Posted to alt.home.repair

Default knob and tube

A friend of mine bought a house in Baltimore County 5 or 10 years ago
that still had knob and tube wiring, at least in the attic. My friend
says you can't get a mortgage if you don't pass inspectinon and you
can't pass inspection with k&t wiring.

What do you think happened?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2021 6:56 PM, micky wrote:
A friend of mine bought a house in Baltimore County 5 or 10 years ago
that still had knob and tube wiring, at least in the attic. My friend
says you can't get a mortgage if you don't pass inspectinon and you
can't pass inspection with k&t wiring.

What do you think happened?

Does not matter what your friends said, it matters what the present code
is and if it was properly inspected.

It is also possible the K&T was in place but disconnected. We had that
in one of our buildings at work and never had a problem.

Too many possible variables to say for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2021 6:56 PM, micky wrote:
A friend of mine bought a house in Baltimore County 5 or 10 years ago
that still had knob and tube wiring, at least in the attic. My friend
says you can't get a mortgage if you don't pass inspectinon and you
can't pass inspection with k&t wiring.

What do you think happened?

Your friend paid cash?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 May 2021 18:56:20 -0400, micky
wrote:

A friend of mine bought a house in Baltimore County 5 or 10 years ago
that still had knob and tube wiring, at least in the attic. My friend
says you can't get a mortgage if you don't pass inspectinon and you
can't pass inspection with k&t wiring.
What do you think happened?

I think the house burned to the ground and the insurance
company wouldn't pay and your friend committed hara-kiri
after murdering the inspector. I think I read about that case
in the National Enquirer.. or it might have been a
movie-of-the-week
I'll get back to you on that.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A friend of mine bought a house in Baltimore County 5 or 10 years ago
that still had knob and tube wiring, at least in the attic. My friend
says you can't get a mortgage if you don't pass inspectinon and you
can't pass inspection with k&t wiring.
What do you think happened?

I think the house burned to the ground and the insurance
company wouldn't pay and your friend committed hara-kiri
after murdering the inspector. I think I read about that case
in the National Enquirer.. or it might have been a
movie-of-the-week
I'll get back to you on that.
John T.

Do we get a prize if we guess the right answer and what is it?
My guess is that since Micky said that his friend bought the house,
that he in fact bought it. End of story.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 6:56:26 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
A friend of mine bought a house in Baltimore County 5 or 10 years ago
that still had knob and tube wiring, at least in the attic. My friend
says you can't get a mortgage if you don't pass inspectinon and you
can't pass inspection with k&t wiring.

What do you think happened?

Inspected or appraised?

You can't get a mortgage without an appraisal. Lenders perform an
appraisal to make sure that the house is worth at least what the
borrower is asking for. They need to make sure that they can sell the
property and get back what they lent if the borrower defaults.

An inspection is typically for the homeowner's benefit so they know what
they are getting into. (NPI) It can also be used a negotiation tool to get the
seller to lower the price, give some money back at closing or perform a
needed repair before closing. And don't let the current practice of submitting
an offer without a inspection contingency fool you. The buyer can still play
the inspection card after the offer is accepted. It's up to the seller to agree
or not, but if (s)he doesn't agree and the buyer walks, the seller has to go
through the trouble of putting the house back on the market.

However, an FHA mortgage is a little different. While they don't require
that the *buyer* get an inspection done, their appraisal process includes
evaluating the condition of the house and they can require that repairs
be made before they will sign off on the mortgage. In the end, the buyer
pays for the inspection when they pay for the FHA appraisal.

K&T wiring will pass an FHA inspection as long as the system is deemed to
safe and the electrical system meets the other criteria of an FHA loan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 May 2021 17:14:24 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 6:56:26 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
A friend of mine bought a house in Baltimore County 5 or 10 years ago
that still had knob and tube wiring, at least in the attic. My friend
says you can't get a mortgage if you don't pass inspectinon and you
can't pass inspection with k&t wiring.

What do you think happened?

Inspected or appraised?

You can't get a mortgage without an appraisal. Lenders perform an
appraisal to make sure that the house is worth at least what the
borrower is asking for. They need to make sure that they can sell the
property and get back what they lent if the borrower defaults.

Up here an electrical condition inspection is required - aluminum
wirin can pas but it's been a long time since K&T stood a chance.
(possibly on an un-molested historic house - but not likely

An inspection is typically for the homeowner's benefit so they know what
they are getting into. (NPI) It can also be used a negotiation tool to get the
seller to lower the price, give some money back at closing or perform a
needed repair before closing. And don't let the current practice of submitting
an offer without a inspection contingency fool you. The buyer can still play
the inspection card after the offer is accepted. It's up to the seller to agree
or not, but if (s)he doesn't agree and the buyer walks, the seller has to go
through the trouble of putting the house back on the market.

