Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Built to Rent

A talk show mentioned built to rent housing developments. The houses are on the modest end of the scale. A nearby town might have something like that. There is an area of identical duplexes. They don't look like anything fancy from the outside but people at least have a little yard and a garage. The garages are in the middle of the duplexes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradhunter/2020/01/16/the-new-face-of-rental-housing--single-family-built-for-rent/?sh=251be2483a10
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote

A talk show mentioned built to rent housing developments.
The houses are on the modest end of the scale. A nearby
town might have something like that. There is an area of
identical duplexes. They don't look like anything fancy
from the outside but people at least have a little yard and
a garage. The garages are in the middle of the duplexes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradhunter/2020/01/16/the-new-face-of-rental-housing--single-family-built-for-rent/?sh=251be2483a10

Some of ours are a lot better done than that
https://goo.gl/maps/o8qTkzWfhQJJgg9w9
its surprisingly big inside and has a small yard at the back for each unit.

Not for rent either, each one is owned.

Yours is stick built and the way the roof water is done is completely
****ed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:30:59 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

Yours is stick built and the way the roof water is done is completely
****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water? Since it's in the West, where water
rights are to my way of thinking frankly crazy, it's possible that the people who
own or live in the house don't own the rights to the water that falls on it.
If that's the case, they must let it run to wherever it has always run.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yours is stick built and the way the roof
water is done is completely ****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water?

That short section lying on the ground next to the path
isnt going to last long and the vertical looks bad too.

Since it's in the West, where water rights are to my way of
thinking frankly crazy, it's possible that the people who own
or live in the house don't own the rights to the water that falls on it.
If that's the case, they must let it run to wherever it has always run.

But dont have to do the pipe in such a ****ed way.

In my dad's last house but one, there is a heavy galvanised
chain from the roof eaves with a small square of gravel at the
bottom like with that pic. That looks much better and will last
forever. Works the same water rights wise if that applys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yours is stick built and the way the roof
water is done is completely ****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water?

That short section lying on the ground next to the path
isnt going to last long and the vertical looks bad too.
Since it's in the West, where water rights are to my way of
thinking frankly crazy, it's possible that the people who own
or live in the house don't own the rights to the water that falls on it..
If that's the case, they must let it run to wherever it has always run.

But dont have to do the pipe in such a ****ed way.

In my dad's last house but one, there is a heavy galvanised
chain from the roof eaves with a small square of gravel at the
bottom like with that pic. That looks much better and will last
forever. Works the same water rights wise if that applys.

Did they let the water drain right down along the foundation?

If so, that - to use your word - is ****ed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/21 1:11 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
[...]

Usually these "rain chains" are used where the eaves overhang the
foundation by quite a bit.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/gutters...l-a-rain-chain
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yours is stick built and the way the roof
water is done is completely ****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water?

That short section lying on the ground next to the path
isnt going to last long and the vertical looks bad too.

It's standard aluminum downspout. Nearly every house in the
U.S. has the same thing and it lasts as long as it needs to.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marilyn Manson" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, the gravel pit at the bottom of the chain is the top of a pipe that
takes the water out to the road kerb and into the council storm water drain.

If so, that - to use your word - is ****ed.

It works fine in sandy soil, its the same as before the house was there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, and it was a flat roof in a very heavy rainfall areas where decent
eaves are useful when coming home when its raining heavily.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/gutters...l-a-rain-chain

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 02:30:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Some of ours are a lot better done than that
https://goo.gl/maps/o8qTkzWfhQJJgg9w9
its surprisingly big inside and has a small yard at the back for each unit.

Not for rent either, each one is owned.

Yours is stick built and the way the roof water is done is completely
****ed.

Teaching the Yanks (just like the Brits, the Irish, the Europeans, etc.)
again who to do things properly, you brain damaged senile sociopath from Oz?
LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yours is stick built and the way the roof
water is done is completely ****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water?

That short section lying on the ground next to the path
isnt going to last long and the vertical looks bad too.

It's standard aluminum downspout.

The horizontal bit on the ground isnt.

Nearly every house in the U.S. has the same thing

Not the horizontal bit on the ground.

and it lasts as long as it needs to.

The horizontal bit on the ground doesn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ROTFLOL Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert, AGAIN!

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:36:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

It's standard aluminum downspout.

The horizontal bit on the ground isnt.

Nearly every house in the U.S. has the same thing

Not the horizontal bit on the ground.

and it lasts as long as it needs to.

The horizontal bit on the ground doesn't.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane auto-contradicting
senile pest? LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:36:31 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yours is stick built and the way the roof
water is done is completely ****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water?

That short section lying on the ground next to the path
isnt going to last long and the vertical looks bad too.

