Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

"Price point" instead of "price."

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 2:31:42 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

And we don't say "parkway" in the UK. It's a road.

In the US a parkway is a road usually in the mountains that is designed
for the people to enjoy looking at the mountains and what they can see.
Not really ment for peopel to get anywhere very fast. Often restricted
to not let commercial vehicles on it.

Generally speaking, yes. We've got a road called "Huron Parkway" that is
just an ordinary road. It's somewhat scenic, if you like trees. It winds
several miles from one busy 5-lane road to another one (in contrast to
many roads around here that were platted out on a grid). There's no restriction
on who may drive on it.

Metro Parkway near Detroit is one of those roads platted out on a
grid. It changes its name several times; "Big Beaver Road" always gets a
laugh. It could reasonably called 16 Mile Road, to match the system used
by a number of Detroit-area roads.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 12:45:07 AM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
"micky" wrote in message

What's the other pronunciation?

Leeever-idge.

For those of us who do not pronounce "lever" as "Leeever", the
"annoying" pronunciation makes sense.

"Please hand me that levver. I need to get some levveridge."
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 07:08:16 -0400, Buck Fiden, another mentally challenged,
troll-feeding senile asshole, babbled:

The leftist MSM propagandists calling themselves journalists.

Troll-feeding blathering and gossiping senile cretins such as your kind on
these groups annoy me! It almost hurts to be confronted with THAT much
stupidity and senility! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:20:27 -0400, Wade Garrulous, another mentally
handicapped, troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered:

"Price point" instead of "price."

Anything else, blithering idiot? Or is that the only one?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 07:42:01 -0400, Wolffan, another demented senile twit,
babbled:

What about "Don't feed the troll", troll-feeding asshole?

You are one sick kiddie.

I wonder if it is possible for the community of contributors
to this NG to get you shut down on the simple basis of
your repeatedly exceeding the Breidbart limit?

Just killfile him. I did.

He can't do it. Just like you and all the others here can't do it. Though
all of you are OBVIOUSLY senile, you STILL feel that I'm posting nothing but
the TRUTH.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On 6/11/2021 9:20 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

"Price point" instead of "price."

They have different meanings and not interchangeable. I guess many
don't know that.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default What words or phrases annoy you?

I think its the weird way of using old words.
Our vision is that this will inform our policies toward carbon neutrality.
Ie lots of word to say, lets see if we can do it on the cheap, but I also
get annoyed by politicians dressing up things as something else.
We were at that time blind to this.
Instead of, I cocked it up cos I never read the memo, and in any case why
is blind used in that context? Blind is simply in the lack of sight. I mean
blind drunk, Blind faith, blind alley??

I also get annoyed with a gradual change to the names of organisations for
blind people calling themselves. Vision Australia, or London Vision, or
Vision foundation etc, Vision loss is fine, but these organisations sound
like some kind of hippy think tank, not a charity to help blind people, what
is wrong with blind, or vision loss or partially sighted??

Nothing, its yet another buzz word in the war for being noticed, but now
everyone has done it they all sound the same again!

The word Overarching seems to have been created in the last 15 years or so.
Strange nebulous word.

My mission statement is to restore plain speaking...
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

I don't tap or click my computer I operate it with the keyboard. I get
annoyed by sites that say for more info tap here, then hide it way down the
tab order in a page so you loose the will to live trying to focus it to
operate it.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:48:03 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Draw instead of drawer with a chest of draws on facebook.
Not annoy so much as just ****ed.

Commander Kinsey wrote

Tap instead of click.

You don't click anything with a smartphone.

You might aswell call it a click. It's precisely the same action. I even
see instructions on how to fix things say "tap or click", like phone users
are too stupid to know that click can be done with your finger.

App instead of program.

Works better than prog.

They both sound stupid. But as an Aussie you're more used to excessive
shortening of everything, like "arvo" would never be acceptable in the UK.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).

Not that pathetically anal.

The pathetic are the ones that insist on using the "correct" one.

Slowed up instead of slowed down
(slow is less speed, so must be down).

Not that pathetically anal.

It's a blatant contradiction!

People who write computer programs
that say "hello world" and nothing else

Doesn't happen enough to matter anymore.

I only need to see it once to want to kill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:13:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/11/2021 9:20 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

"Price point" instead of "price."

They have different meanings and not interchangeable. I guess many
don't know that.

Exactly
In the simplest terms price is an absolute number and price point is
an approximate price they are shooting for in development.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default Disgusting Troll-feeding Senile Blind Mole Alert!