Electrical Safety Authority inspection required by insurance company
and occaisionally the bank

However, an FHA mortgage is a little different. While they don't require
that the *buyer* get an inspection done, their appraisal process includes
evaluating the condition of the house and they can require that repairs
be made before they will sign off on the mortgage. In the end, the buyer
pays for the inspection when they pay for the FHA appraisal.

K&T wiring will pass an FHA inspection as long as the system is deemed to
safe and the electrical system meets the other criteria of an FHA loan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 May 2021 23:28:17 -0600, bud-- wrote:

On 5/25/2021 4:56 PM, micky wrote:
A friend of mine bought a house in Baltimore County 5 or 10 years ago
that still had knob and tube wiring, at least in the attic. My friend
says you can't get a mortgage if you don't pass inspectinon and you
can't pass inspection with k&t wiring.

What do you think happened?

I think it is modern redlining - an excuse to not mortgage (or insure)
old houses.

Example:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040825060154/http://www.maine.gov/pfr/ins/hearing_2003-13680.htm
An insurance company was sued by a homeowner. Insurance was not renewed
because the home had some K&T. The homeowner provided evidence the
installation was in good condition. "The company provided no
justification for its position that knob and tube wiring per se
automatically provides grounds for nonrenewal." The court ruled against
the insurance company.

Years back the NEC prohibited insulation in contact with K&T. I don't
think there was ever any evidence that had caused problems. The head
electrical inspector for Minneapolis, where a lot of insulation has been
added, provided a comment that he saw no "record of hazard". After the
provision was enacted California was sued and could provide no record
of a problem. California and a few other states now allow insulation.

K&T is still in the NEC although permitted uses are very limited.

In Minnesota, State Farm put a surcharge on houses that did not have the
service replaced in some time period (don't remember what it was). They
were reversed by the state insurance regulator. There was no insurance
casualty data that supported the surcharge.

I would rather have K&T than some of the early 2-wire Romex type stuff
with tar-paper(???) jacket. Particularly embedded in insulation you have
2 wires together heating up instead of 1.

OK. The problem with K&T is mofifications.A house wired with K&T
usually had less than a 60 amp service with 2 or 4 circuits. Most of
those circuits were lighting cirguits - and MOST of the devices were
surfacxe mounted with no boxes. All connections were hidden (except
those in open basement ot attic structures) soldered and taped
connections. Shorts were uncommon because the wires are separated by a
minimum of 8 inches..

A lot of the buildings were also "ring topology" - both live and
neutral had both ends connected to the panel. (Not all - but a
significant number)

Adding "modern" loads required adding to the wiring - and how THAT was
done is the important elephant in the room. If the K&T is not touched
and new romex circuits are added FROM THE PANEL it is not a problem.
The right way is a new panel with the existing K&T panel set up as a
sub panel - and otherwise NOT TOUCHED!!!.. When new lighting fixtures
etc need to be added, run new circuits from the new panel according to
current code. Decommission the circuits no longer used.

Tapping into the original K&T in ANY WAY will generally trigger a
fail under an electrical safety authority inspection - as will
ANYTHING other than lighting circuits on K&T. It is a safety and fire
safety issue as virtually NO living electrician is competent in K&T
technique and the old rubber/cloth insulation doesn't respond well to
manipulation.

My Dad was an electrician and did a LOT of renovation wiring in older
homes and saw a LOT of extremely badly done "modifications" to K&T
systems - and had to remedy the problems caused including complete
rewires of houses where the modified K&T had not QUITE managed to burn
the house to the ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 25 May 2021 18:56:20 -0400, micky
wrote:

A friend of mine bought a house in Baltimore County 5 or 10 years ago
that still had knob and tube wiring, at least in the attic. My friend
says you can't get a mortgage if you don't pass inspectinon and you
can't pass inspection with k&t wiring.

What do you think happened?

You've all given me a lot to think about, especially Bud. I guess I'll
have to ask him but because of what I read here, we may have a much
better conversation.

It's possible none of the k&t was still in use when he bought the house.
I saw it in hise attic. I would have kept it as a souvenir but he had
it ripped out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2021 11:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

The US does not require "lighting circuits". K&T powered whatever was
installed at that time.

- and MOST of the devices were
surfacxe mounted with no boxes.

Maybe where you are. I have seen a lot of K&T and NEVER seen that.

All connections were hidden (except
those in open basement ot attic structures) soldered and taped
connections. Shorts were uncommon because the wires are separated by a
minimum of 8 inches..

Wiring in open basements is "open wiring on insulators"

A lot of the buildings were also "ring topology" - both live and
neutral had both ends connected to the panel. (Not all - but a
significant number)

That may be how you do it. It is common in the UK. Maybe the queen told
your electricians to use ring circuits.

I have never even heard of that in the US.

