DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/687039-washing-machine-water-supply-hose-replacement.html)

Wade Garrett June 6th 21 01:17 AM

Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel
braided hoses. I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of
the hoses.

Do these restrict the flow any?

I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed
and attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

Rod Speed June 6th 21 01:33 AM

Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

Wade Garrett wrote

I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel
braided hoses. I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of
the hoses.

Do these restrict the flow any?

Yes. but not enough to matter. The washer
at most takes as little longer to fill.

I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed
and attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

Depends on where the tap is, that determines what
works best and doesnt see the hose kinked.

\[email protected] June 6th 21 02:21 AM

Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

On 6/5/21 7:33 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Wade Garrett wrote

I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel
braided hoses. I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end
of the hoses.

Do these restrict the flow any?

Yes. but not enough to matter. The washer
at most takes as little longer to fill.

I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or
reversed and attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show
it both ways.

Depends on where the tap is, that determines what
works best and doesnt see the hose kinked.

As Rod said, it depends.

The previous owner of our house had installed the 2 faucets "upside
down" (???). IOW the threaded outlet pointing up, not down.

Rather that mess with resoldering them etc, what we did was attach the
straight end of the hose to the faucets, loop the hose up and over and
down to the washer inlets, using the 90 degree elbow ends pointing up,
not down. That way no kinks in hose. Looks odd but works.

We suspended the hoses with rope from drain pipes above.

[email protected] June 6th 21 02:26 AM

Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 19:17:40 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel
braided hoses. I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of
the hoses.

Do these restrict the flow any?

I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed
and attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

I think the 90 elbow is for getting the machine close to the back
wall without kinking or over-bending the hose.
... washer end or wall end depends on your plumbing setup.
They are quite common so I doubt that they restrict the flow
to any extent ..

I'm curious as to why you chose to go to braided SS ?
In my experience - the hose is what lasts the longest -
the valves and the screw-on connections - not so much.
John T.

Bob F June 6th 21 04:36 AM

On 6/5/2021 4:17 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel
braided hoses. I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of
the hoses.

Do these restrict the flow any?

I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed
and attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

After several failures over time on Water heater connection hoses, I
gave up on stainless braided hoses. They never seem to last over a
couple years before they leak. I suspect that the stainless is just a
sales gimmick and the hose they use inside it is cheap garbage to make
up for it.

On water heaters I use the corrugated metal connectors, and rubber on
the washer, plastic on sinks.

Rod Speed June 6th 21 05:12 AM

"Bob F" wrote in message
On 6/5/2021 4:17 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel
braided hoses. I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of
the hoses.

Do these restrict the flow any?

I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed
and attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

After several failures over time on Water heater connection hoses, I gave
up on stainless braided hoses. They never seem to last over a couple years
before they leak. I suspect that the stainless is just a sales gimmick and
the hose they use inside it is cheap garbage to make up for it.

I used them on my water heater and they have lasted fine.

Peeler[_4_] June 6th 21 10:02 AM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 09:33:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Do these restrict the flow any?

Yes. but not enough to matter. The washer
at most takes as little longer to fill.

You sure, you abnormal senile know-it-all? Senilely sure again? I bet
there's no difference at all!

--
Xeno to trolling senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."

Peeler[_4_] June 6th 21 10:04 AM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:12:25 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

After several failures over time on Water heater connection hoses, I gave
up on stainless braided hoses. They never seem to last over a couple years
before they leak. I suspect that the stainless is just a sales gimmick and
the hose they use inside it is cheap garbage to make up for it.

I used them on my water heater and they have lasted fine.

Of COURSE, they did, otherwise you wouldn't be able to auto-contradict, you
auto-contradicting senile pest! LMAO

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:

Buck Fiden June 6th 21 12:16 PM

On 6/5/21 7:17 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel braided hoses. I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of the hoses.

Do these restrict the flow any?

I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed and attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

In a proper install, the water supply threads should be pointing down.Â* The washing machine connection is horizontal so it makes sense to put the 90 elbow on the machine.

micky June 6th 21 02:33 PM

Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

wrote:

I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel
braided hoses. I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of
the hoses.

Do these restrict the flow any?

I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed
and attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

I think the 90 elbow is for getting the machine close to the back
wall without kinking or over-bending the hose.
... washer end or wall end depends on your plumbing setup.
They are quite common so I doubt that they restrict the flow
to any extent ..

I agree 100%.

I'm curious as to why you chose to go to braided SS ?

