Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Samsung TV & soundbar

Hi all, U Tube has decided that my 6 yr old LG 55" tv is not a smart tv
(whatever that is) LG has confirmed this. It had a doa connection for the sound
bar when I hooked one up about 18 months later-out of warranty, so I don't LG
again. We called it Loser Grade at work...

I am looking at Samsung TV's Can anyone give me advice on what to buy? Basic or
more features? What is a "Smart TV". What do the various screen types provide
that would benefit us? Should I buy last years model? Should I get a Samsung
sound bar? Looking at the Samsung site is like the tilt o whirl.

I am disabled so unpacking and setup must be done by others so a Walmart or
similar buy would be out of the question.

Let the thoughts flow, thanks in advance.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 15:13:05 -0400, Tekkie© wrote:

Hi all, U Tube has decided that my 6 yr old LG 55" tv is not a smart tv
(whatever that is) LG has confirmed this. It had a doa connection for the sound
bar when I hooked one up about 18 months later-out of warranty, so I don't LG
again. We called it Loser Grade at work...

I am looking at Samsung TV's Can anyone give me advice on what to buy? Basic or
more features? What is a "Smart TV". What do the various screen types provide
that would benefit us? Should I buy last years model? Should I get a Samsung
sound bar? Looking at the Samsung site is like the tilt o whirl.

I am disabled so unpacking and setup must be done by others so a Walmart or
similar buy would be out of the question.

Let the thoughts flow, thanks in advance.

Smart TV s have internet connectivity built in.
non Smart TV s need your laptop or a TV box to feed it internet.

Why are you replacing the 6 year old TV ?
.. perhaps your sound problems are buried in the TV's
confusing nest of Settings menu ... ?

I found that my Smart TV "operating system" was quite awkward
right-from-the-start so I used it like a normal TV with occasional
frustrating attempts to connect to the web; then over a few years
the "operating system" became slow/outdated and there was
no way to upgrade it at all. I bought a TV box off Amazon for ~ $ 60.
and it was OK but I still prefer to just connect my laptop to the
TV. Some folks buy a re-furb desktop and use it for the streaming -
and keep it connected permanently.

Physical setup is pretty easy if it's set on a table -
It'll take longer to open the shrink-wrap on the remote batteries !
:-)
... if hanging on a wall mount - it's a bit trickier but not rocket
surgery.
I don't have a sound bar - just use the TV speakers for normal
viewing and Harmon Kardon computer speakers when streaming .
- most folks want _big_ sound though.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2021 3:13 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

Hi all, U Tube has decided that my 6 yr old LG 55" tv is not a smart tv
(whatever that is) LG has confirmed this. It had a doa connection for the sound
bar when I hooked one up about 18 months later-out of warranty, so I don't LG
again. We called it Loser Grade at work...

I am looking at Samsung TV's Can anyone give me advice on what to buy? Basic or
more features? What is a "Smart TV". What do the various screen types provide
that would benefit us? Should I buy last years model? Should I get a Samsung
sound bar? Looking at the Samsung site is like the tilt o whirl.

I am disabled so unpacking and setup must be done by others so a Walmart or
similar buy would be out of the question.

Let the thoughts flow, thanks in advance.

I think practically all TV's are smart today. I only have one, a
Samsung, and can access internet wifi and things like Netflix and You
Tube. I have two none smart Samsung's and the Comcast X1 system they
are on also gives internet access to streaming.

A son bought me a sound bar and I put it on one TV and the sound was
great but I found it reverberated upstairs and could be annoying and
removed it.

We have had no problems with the Samsung's we have but biggest is 40
inch and I would like 55 but do not like replacing a perfectly good set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2021 6:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Hi all, U Tube has decided that my 6 yr old LG 55" tv is not a smart tv
(whatever that is) LG has confirmed this. It had a doa connection for the sound
bar when I hooked one up about 18 months later-out of warranty, so I don't LG
again. We called it Loser Grade at work...

I am looking at Samsung TV's Can anyone give me advice on what to buy? Basic or
more features? What is a "Smart TV". What do the various screen types provide
that would benefit us? Should I buy last years model? Should I get a Samsung
sound bar? Looking at the Samsung site is like the tilt o whirl.

