Posted to alt.home.repair

Default French Cognac vs. other Cognac

What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
============================

Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
-- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php
Posted to alt.home.repair

bruce bowser wrote

What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other
Cognac?

They are just different cognacs,. like you have
difference gins, whiskeys, rums, sherrys etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?
============================

Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
-- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php

There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

No way. In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Thu, 27 May 2021 13:28:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

bruce bowser wrote

What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other
Cognac?

They are just different cognacs,. like you have
difference gins, whiskeys, rums, sherrys etc.

That's what he said, senile trolling asshole. He wanted to know WHAT the
difference is! Of course, you don't know, senile bigmouth.

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?

If you get a liquid/solid modem, there is rather expensive software that
will analyse the tastes of the two and you can compare the two analyses
manually or with a text comparer.

============================

Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
-- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php

There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

No way. In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.

Are you sure of that? Why would French-speaking cities be different
from towns and rural areas or from non-French-speaking places?

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-drinks-2018-9

I wonder if you went to a liquor store and looked at the ones labeled
cognac if maybe they are all from the Cognac region of France.

I think Champagne has lost its control of that word, but not every place
has.

But I don't think Worcestershire sauce was ever restricted to
Worcestershire! It's not even owned by Lea and Perrins anymore,
"Worcestershire sauce has been considered a generic term since 1876,
when the English High Court of Justice ruled that Lea & Perrins did not
own the trademark to "Worcestershire".[1]"

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?

If you get a liquid/solid modem, there is rather expensive software that
will analyse the tastes of the two and you can compare the two analyses
manually or with a text comparer.
============================

Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
-- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php

There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

No way. In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.

Are you sure of that?

Well, depending upon what the current law is in a french speaking city outside of France.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
[...]

AFAIK, they all have to be from France. The rest are brandy.

I think Champagne has lost its control of that word, but not every place
has.

AFAIK that's not true. Which is why the crap from say, NY state, is labeled
sparkling wine.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
[...]

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and other Cognac?

If you get a liquid/solid modem, there is rather expensive software that
will analyse the tastes of the two and you can compare the two analyses
manually or with a text comparer.
============================

Qui sont les plus gros acheteurs de cognac dans le monde ?
Le Figaro - Jan 31, 2018
-- https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php

There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

No way. In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.

Are you sure of that?

Well, depending upon what the current law is in a french speaking city outside of France.

I think there are international trade treaties with more authority than
city laws, and those who violate them are suject to suit, injunction,
and to pay damages. I don't know of such suits but I figure that's
because everyone obeys the treaty rules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 7:17:17 PM UTC-4, Pamela wrote in alt.usage.english:
On 15:26 27 May 2021, Quinn C said:
* occam:
On 27/05/2021 04:34, Quinn C wrote:
* Peter Moylan:
On 27/05/21 09:45, Quinn C wrote:
* Paul Wolff:

On Wed, 26 May 2021, at 13:55:48, bruce bowser
posted:
What is the actual taste difference between French Cognac and
other Cognac?

That has all the appearances of a very silly question. Cognac
is in France. It is French. Cognac brandy is French. How, then,
in this poster's thinking, can Cognac of any kind be other than
French?

Can champagne? Can Camembert or Brie? It's partly by convention,
partly by law that these questions are answered. "Cognac" for
any similar kind of brandy was pretty common in the German of my
youth, even though it wasn't allowed on the label.

Yes, these old names stick in one's mind. We've never called
non-French brandy cognac in Australia, but there have been a
number of other cases where "appelation controllée" has upset our
naming customs. The wine country in my area used to be known
especially for its Rieslings, and now I've forgotten what those
wines are now called.

Riesling is a grape variety, so it shouldn't be controlled any
more than Peeno noir. [1]

And more than once I've gone into a bottle shop and asked "Can
you remind me what sherry is called now?"

Depends. Sherry from Portugal is called port.

'Sherry' is not as generic a name as you think. It originates from
the Spanish town of Jerez (ES). Not unlike 'Port' which traces its
origins to Porto (PT).

I sense a severe lack of mental elasticity. If a guest asked you for
Sherry, and you hadn't any Sherry in the house, do you think the
replies "I don't have any Sherry, how about Scotch?" and "I don't
have any Sherry, how about Port?" are equally reasonable?

I have no problem knowing the exact definition of Sherry and still
using it generically when that's useful.

It was already mentioned that Cognac, the name of the most famous
brandy, is sometimes used generically for all (grape) brandy.
Likewise, Sherry is the most famous fortified wine, so the name is
sometimes used generically for all fortified wine.

I haven't come across that usage in the UK. Even when buying in a
supermarket, sherry is something quite specific. Same goes for Cognac.
Perhaps your usage is similar to the usage of "Coke" for any cola.
Port is famous enough that the above sentence probably wouldn't
happen in the wild - it was designed to make the underlying process
more visible - but I've heard people come back from Cyprus and
saying that they bought "some of the local Sherry, I don't remember
what it's called." Commandaria, actually, but I had to look that up
again.

Maybe they could also call it "schnapps" which has come to be applied to
syrup-sweetened alcohol with added flavourings, as opposed to the drink
it tries to imitate.

I suppose it's like being in Thailand and being served "champagne" by the
locals, which is not going to be champagne. Perhaps these incorrect names
are a combination of distance, ignorance and affordability.

Sparkling wine is frequently confused with Cava, Sekt and Prosecco.

--
https://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/...s-le-monde.php

There is no other Cognac. Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of
France. If it is made anywhere else it is called brandy.

No way. In Montréal or any other french speaking city outside of
France, you couldn't stop a Cognac maker from using that name.
Are you sure of that?