Adding "modern" loads required adding to the wiring - and how THAT was
done is the important elephant in the room. If the K&T is not touched
and new romex circuits are added FROM THE PANEL it is not a problem.
The right way is a new panel with the existing K&T panel set up as a
sub panel - and otherwise NOT TOUCHED!!!..

A subpanel just for K&T is another nutty Canadian idea? Also never seen
that. Existing K&T is just refed from a new service panel.

The NEC allows "extensions of existing installations". (That is probably
uncommon.)

My mothers house had K&T. I survived in it for 20 years (Perhaps a
miracle??). At some point she replaced the service with a 100A fuse
panel and added some receptacles and other wiring. That is likely very
common. If a house has only original K&T wiring the Smithsonian museum
is probably interested.

When new lighting fixtures
etc need to be added, run new circuits from the new panel according to
current code. Decommission the circuits no longer used.

So lighting fixtures can't be replaced? Or is this just new wiring,
where lighting is not unique (except apparently in Canada).

Tapping into the original K&T in ANY WAY will generally trigger a
fail under an electrical safety authority inspection

The NEC allows "extensions of existing installations".

- as will
ANYTHING other than lighting circuits on K&T.

The US does not require "lighting circuits". K&T powered whatever was
installed at that time.

It is a safety and fire
safety issue as virtually NO living electrician is competent in K&T
technique

I guess I am not a living electrician. Minor changes are not that
difficult (like refeeding, which is common with a new service).

and the old rubber/cloth insulation doesn't respond well to
manipulation.

Rubber I have seen is generally in good condition. Original wiring in my
house is rubber (in rigid conduit).

My Dad was an electrician and did a LOT of renovation wiring in older
homes and saw a LOT of extremely badly done "modifications" to K&T
systems - and had to remedy the problems caused including complete
rewires of houses where the modified K&T had not QUITE managed to burn
the house to the ground.

My kid's house had a lot of "extremely badly done" wiring. There was no K&T.
So argue about wiring of any type that is in bad condition.

As I wrote I have more concerns about the early 2-wire stuff before Romex.

I have heard of no data that says K&T is intrinsically a particular hazard.

Note the court ruling and multiple states allowing insulation around K&T.

And the NEC is trying to put most EXISTING residential circuits on AFCIs.

Also 2-wire circuits can be connected downstream from a GFCI.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 May 2021 10:09:21 -0600, bud-- wrote:

[...]

I see a few errors in this thread as for insulation the code says

"394.12 Uses Not Permitted.Concealed knob-and-tube wiring shall not be
used in the following:
(5)Hollow spaces of walls, ceilings, and attics where such
spaces are insulated by loose, rolled, or foamed-in-place
insulating material that envelops the conductors".

It must also be concealed in most cases or covered by running boards.

"394.23 In Accessible Attics. Conductors in unfinished
attics and roof spaces shall comply with 394.23(A) or
(B).Informational Note: See 310.15(A)(3) for temperature
limita-tion of conductors.(A) Accessible by Stairway or Permanent
Ladder. Conductors shall be installed along the side of or
through bored holes in floor joists, studs, or rafters. Where
run through bored holes,conductors in the joists and in studs
or rafters to a height of not less than 2.1 m (7 ft) above the
floor or floor joists shall be protected by substantial running
boards extending not less than 25 mm (1 in.) on each side
of the conductors. Running boards shall be securely fastened in
place. Running boards and guard strips shall not be required where
conductors are instal-led along the sides of joists, studs, or
rafters.(B) Not Accessible by Stairway or Permanent
Ladder.Conductors shall be installed along the sides of or
through bored holes in floor joists, studs, or rafters"

You should also check with your AHJ because plenty of jurisdictions
hate K&T and will impose even stricter standards.

Personally I would remove it if I had it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2021 11:23 AM, wrote:
[...]

The NEC on insulation was specifically referenced:
1 There was no substantiation of a problem when the code change was
proposed. As you know that is very often the basis for not adopting a
code change.
2 "The head electrical inspector for Minneapolis, where a lot of
insulation has been added, provided a comment [ROP] that he saw no
'record of hazard' ".
3 "After the provision was enacted California was sued and could provide
no record of a problem. California and a few other states now allow
insulation."

All 3 specifically relate to the NEC article.

I also commented that I am more concerned with early 2-wire Romex type
stuff, particularly in insulation (which is not prohibited). You have 2
wires in contact with each other contributing heat and a possible fault.
Problem was fixed quite recently for new wiring with NM-B.

It must also be concealed in most cases or covered by running boards.

I believe that is why in open basements the wiring is "open wiring on
insulators"

[...]

Don't remember attics were really discussed.

You should also check with your AHJ because plenty of jurisdictions
hate K&T and will impose even stricter standards.

Personally I would remove it if I had it.

Thats nice, particularly if you are opening walls and ceilings.

