Old June 15th 21, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad 3-Way Switch-- Again

A couple of years ago, I replaced a pair of little-used (and only during
the summer) standard 20 amp Leviton 3-way toggle light switches
controlling a Hunter Original ceiling fan because at least one of the
switches had failed.

I installed the same then-current model Levitons and everything worked
fine for a few years. And don't you know, at least one of them has just
now failed!

The original switches and the fan were installed during a room addition
construction project by a licensed electrician hired by the general
contractor whom we've used for years and does very good work.

What are the chances of this being just a random second switch failure
vs. needing to get an electrician out to check it over?

--
Not saying lumber prices are getting out of hand but I was thinking of
building a birdhouse except the bank turned down the loan

Old June 15th 21, 03:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett writes:
A couple of years ago, I replaced a pair of little-used (and only during
the summer) standard 20 amp Leviton 3-way toggle light switches
controlling a Hunter Original ceiling fan because at least one of the
switches had failed.

I installed the same then-current model Levitons and everything worked
fine for a few years. And don't you know, at least one of them has just
now failed!

The original switches and the fan were installed during a room addition
construction project by a licensed electrician hired by the general
contractor whom we've used for years and does very good work.

What are the chances of this being just a random second switch failure
vs. needing to get an electrician out to check it over?

The chances are high that you've got a problem that should be
looked at.
Old June 15th 21, 03:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 10:21:07 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
A couple of years ago, I replaced a pair of little-used (and only during
the summer) standard 20 amp Leviton 3-way toggle light switches
controlling a Hunter Original ceiling fan because at least one of the
switches had failed.

I installed the same then-current model Levitons and everything worked
fine for a few years. And don't you know, at least one of them has just
now failed!

The original switches and the fan were installed during a room addition
construction project by a licensed electrician hired by the general
contractor whom we've used for years and does very good work.

What are the chances of this being just a random second switch failure
vs. needing to get an electrician out to check it over?

For the price of a switch vs. an electrician, I'd give at least one more switch
a try - and I'm as anal as they come about finding the root cause.

I've had problems with various Leviton devices, including exhaust fan humidistat
switches and smart dimmer plugs. Granted, those devices are a bit more complicated
than a 3-way switch, but if the company quality control issues, it could be product-line
wide.
Old June 15th 21, 04:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 10:54:31 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Wade Garrett writes:
A couple of years ago, I replaced a pair of little-used (and only during
the summer) standard 20 amp Leviton 3-way toggle light switches
controlling a Hunter Original ceiling fan because at least one of the
switches had failed.

I installed the same then-current model Levitons and everything worked
fine for a few years. And don't you know, at least one of them has just
now failed!

The original switches and the fan were installed during a room addition
construction project by a licensed electrician hired by the general
contractor whom we've used for years and does very good work.

What are the chances of this being just a random second switch failure
vs. needing to get an electrician out to check it over?

The chances are high that you've got a problem that should be
looked at.

Just for the sake of discussion, what problems can you think of that would
break a 3-way switch?

Obvious signs of arcing, loose connections, etc. would certainly be something
to look for, but outside of that, e.g. if the switch has failed mechanically, can
you think of anything that could cause that?

Old June 15th 21, 04:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett writes:
[...]

'nuf said.

Two failures on something as ultra-reliable as a Leviton switch?

Was the correct switch chosen for the application? Switching motor
loads isn't the normal job for a residential light switch.

Old June 15th 21, 04:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett writes:
[...]

Stranger things have certainly happened.

As I noted in an earlier post, I have had problems with higher-end
Leviton devices - humidistats and smart plugs. Their quality control
issues could be systemic.

Was the correct switch chosen for the application? Switching motor
loads isn't the normal job for a residential light switch.

He did say a licensed electrician installed the original switch and then he
replaced it with the same switch. Sure, not all licensed electricians are
equal, so it could have been the wrong switch to start with.
Old June 15th 21, 05:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 9:21:07 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
A couple of years ago, I replaced a pair of little-used (and only during
the summer) standard 20 amp Leviton 3-way toggle light switches
controlling a Hunter Original ceiling fan because at least one of the
switches had failed.

I installed the same then-current model Levitons and everything worked
fine for a few years. And don't you know, at least one of them has just
now failed!

The original switches and the fan were installed during a room addition
construction project by a licensed electrician hired by the general
contractor whom we've used for years and does very good work.

What are the chances of this being just a random second switch failure
vs. needing to get an electrician out to check it over?

--
Not saying lumber prices are getting out of hand but I was thinking of
building a birdhouse except the bank turned down the loans.

The instructions say to use a general use switch. I found another reference that
said the load would be 2 amps with just the fan, 3 amps with a light.
https://images.thdstatic.com/catalog/pdfImages/95/95972943-218d-41ac-80e6-aaaadcc8b9d2.pdf
Old June 15th 21, 05:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett writes:
[...]

What would be the right switch to use?

It's a 20 amp switch on a 20 amp circuit. There are several outlets on
that circuit-- but the fan is the only thing the switch controls. Hunter
says the fan draws 2 amps.
Old June 15th 21, 06:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett writes:
[...]

Is there a special kind of switch for motors I should get?

This is a 20 amp switch on a 20 amp circuit controlling a fan that the
mfr says draws only 2 amps.

There are several outlets on the circuit but the switch only controls
the fan.
Old June 15th 21, 06:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/21 12:50 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

The Hunter Fan website says 2 amps for my model also.