It's standard aluminum downspout.

The horizontal bit on the ground isnt.

Nearly every house in the U.S. has the same thing

Not the horizontal bit on the ground.

and it lasts as long as it needs to.

The horizontal bit on the ground doesn't.

That is just getting the water away from the house so the basement is
not as likely to flood. They usually use splash blocks for that. I
guess an extra 3" of aluminum was cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/10/2021 10:36 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:30:59 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

Yours is stick built and the way the roof water is done is completely
****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water? Since it's in the West, where water
rights are to my way of thinking frankly crazy, it's possible that the people who
own or live in the house don't own the rights to the water that falls on it.
If that's the case, they must let it run to wherever it has always run.

It's a fine distinction but you cannot impound the water. You can divert
the downspout to water your garden. You cannot fill a cistern or koi
pond. The water use laws in this state go back at least 100 years. They
may seem crazy to people in the wetlands but they're not as crazy as
settling water disputes with .30-30's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 20:13:20 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 06/10/2021 10:36 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:30:59 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

Yours is stick built and the way the roof water is done is completely
****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water? Since it's in the West, where water
rights are to my way of thinking frankly crazy, it's possible that the people who
own or live in the house don't own the rights to the water that falls on it.
If that's the case, they must let it run to wherever it has always run.

It's a fine distinction but you cannot impound the water. You can divert
the downspout to water your garden. You cannot fill a cistern or koi
pond. The water use laws in this state go back at least 100 years. They
may seem crazy to people in the wetlands but they're not as crazy as
settling water disputes with .30-30's.

Whiskey is for drinking and water is for fighting over - Mark Twain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yours is stick built and the way the roof
water is done is completely ****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water?

That short section lying on the ground next to the path
isnt going to last long and the vertical looks bad too.

It's standard aluminum downspout.

The horizontal bit on the ground isnt.

Nearly every house in the U.S. has the same thing

Not the horizontal bit on the ground.

and it lasts as long as it needs to.

The horizontal bit on the ground doesn't.

That is just getting the water away from the
house so the basement is not as likely to flood.

A chain works much better when you have a decent eave.

They usually use splash blocks for that.

And that would last much longer.

I guess an extra 3" of aluminum was cheaper.

It's a lot more than 3", you presumably meant 3'

Still a ****ed way to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 10:13:27 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 06/10/2021 10:36 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:30:59 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

Yours is stick built and the way the roof water is done is completely
****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water? Since it's in the West, where water
rights are to my way of thinking frankly crazy, it's possible that the people who
own or live in the house don't own the rights to the water that falls on it.
If that's the case, they must let it run to wherever it has always run.

It's a fine distinction but you cannot impound the water. You can divert
the downspout to water your garden. You cannot fill a cistern or koi
pond. The water use laws in this state go back at least 100 years. They
may seem crazy to people in the wetlands but they're not as crazy as
settling water disputes with .30-30's.

Thanks for the detail. The East is no stranger to water-rights weirdness.
IIRC there are places if anybody ever tied two logs together and floated
them downstream, it's a "navigable waterway" and subject to regulation.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 4:36:40 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yours is stick built and the way the roof
water is done is completely ****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water?

That short section lying on the ground next to the path
isnt going to last long and the vertical looks bad too.

It's standard aluminum downspout.

The horizontal bit on the ground isnt.

You're right. It's standard hinged downspout
extension. You can buy them on Amazon if you're
so inclined:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hinged+downspout+extension

Nearly every house in the U.S. has the same thing

Not the horizontal bit on the ground.
and it lasts as long as it needs to.

The horizontal bit on the ground doesn't.

How would you know? Do you have any direct experience
with it?

We use schedule 80 PVC for the same purpose at our house.
I expect it'll still be sitting there when I'm dead. How much longer
does it need to last? I'm confident whoever buys our house will say
"Oh, that 4" drainage pipe painted brown is so ugly" and replace it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yours is stick built and the way the roof
water is done is completely ****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water?

That short section lying on the ground next to the path
isnt going to last long and the vertical looks bad too.

It's standard aluminum downspout.

The horizontal bit on the ground isnt.

You're right. It's standard hinged downspout
extension. You can buy them on Amazon if you're
so inclined:

No thanks, a chain is much better.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hinged+downspout+extension

Nearly every house in the U.S. has the same thing

Not the horizontal bit on the ground.
and it lasts as long as it needs to.

The horizontal bit on the ground doesn't.

How would you know? Do you have any
direct experience with it?

Its obviously not going to last as long as a proper
galvanised chain.

We use schedule 80 PVC for the same purpose at our house.
I expect it'll still be sitting there when I'm dead.

You are completely irrelevant, it isnt just about you.