Because it's really depressing to being getting dressed in the morning
and hear a strange noise, and go to the washer and see water spraying
all over the room

In my experience - the hose is what lasts the longest -

Longest may not be long enough. Rubber hoses leak. The SS hoses are
rubber inside, but the steel braid keeps them from stretching until they
leak.

the valves and the screw-on connections - not so much.
John T.

I havent' had ANY trouble with valves or screw-on connections. I've had
my washing machine for 38 years and it was 4 years old when I moved in.

I did have to replace the drive belt, to make the basket start spinning
more reliably. This is a Sears Kenmore machine made by Whirlpool.

[email protected] June 6th 21 04:22 PM

Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 06:16:42 -0400, Buck Fiden
wrote:

On 6/5/21 7:17 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel braided hoses.
I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of the hoses.
I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed and
attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

In a proper install, the water supply threads should be pointing down.*

Dang !
.. now I'll have to fix mine - to make it "proper" .. :-)

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/washi...ting/p/3236324

John T.

micky June 6th 21 05:37 PM

Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 06 Jun 2021 10:22:54 -0400,
wrote:

Dang !
.. now I'll have to fix mine - to make it "proper" .. :-)

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/washi...ting/p/3236324

John T.

It's all in your perspective. If you were standing on your head, it
would look right side up.

Dan[_39_] June 6th 21 07:37 PM

wrote:

On 6/5/21 7:17 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel braided hoses.
I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of the hoses.
I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed and
attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

In a proper install, the water supply threads should be pointing down.

Dang !
.. now I'll have to fix mine - to make it "proper" .. :-)

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/washi...ting/p/3236324

John T.

A rubber hose stressed by a 90 degree bend and water hammer every time the washing machine inlet valve closes is a water leak waiting to happen.
No big deal in an unfinished basement but could do thousands in damage on a second floor.

micky June 7th 21 05:33 PM

Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

wrote:

On 6/5/21 7:17 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel braided hoses.
I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of the hoses.
I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed and
attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

In a proper install, the water supply threads should be pointing down.

Dang !
.. now I'll have to fix mine - to make it "proper" .. :-)

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/washi...ting/p/3236324

John T.

A rubber hose stressed by a 90 degree bend and water hammer every time the washing machine inlet valve closes is a water leak waiting to happen.
No big deal in an unfinished basement but could do thousands in damage on a second floor.

I forgot about water hammer. 90 degrees or not, it's absolutely a bigg
cause of leaks in washing machine hoses, and the steel covering prevents
the damage from excess swelling. When I was buying my steel hoses, the
manager of the hardware store told me they had a lot of people coming
with spurting hoses.

If you turned the water off every time you were done with the wash, the
leak would only start when you were around and only last until your
laundry was washed, but how many people do that.

They make a speed valve that will turn off both hot and cold easily, in
one stroke, , but it wasnt' clear it would fit on my fixtures, and it
would have to be way behind the washing machine. Others may have the
same objections because I never see that gizmo for sale.

I had a leak from the tube that goes to a toilet, chrome-plated copper?
Fortnately for me, I was only out of the house for 2 hours that day. It
still poured down into the basement and loosened the non-ceramic tile in
the powder room and hall. I ignored that and in a few days it appeared
to be stuck to the floor again.

Wade Garrett June 7th 21 06:45 PM

Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

On 6/5/21 7:17 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel
braided hoses. I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of
the hoses.

Do these restrict the flow any?

I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed
and attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

Thanks for all the help.

Decided on Eastman #41065 as Eastman has a good company reputation and
these hoses had a sturdier looking right angle connector than the
Certified or the other brands I looked at.

Scanty in-store washer water supply hose stock at local HD and Lowe's.
So I ordered from Amazon who had it for $2 less than Lowe's online- plus
I didn't have to drive back to the store to pick it up. I also ordered
something else I needed from Amazon which put me over the $25 free
delivery threshold.

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Tekkie© June 7th 21 10:57 PM

Washing Machine Water Supply Hose Replacement

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 10:22:54 -0400, posted for all of us
to digest...

wrote:

On 6/5/21 7:17 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I'm replacing the water supply hoses on my washer with stainless steel braided hoses.
I notice some models have a 90 degree elbow at one end of the hoses.
I'm also not sure if the elbow end is attached to the washer or reversed and
attached to the water supply valve. Youtube videos show it both ways.

In a proper install, the water supply threads should be pointing down.*

Dang !
.. now I'll have to fix mine - to make it "proper" .. :-)

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/washi...ting/p/3236324

John T.

Yeah, you better do it NOW or else... What else IDK.

--
Tekkie