I am disabled so unpacking and setup must be done by others so a Walmart or
similar buy would be out of the question.

Let the thoughts flow, thanks in advance.

Check out Best Buy for the TV installation. I don't know if they still
do it,but several years ago I bought a 60 inch TV and two people came
out and set it up , took off all the packing and even said they would
take the old TV if I wanted them to. The nearest Store to me was about
half an hour to 45 minuites away.

The smart TV will connect to the internet by your wireless internet
modem if you have one. If you are not tech savy you probably do not
want to fool with it.

I have two Samsung TV sets, the 60 and a 32 inch one. They worked well
for close to 10 years.

I think a friend paid Best Buy $100 to do his but what I would do is buy
the TV on line from Best Buy with no shipping charge and set it up
myself. That is what I did for my 30 inch smart TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2021 3:13 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

Hi all, U Tube has decided that my 6 yr old LG 55" tv is not a smart tv
(whatever that is) LG has confirmed this. It had a doa connection for the sound
bar when I hooked one up about 18 months later-out of warranty, so I don't LG
again. We called it Loser Grade at work...

I am looking at Samsung TV's Can anyone give me advice on what to buy? Basic or
more features? What is a "Smart TV". What do the various screen types provide
that would benefit us? Should I buy last years model? Should I get a Samsung
sound bar? Looking at the Samsung site is like the tilt o whirl.

I am disabled so unpacking and setup must be done by others so a Walmart or
similar buy would be out of the question.

Let the thoughts flow, thanks in advance.

Bought my TV from Amazon and they offer a delivery and setup service. I
got a Samsung and sound bar. The sound bar is good quality and I play a
lot of music on the TV, cast from my computer. Both TV and soundbar
are Samsung and work well together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 09:37:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The smart TV will connect to the internet by
your wireless internet modem if you have one.

If you are not tech savy you probably do not want to fool with it.

You don't need to be tech savvy, most can manage it fine.

Many don't, auto-contradicting senile pest!

--
Bill Wright to Rodent Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 4:25:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

That's a good question. Apparently something to do with Youtube needing
a smart TV, but I don't understand that.

.. perhaps your sound problems are buried in the TV's
confusing nest of Settings menu ... ?

Agree, that's a possibility. Also many of these have more than one way
to get sound out, eg HDMI, so there may be more than one way to hook it
up to a sound bar even if one output does not work.

I found that my Smart TV "operating system" was quite awkward
right-from-the-start so I used it like a normal TV with occasional
frustrating attempts to connect to the web; then over a few years
the "operating system" became slow/outdated and there was
no way to upgrade it at all. I bought a TV box off Amazon for ~ $ 60.
and it was OK but I still prefer to just connect my laptop to the
TV. Some folks buy a re-furb desktop and use it for the streaming -
and keep it connected permanently.

That sounds like a better option than replacing the TV. I never bought
a smart TV, partly for that very reason, that you have to deal with whatever
software and interface they have built in.

Physical setup is pretty easy if it's set on a table -
It'll take longer to open the shrink-wrap on the remote batteries !
:-)
.. if hanging on a wall mount - it's a bit trickier but not rocket
surgery.
I don't have a sound bar - just use the TV speakers for normal
viewing and Harmon Kardon computer speakers when streaming .
- most folks want _big_ sound though.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 writes:
On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 4:25:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 15:13:05 -0400, Tekkie=C2=A9 wrot=

e:=20
=20
=20
Hi all, U Tube has decided that my 6 yr old LG 55" tv is not a smart tv=

=20
(whatever that is) LG has confirmed this. It had a doa connection for th=

e sound=20
bar when I hooked one up about 18 months later-out of warranty, so I don=

't LG=20
again. We called it Loser Grade at work...=20

=20
Why are you replacing the 6 year old TV ?=20

That's a good question. Apparently something to do with Youtube needing
a smart TV, but I don't understand that.

Two or three years ago, Youtube changed the protocol used by the
client applications shipped on smart TVs. Most of the manufacturers
weren't interested in creating updates for the older TVs, and thus,
the youtube client shipped with the TV stopped working. This happened
on my Sony 55".

The simple solution is to get a amazon fire stick, roku, WD,
sling or other video client box and plug it into a hdmi port
on the older TV.