How much longer does it need to last?

Pathetic.

I'm confident whoever buys our house will say
"Oh, that 4" drainage pipe painted brown is so ugly" and replace it.

Wouldnt be necessary if it was done properly in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 20:06:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

Yeah, senile cretin, keep teaching those stupid Yanks what they get for
feeding you! BG

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/10/2021 10:36 AM, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, 'wetlands' are a sensitive topic around here. The Bitterroot and
Clark Fork rivers flood this time of year and do a lot of remodeling of
the channels. Trying to build a retaining wall on your property can be a
hassle.

Except for one are that is iffy nobody ever built too close to the river
but sometimes they cut a new channel in surprising places. A nature
reserve built a paved handicapped accessible trail and a picnic pavilion
that got eaten a couple of years later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:32:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

I agree but these houses were built on the cheap. My bet, with renters
that thing won't last a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:32:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, that's what I meant. With a chain the worst that
can happen is some little kid tries to climb it and it
pulls out of the gutter and has to be put back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:08:18 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
woman you know even if it is the only thing with a female name that stays
around around while you talk it to it.
Poor sad git who has to resort to Usenet and electronic devices for any
interaction as all real people run a mile to get away from you boring them
to death."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:08:18 +1000, "Rod Speed" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

You know nothing about water drainage from foundations.
Rain chains are basically a yuppie decoration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, that's much worse than some drunk A-hole ripping the
chain down and beating his wife with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

He had to use it. They took away his guns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 20:19:55 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:08:18 +1000, "Rod Speed" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:32:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

No, they are a downspout that will never block up, freeze and
split!!! The only real downspout solution in forested or semi-forested
areas with extreme weather. A regular downspout plugs up with leaves
or pine needles, water backs up from a thaw and splits the downpipe
when the temperature drops. Doesn't matter if the downspout is ABS,
aluminum, galvanized, copper, pvc, or cast iron - if it freezes it
splits. The chain just turns into a post and with a good strong wind
on a sunny day turns back into a chain
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:08:18 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:32:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

You are wrong, as always. With the two alternatives being
discussed, the water ends up in the same place. The rain
chain survives the renters forever, the other one doesn't.

You are free to have the bottom of a rain chain see the
water into a pipe under the ground taking it anywhere
you like, topped with a grid and gravel/stones to let
the water get into it there.

Rain chains are basically a yuppie decoration.

You have never had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

Cant happen with a plastic chain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 13:42:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You know nothing about water drainage from foundations.

You are wrong, as always.

No, you are auto-contradicting, as always, you abnormal trolling
octogenerian senile pest! LOL

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 13:43:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Cant happen with a plastic chain.

....and the auto-contradicting continues... ****ing hilarious!

--
about trolling senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

You're the one that started the chain discussion with "In my dad's
last house but one, there is a heavy galvanised chain from the
roof eaves" and then followed up with "Its obviously not going
to last as long as a proper galvanised chain."

Now you've switched to a cheap plastic chain. Oh, yeah, that'll look
great. Guaranteed longevity too. Idiot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed
wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Only when the house is for renters and it doesnt have to be cheap.

Oh, yeah, that'll look great.

No reason why it cant look the same as galvanised chain.

Guaranteed longevity too.

The plastic gutter drops last fine.

Idiot.

What a stunning line in rational argument you have there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 03:57:28 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed
wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Unless the renter's kids climb them, right?

Let's see, according to you, plastic downspout *extenders* (the subject of
this discussion) won't last when used on a rental property...

"My bet, with renters that thing won't last a week."

....but a plastic gutter chain will. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Idiot.

What a stunning line in rational argument you have there.

You're the one that changed horses mid-stream when tripped up by
your own words.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:36:31 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

" wrote in
message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed
wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

When done properly it will just pull out of the gutter and is
trivially replaced and is only a nuisance until it is replaced.

Let's see, according to you, plastic downspout *extenders* (the subject
of this discussion) won't last when used on a rental property...

"My bet, with renters that thing won't last a week."

That was Fretwell, not me.

...but a plastic gutter chain will. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Idiot.

What a stunning line in rational argument you have there.

You're the one that changed horses mid-stream when tripped up by
your own words.

More of your mindless bull****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:36:31 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

" wrote in
message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed
wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

What a stunning line of rational argument you have there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:36:31 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

" wrote in
message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed
wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Cant even manage its own lines, or anything else at all, either.

No horse was changed anywhere I did even trip up on the immense
piles of mindless bull**** pour from the back of you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:36:31 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

" wrote in
message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed
wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Was that supposed to be English? Are you so flustered that you can't
even put together a coherent response?

I'll move on and give you a chance to rest. I don't want you to hurt
yourself.