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:49:41 +0100, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

I don't tap or click my computer I operate it with the keyboard. I get
annoyed by sites that say for more info tap here, then hide it way down the
tab order in a page so you loose the will to live trying to focus it to
operate it.
Brainless & Daft

I get annoyed by your feeding every idiotic filthy troll, you disgusting
handicapped blind mole!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 10:49:52 AM UTC-4, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I don't tap or click my computer I operate it with the keyboard.

....snip...

Apparently the folks at Merriam-Webster disagree with you.

The act of selecting an item on a computer with a mouse (or keyboard) is defined as a "click".
The act of pushing a button or moving a switch is also defined as a "click"..

click
\ ˈklik \
clicked; clicking; clicks
transitive verb

1: to strike, move, or produce with a click
- clicked his heels together
2: to select especially in a computer interface by pressing a button on a control device (such as a mouse)
3a: to turn (something) on or off by pushing a button or moving a switch
- She clicked off the light, and we were plunged into darkness again.
- I just kept fumbling till I found the remote and pulled it up out of the cracks of the couch and clicked the TV off.
b: to change or move through (channels) especially by pushing buttons on a remote control

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:47:50 +0100, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

My mission statement is to restore plain speaking...
Brainless & Daft

Your mission statement is to feed and support the most idiotic and filthiest
trolls on these groups, you disgusting troll-feeding blind mole!

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 2021 at 5:58:03 AM MST, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote
:

On 6/11/2021 7:08 AM, Buck Fiden wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

The leftist MSM propagandists calling themselves journalists.

Tucker Carlson

Those on the left tend to use more sources, and the sources they use tend to
be more accurate.

Those on the right tend to seek out less reliable sources -- hence why Fox is
both the least reliable network AND the most trusted.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:23:56 -0400, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:36:53 +0100, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.

That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

App instead of program.

Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only
about phones annoys me.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).

Yes, people should get that right.

Saying less when they mean fewer is annoying to me. My local news makes
that mistake almost daily. "Less people attended the art festival this
year." Less people? WTH is that? Amputees? They mean fewer people, of
course, but it annoys me that I have to mentally translate.

Also, orientated instead of oriented, or drownded instead of drowned.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I think its the weird way of using old words.
Our vision is that this will inform our policies toward carbon
neutrality.
Ie lots of word to say, lets see if we can do it on the cheap, but I also
get annoyed by politicians dressing up things as something else.
We were at that time blind to this.

Instead of, I cocked it up cos I never read the memo, and in any case why
is blind used in that context? Blind is simply in the lack of sight. I
mean blind drunk, Blind faith, blind alley??

Those terms are useful. What other term would you use that is better ?

I also get annoyed with a gradual change to the names of organisations for
blind people calling themselves. Vision Australia, or London Vision, or
Vision foundation etc, Vision loss is fine, but these organisations sound
like some kind of hippy think tank, not a charity to help blind people,
what is wrong with blind, or vision loss or partially sighted??

Too long.

You get the same problem with disabled, the worst of the fools
dont like to admit that they are disabled and use other silly terms.

LGT* is even worse, I cant even get google to show me the latest version.

Its obvious why they do it by result is stupid.

Nothing, its yet another buzz word in the war for being noticed, but now
everyone has done it they all sound the same again!

The word Overarching seems to have been created in the last 15 years or
so. Strange nebulous word.

My mission statement is to restore plain speaking...

The death squad has its orders...

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Why is there no word as morer?

Because its what a little preschooler would say.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 6/11/2021 9:20 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

"Price point" instead of "price."

They have different meanings and not interchangeable. I guess many don't
know that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:46:33 +0100, Andy Bennet posted for all of us to
digest...

On 10/06/2021 17:36, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

At this present moment in time.

At the end of the day.

In the final analysis.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:13:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

On 6/11/2021 9:20 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

"Price point" instead of "price."

They have different meanings and not interchangeable. I guess many
don't know that.

Profit & mark up.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Marilyn Manson wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I don't tap or click my computer I operate it with the keyboard.

Apparently the folks at Merriam-Webster disagree with you.

But he is a pom/limey/brit, so Merriam-Webster is irrelevant.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:37:13 -0700 (PDT), posted for all
of us to digest...

"micky" wrote in message

What's the other pronunciation?

Leeever-idge.

For those of us who do not pronounce "lever" as "Leeever", the
"annoying" pronunciation makes sense.

"Please hand me that levver. I need to get some levveridge."

The juxtaposition of bring and take in usage.

Bring that cretin to the station.

