Old June 11th 21, 02:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Built to Rent

On 06/11/2021 03:35 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 10:13:27 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 06/10/2021 10:36 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:30:59 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

Yours is stick built and the way the roof water is done is completely
****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water? Since it's in the West, where water
rights are to my way of thinking frankly crazy, it's possible that the people who
own or live in the house don't own the rights to the water that falls on it.
If that's the case, they must let it run to wherever it has always run.

It's a fine distinction but you cannot impound the water. You can divert
the downspout to water your garden. You cannot fill a cistern or koi
pond. The water use laws in this state go back at least 100 years. They
may seem crazy to people in the wetlands but they're not as crazy as
settling water disputes with .30-30's.

Thanks for the detail. The East is no stranger to water-rights weirdness.
IIRC there are places if anybody ever tied two logs together and floated
them downstream, it's a "navigable waterway" and subject to regulation.

Yeah, 'wetlands' are a sensitive topic around here. The Bitterroot and
Clark Fork rivers flood this time of year and do a lot of remodeling of
the channels. Trying to build a retaining wall on your property can be a
hassle.

Except for one are that is iffy nobody ever built too close to the river
but sometimes they cut a new channel in surprising places. A nature
reserve built a paved handicapped accessible trail and a picnic pavilion
that got eaten a couple of years later.

Old June 11th 21, 03:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:32:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:36:31 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yours is stick built and the way the roof
water is done is completely ****ed.

What's ****ed about the roof water?

That short section lying on the ground next to the path
isnt going to last long and the vertical looks bad too.

It's standard aluminum downspout.

The horizontal bit on the ground isnt.

Nearly every house in the U.S. has the same thing

Not the horizontal bit on the ground.

and it lasts as long as it needs to.

The horizontal bit on the ground doesn't.

That is just getting the water away from the
house so the basement is not as likely to flood.

A chain works much better when you have a decent eave.

They usually use splash blocks for that.

And that would last much longer.

I guess an extra 3" of aluminum was cheaper.

It's a lot more than 3", you presumably meant 3'

Still a ****ed way to do it.

I agree but these houses were built on the cheap. My bet, with renters
that thing won't last a week.
Old June 11th 21, 07:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:32:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, that's what I meant. With a chain the worst that
can happen is some little kid tries to climb it and it
pulls out of the gutter and has to be put back.

Old June 11th 21, 07:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:08:18 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
woman you know even if it is the only thing with a female name that stays
around around while you talk it to it.
Poor sad git who has to resort to Usenet and electronic devices for any
interaction as all real people run a mile to get away from you boring them
to death."
MID:
Old June 12th 21, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:08:18 +1000, "Rod Speed" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

You know nothing about water drainage from foundations.
Rain chains are basically a yuppie decoration.

Old June 12th 21, 02:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, that's much worse than some drunk A-hole ripping the
chain down and beating his wife with it.
Old June 12th 21, 03:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

He had to use it. They took away his guns.

Old June 12th 21, 04:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 20:19:55 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:08:18 +1000, "Rod Speed" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:32:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

No, they are a downspout that will never block up, freeze and
split!!! The only real downspout solution in forested or semi-forested
areas with extreme weather. A regular downspout plugs up with leaves
or pine needles, water backs up from a thaw and splits the downpipe
when the temperature drops. Doesn't matter if the downspout is ABS,
aluminum, galvanized, copper, pvc, or cast iron - if it freezes it
splits. The chain just turns into a post and with a good strong wind
on a sunny day turns back into a chain
Old June 12th 21, 04:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:08:18 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:32:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

You are wrong, as always. With the two alternatives being
discussed, the water ends up in the same place. The rain
chain survives the renters forever, the other one doesn't.

You are free to have the bottom of a rain chain see the
water into a pipe under the ground taking it anywhere
you like, topped with a grid and gravel/stones to let
the water get into it there.

Rain chains are basically a yuppie decoration.

You have never had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

Old June 12th 21, 04:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

" wrote in message
[...]

Cant happen with a plastic chain.