Well, depending upon what the current law
is in a french speaking city outside of France.

I think there are international trade treaties
with more authority than city laws,

Not on that particular question there arent.

and those who violate them are suject to suit, injunction,
and to pay damages. I don't know of such suits but I
figure that's because everyone obeys the treaty rules.

There are no relevant treaty rules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:58 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 29 May 2021 03:58:02 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

03:58??? And you are up and trolling ALREADY, you sick senile swine? Can't
you even TRY to hide what a sick senile swine you are? BG

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
[...]

You're right! I guess I don't go to the right bars, or I don't spend
enogh money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:32:43 AM UTC-4, J. J. Lodder wrote in alt.usage.english:
Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2021 23:36:29 +0100
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Pamela wrote:
On 14:02 27 May 2021, occam said:

[maybe]

India Pale Ale from India? No, hold on, that's the wrong way around.

Indeed ...TO India

I was led to believe that ISP was a stronger-than-normal beer (around
7% ABV) in order to ensure that it didn't 'go off' on the long voyage
from Britain to India. These days, it's not unusual to see it as low as
4%.

That's just abuse of the phrase; Greene King "IPA" is even worse at 3.6%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greene_King#Greene_King

An IPA has to be at least 5.5% in my book.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/138/86959/
(SN IPA 6.1%)

Unless it is at 0.0%
'Brand' (the oldest Dutch brewery still in existence)
makes an IPA at 7%, and a very similar one 0,0%

There is no similarity in that. Kiddie drinks can never be the same as a 7% 14 proof.

On 2021-05-26 4:54 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
[...]

Well, in the Boston to Washington corridor "the right bar" might instead mean an exclusive club where expenses are paid quarterly or yearly, etc.. like on a golf course or at a retreat or in an urban area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:00:01 PM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote in alt.usage.english:
* charles:
In article ,
Pamela wrote:
On 15:07 28 May 2021, Quinn C said:

"Champagne" is just one of many subgroups of sparkling wine. If you
insist on distinguish it, you shouldn't conflate Sekt and Cava,
either. But those don't have the same level of branding power behind
them.

Champagne is a sparkling white wine from Champagne. It could hardly be
simpler.

naturally sparkling, not with added sparkle.

I haven't heard of wine with added sparkle. Sekt, Cava, Prosecco, Asti,
Crémant

and Pét-Nat ?

all have natural sparkle, and most of them are actually produced with
the méthode champenoise. So are many American sparkling wines.

--
The need of a personal pronoun of the singular number and common
gender is so desperate, urgent, imperative, that ... it should long

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pamela wrote:
On 15:07 28 May 2021, Quinn C said:

"Champagne" is just one of many subgroups of sparkling wine. If you
insist on distinguish it, you shouldn't conflate Sekt and Cava,
either. But those don't have the same level of branding power behind
them.

Champagne is a sparkling white wine from Champagne. It could hardly be
simpler.

naturally sparkling, not with added sparkle.

I haven't heard of wine with added sparkle. Sekt, Cava, Prosecco, Asti,
Crémant

and Pét-Nat ?

Also spelled Pet Matt, I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:30:41 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote in rec.food.cooking:
On 2021-05-29 Lucretia Borgia wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2021 Graham wrote:

Brut, Blanc de Blanc, Traditional Method etc.

Some of the top champagne houses have been investing in English
vineyards where some superb bubblies have been made in recent

years.
As I understand it, some of the wine crops are moving a bit

northerly due global warming.

I thought it had more to do with the increasing popularity of
wine. We have a thriving wine industry here in Niagara. 50-60
years ago the local wine was rot gut. Then a couple of guys
started working with varietals and made some good wines. Others
followed suit and now it is a major industry. Our climate is
similar to the that of some of the great wine regions in France.

When we came here in 1967 there was only Andre's wine available.
David bought a bottle of red, we found it undrinkable so I used it
up in a casserole. Nobody wanted to eat the casserole and when I
gave it to the dog, he turned his nose up at it and it's not often
Lab's would do that!

It's not smart to offer any food containing alcohol to pets... dogs
and cats can't process alcohol, it's toxic. Even a dish that's been
heated substantial alcohol remains.
https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-drink-alcohol/

LOL, had a cat who was a teatotaler I guess. He loved Rum and Cokes.

I used to, but I think that Dewar & Coke is better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2021-06-01 8:24 a.m., Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/31/2021 11:21 PM, GM wrote:

Remember the looming polar bear ""extinction"? By most estimates
there are many more polar bears today than decades ago...a quick
goog brings up much stuff...

Etcetera...

"science" is the new "racism". The mere mention of either word out
of the mouth of a woke, and all discussion must cease.

There appears to be a new definition to the word "science". It used
to involve empirical observations, and results could be replicated.
There have been a number of issues with the Covid19 pandemic where
people have talked about following the science, but those scientific
facts seem to be based more on anecdotes than on empirical studies.
Look at the controversy on masks. No, we don't need them, but we have
to sterilize every surface, don't touch anyone or anything they have
touched. A couple months later we were told to wear masks, and
anyone who objected was scorned and and told to follow the science.
I realize that science gets more involved over time, but this
thing has been way to inconsistent to be referred to as science.

A typical response from a non-scientist!

I studied social sciences rather than the physical sciences, but I did a
considerable amount of research, was lab demonstrator in an experimental
Psychology course and completed a thesis. My first job out of university
was in educational research.

Social science and the laughable political "science" cannot be compared
to "hard" science.

Polly sci got AOL founder Steve Case $1.5 billion bucks. That doesn't sound very funny to me.