Take that cretin to the station.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 2021 at 4:08:16 AM MST, "Buck Fiden" wrote
:

Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else
- clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

The leftist MSM propagandists calling themselves journalists.

Why focus on the left when Fox is the least reliable... but also the most
trusted (conservatives seek out unreliable sources to trust).

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow
superior by attacking the messenger.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

[...]

It's not the disabled who wantb other terms. It's those who "feel" for them.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:27:21 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I don't tap or click my computer I operate it with the keyboard.

Apparently the folks at Merriam-Webster disagree with you.

But he is a pom/limey/brit, so Merriam-Webster is irrelevant.

So WHICH dictionary is relevant for an idiot like you and him, senile
Ozzietard? BG

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:20:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Why is there no word as morer?

Because its what a little preschooler would say.

Nope, because both of you are brain damaged senile idiots!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

on 6/10/2021, micky supposed :
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.

That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

App instead of program.

Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only
about phones annoys me.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).

Yes, people should get that right.

Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).

Doesn't bother me. But it is interesting that people say both and
mean the same thing.

People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else -
clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.

My own car radios have all been factory, but the truck I'm borrowing
says "Hi there" and something like Have a nice day, when I turn it on or
off.

Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.

It hasn't come up. I suppose people get it right or I might notice.

Forward instead of forwards.

Havben't noticed.

Also. i.e. instead of e.g. People get that wrong more than half of the
time, and in reverse too, wrong more than half the time. If they don't
understand Latin, they should use English. Maybe they should use
English even if they do understand Latin. It looks like an affectation,
even in books.

I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".

Yes, different from is 'more better' than ( ===another pet peeve,
than/that ) the other one. Maybe 'more better' is similar to what Rod
was thinking about - 'more' modifier is completely unneeded superflouos
and pretty ( === another one ) redundant even though better is not
actually a superlative.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:18:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Those terms are useful. What other term would you use that is better ?

WTF has all this **** got to do with the three ngs you keep crossposting it
to, senile Ozzie troll?

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

[...]

Don't believe that, I have seen some disabled groups that do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

on 6/10/2021, micky supposed :
Kinsey" wrote:

[...]

No it wasn't.

'more' modifier is completely unneeded superflouos

Some of those add emphasis.

and pretty ( === another one ) redundant even though better is not
actually a superlative.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On 6/11/2021 3:51 PM, charles wrote:
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

[...]

Yes, the world is a better place since we no longer have retarded or
crippled people.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 06:37:54 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

No

LOL Sick idiot!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 06:36:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

It's not the disabled who wantb other terms. It's those who "feel" for
them.

Don't believe that, I have seen some disabled groups that do that.

ROTFLOL! ...and the pathological auto-contradicting continues...

What an ASSHOLE! LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On 6/11/21 10:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/11/2021 9:20 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

"Price point" instead of "price."

They have different meanings and not interchangeable.* I guess many
don't know that.

The difference being.......?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On 6/11/21 4:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/11/2021 3:51 PM, charles wrote:
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

[...]

Back in the day, Moron, Imbecile and Idiot had specific IQ ranges to be
classified as such...

--

I yelled COW! at a woman on a bike and she gave me the finger. Then
she plowed her bike straight into the cow. I tried...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.

That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

App instead of program.

Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only
about phones annoys me.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).

Yes, people should get that right.

Saying less when they mean fewer is annoying to me. My local news makes
that mistake almost daily. "Less people attended the art festival this
year." Less people? WTH is that? Amputees? They mean fewer people, of
course, but it annoys me that I have to mentally translate.

Also, orientated instead of oriented, or drownded instead of drowned.

How about the misuse of evacuate?

"100 people were evacuated"

I bet that was messy

Definition of evacuate

transitive verb
1 : to remove the contents of : empty
2 : to discharge from the body as waste : void
3 : to remove something (such as gas or water) from especially by
pumping
4a : to remove especially from a military zone or dangerous area
b : to withdraw from military occupation of

You can evacuate a building but you can't evacuate people unless you
pump their stomach or give them an enema.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:45:39 -0400, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 12:08:12 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 3:01:13 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:
Rod Speed explained on 6/10/2021 :

That damned yankee phrase I cant think of for the moment.
Cayn't get theyah from heeyah.

I don't think he means "Yankee" the way we mean "Yankee".

He'll probably think of it at some point and enlighten us.

Cindy Hamilton

To the rest of the world, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a northerner.

For me, you can stop there. :-)

To a Northerner, a Yankee is someone from New England.
To a New Englander, a Yankee is someone from Maine.
To someone from Maine, a Yankee is someone who eats apple pie for
breakfast.