging the flow. If you have young
kids in the house, I'll bet one of them is missing a toy.)

It will need to be snaked. The tools are available at the hardware
store. It does not usually take any special skill, but it can be a messy
job and sometimes the snake the sell at the hardware store is not up to the
job. You may just want to call in the plumber.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Steve Nekias

It would appear that you have a blockage in your drain pipe system.
If you are on a septic system, make sure the tank is not over-full.

Calling a plumber would be the clean way to solve the problem, doing
it yourself will likely be dirty and stinky.

I'd try a plumbing tool called a "snake" first. There is a short
version designed for toilets that has a bend that fits into the toilet
trap which prevents scratching the porcelain. You rotate the snake as
you feed it into the toilet trap, and if you're lucky, the pointed end
of the snake will snag whatever is blocking the drain and you can pull
it out.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to start opening up cleanout
downline from the toilet. You can run in a full length snake into
each cleanout until the snake eventually snags the blockage.

Good luck.

Mr Fixit eh
Ed Clarke

In article , Steve Nekias wrote:

Calling a plumber would be the clean way to solve the problem, doing
it yourself will likely be dirty and stinky.

However... remember the plumber's creed: If it stinks, it's money!
FurPaw

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Alistair Smythe wrote:

When I flush my toilet the water does not flow down. The tank fills the
toilet and it almost floods the bathroom then the water slowly empties
from
the tank. I have plunged and have not made any head way. What can I do?

I sure sounds like something is clogging the flow. If you have young
kids in the house, I'll bet one of them is missing a toy.)

Or roots have invaded your sewer drain pipe - another common cause for
blockage.

It will need to be snaked. The tools are available at the hardware
store. It does not usually take any special skill, but it can be a messy
job and sometimes the snake the sell at the hardware store is not up to the
job. You may just want to call in the plumber.

Our sewer drain pipe was recently blocked about 28 feet out from the
cleanout hole. Reaming out the pipe took an industrial strength
(motorized) snake, run by a plumber. I suppose you might be able to
rent such a snake, but calling a plumber was much easier - if more
expensive.

FurPaw
--

"Like the reason a dog
Has so many friends

To reply, unleash the dog

Joseph Meehan

FurPaw wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Alistair Smythe wrote:

[...]

Sorry to say, but most of the time once roots get into a pipe, it is a
sign that they will be back. It means you have water hungry roots in the
area and you have a leak in your pipe. The roots go for the leak and follow
it right into the pipe. The only real fix is replacement of, at least, that
section of pipe.

FurPaw

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Stormin Mormon

go to the hardware store and ask for a "closet auger". The cheep one is
about $8, the good one is $25, and the industrial one is about $40.

Either it comes with instructions, or ask how to use it. Put the snake down
the bowl, crank for awhile. Flush to rinse off the snake. Retract snake.

Not dificult, but takes some figuring out to make the thing work.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Alistair Smythe" Alistair wrote in message
When I flush my toilet the water does not flow down. The tank fills the
toilet and it almost floods the bathroom then the water slowly empties from
the tank. I have plunged and have not made any head way. What can I do?

FurPaw

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Sorry to say, but most of the time once roots get into a pipe, it is a
sign that they will be back. It means you have water hungry roots in the
area and you have a leak in your pipe. The roots go for the leak and follow
it right into the pipe. The only real fix is replacement of, at least, that
section of pipe.

Yep, I know. It's on the money pit list.

FurPaw

--
"In a sense, we are hallucinating all the time.
What we call normal vision is our selecting the

To reply, unleash the dog
Raptornaut

Could be that there's not enough water going into the bowl to make a good
flush (it takes a minimum amount of water in the bowl to force its way past
the 'p' trap and down the drain...not enough water results in slow flushes).
Do this: fill a bucket about half way with water. Flush your toilet, and
while it's flushing, start pouring water into the bowl from the bucket. If
it flushes fine, look at adjusting the water level in your tank higher (to
force more water down the bowl when you flush), if it doesn't, look in the
bowl during a flush to see if the holes under the rim of the bowl are not
letting the water flow sufficiently into the bowl (how old is the toilet?)..
If that's the case, you can't really clean the holes...just get a new
toilet.

If the bucket trick doesn't work and the bowl fill holes are clean and
flowing strongly, buy the toilet auger and try it in the toilet.

If it's the main line that is clogged, you'd notice more than just one
toilet draining slowly, you'd notice sinks, bathtubs and other toilets
draining slowly, since they all share the one line to the city sewer line.

Good luck...