BTW: LG == Lucky Goldstar.

remember their CRT tvs & desktop computers back in the day? The modern LG TV's aren't
anything like those old L-G tvs, and you'll likely find that they're
rather highly regarded (at least their OLED TVs are).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 15:13:05 -0400, Tekkie© wrote:

Hi all, U Tube has decided that my 6 yr old LG 55" tv is not a smart tv
(whatever that is) LG has confirmed this. It had a doa connection for the sound
bar when I hooked one up about 18 months later-out of warranty, so I don't LG
again. We called it Loser Grade at work...

I am looking at Samsung TV's Can anyone give me advice on what to buy? Basic or
more features? What is a "Smart TV". What do the various screen types provide
that would benefit us? Should I buy last years model? Should I get a Samsung
sound bar? Looking at the Samsung site is like the tilt o whirl.

I am disabled so unpacking and setup must be done by others so a Walmart or
similar buy would be out of the question.

Let the thoughts flow, thanks in advance.

Like everyone says the easy answer to streaming is an add on box. It
can be a fire/roku/I-sumpin or just about any old PC running W/7 and
up.
As for the sound bar, some TVs will have the digital off as the
default or make you select speaker or digital. Somewhere buried in
accessibility there is usually the option to turn both on at the same
time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 16:25:28 -0400, posted for all of us
to digest...

[...]

Ok, thanks.

Why are you replacing the 6 year old TV ?

I don't want to. LG states it won't work with streaming. The U Tube app has
been problematic lately in loading new posts.

.. perhaps your sound problems are buried in the TV's
confusing nest of Settings menu ... ?

Nope the bad ears are the problem and tiny speakers on the TV don't help.

I found that my Smart TV "operating system" was quite awkward
right-from-the-start so I used it like a normal TV with occasional
frustrating attempts to connect to the web; then over a few years
the "operating system" became slow/outdated and there was
no way to upgrade it at all. I bought a TV box off Amazon for ~ $ 60.
and it was OK but I still prefer to just connect my laptop to the
TV. Some folks buy a re-furb desktop and use it for the streaming -
and keep it connected permanently.

No computers to dedicate. The only thing I stream is U Tube.

Physical setup is pretty easy if it's set on a table -
It'll take longer to open the shrink-wrap on the remote batteries !
:-)
.. if hanging on a wall mount - it's a bit trickier but not rocket
surgery.

The present TV is wall hung, 40#, and we are disabled so no go.

I don't have a sound bar - just use the TV speakers for normal
viewing and Harmon Kardon computer speakers when streaming .
- most folks want _big_ sound though.

Because the sound was lousy out of the TV we got the sound bar around 18 months
later. One of the connections the sound bar needed out of the TV was faulty
from the factory. We ended up connecting it to the Comcast DVR. The Comcast
remote will control all functions EXCEPT turning off the sound bar. We have to
use the sound bar remote because the Comcast DVR is on all the time outputting
to the sound bar.

John T.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 20:03:21 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

[...]

We would do that, if we could, we can't.

Thanks,

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 04:42:26 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

There is an app that Comcast/U tube uses to allow it to play. U Tube and LG
both stated I need a streaming device. I believe U Tube updated the app lately
and that is what caused what they call a buffering error. I suppose the TV
doesn't have enough horsepower.

.. perhaps your sound problems are buried in the TV's
confusing nest of Settings menu ... ?

Agree, that's a possibility. Also many of these have more than one way
to get sound out, eg HDMI, so there may be more than one way to hook it
up to a sound bar even if one output does not work.

Not on the present TV. The only combo that works is RCA jacks from DVR to sound
bar. One RCA output on the TV doesn't work.

[...]

See previous posts.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 09:54:17 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

The issue is the TV has a faulty RCA output which I discovered after the
warranty expired so I have it connected to the Comcast DVR. The sound bar will
not shut off because the DVR always outputs. The sound bar turns on but will
not turn off without the sound bar remote.

If I am patient; the vids will load after an indeterminate amount of time.
U Tube called it a buffering issue. I noticed U Tube was performing and
displaying differently about a week ago when this started...

Would the streaming device output the sound? If so what would you recommend?

--
Tekkie