Otherwise replacing it can be damned expensive. And some jurisdictions
may have requirements that at some expenditure the system has to be
new-code compliant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

And MOST K7T installations had very few "outlets" - mostly lighting -=
untill the last decade or 2 of it's use.

- and MOST of the devices were
surfacxe mounted with no boxes.

Maybe where you are. I have seen a lot of K&T and NEVER seen that.

K&T very seldom used boxes in original installation

All connections were hidden (except
those in open basement ot attic structures) soldered and taped
connections. Shorts were uncommon because the wires are separated by a
minimum of 8 inches..

Wiring in open basements is "open wiring on insulators"

As it is even within walls and enclosed floor / cieling

A lot of the buildings were also "ring topology" - both live and
neutral had both ends connected to the panel. (Not all - but a
significant number)

Ring Topology was relatively common in EARLY K&T. Not so common in
later years

That may be how you do it. It is common in the UK. Maybe the queen told
your electricians to use ring circuits.

I have never even heard of that in the US.

Adding "modern" loads required adding to the wiring - and how THAT was
done is the important elephant in the room. If the K&T is not touched
and new romex circuits are added FROM THE PANEL it is not a problem.
The right way is a new panel with the existing K&T panel set up as a
sub panel - and otherwise NOT TOUCHED!!!..

A subpanel just for K&T is another nutty Canadian idea? Also never seen
that. Existing K&T is just refed from a new service panel.

No, not nutty, and not Canada specific. And I am not talking about
"adding" a sub panel. I an talking about using the existing K&T panel
AS a sub panel to avoid mofifying / disturbing the K&T circuits, since
that is where any problems are likely to happen.

The NEC allows "extensions of existing installations". (That is probably
uncommon.)

It ALLOWS extentions - but they have to be done properly - and when
the cloth / rubber insulation deteriorates doing ANY modifications
gets dicey. Just because code "allows" it does not make it adviseable.

My mothers house had K&T. I survived in it for 20 years (Perhaps a
miracle??). At some point she replaced the service with a 100A fuse
panel and added some receptacles and other wiring. That is likely very
common. If a house has only original K&T wiring the Smithsonian museum
is probably interested.

When new lighting fixtures
etc need to be added, run new circuits from the new panel according to
current code. Decommission the circuits no longer used.

So lighting fixtures can't be replaced? Or is this just new wiring,
where lighting is not unique (except apparently in Canada).

If there is no box it is against code to mount fixtures requiring a
box. Adding a box to a K$T circuit that does not have a box is
problematic at best - particularly if / when the wire from the old
fixture is roasted / toasted / sun-tanned and crispy fried.

Tapping into the original K&T in ANY WAY will generally trigger a
fail under an electrical safety authority inspection

The NEC allows "extensions of existing installations".

- as will
ANYTHING other than lighting circuits on K&T.

The US does not require "lighting circuits". K&T powered whatever was
installed at that time.

It is a safety and fire
safety issue as virtually NO living electrician is competent in K&T
technique

I guess I am not a living electrician. Minor changes are not that
difficult (like refeeding, which is common with a new service).

and the old rubber/cloth insulation doesn't respond well to
manipulation.

Rubber I have seen is generally in good condition. Original wiring in my
house is rubber (in rigid conduit).

Only in the USA I guess. Rigid conduit in residential wiring is
virtually unheard of in Canada.

My Dad was an electrician and did a LOT of renovation wiring in older
homes and saw a LOT of extremely badly done "modifications" to K&T
systems - and had to remedy the problems caused including complete
rewires of houses where the modified K&T had not QUITE managed to burn
the house to the ground.

My kid's house had a lot of "extremely badly done" wiring. There was no K&T.
So argue about wiring of any type that is in bad condition.

As I wrote I have more concerns about the early 2-wire stuff before Romex.

I have heard of no data that says K&T is intrinsically a particular hazard.

It isn't - and I didn't say it is. I SAID shorts are almost unheard
of due to the spacing of the wires. Unmolested K&T IS SAFE - but
seldome actually found "in the wild"

Note the court ruling and multiple states allowing insulation around K&T.

Again, just because it is ALLOWED does not make it wise

And the NEC is trying to put most EXISTING residential circuits on AFCIs.

So???

Also 2-wire circuits can be connected downstream from a GFCI.

So???

Are you a professional electician ??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2021 10:03 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

So "few outlets" not "lighting"? Null and void in the last decade?
As I wrote, you are unlikely (here) to find a K&T installation that does
not have a new service and added wiring including receptacles.

- and MOST of the devices were
surfacxe mounted with no boxes.

Maybe where you are. I have seen a lot of K&T and NEVER seen that.

K&T very seldom used boxes in original installation

Nice to know you are an expert on US wiring practice. Sorry about the
sad state of Canada.

All connections were hidden (except
those in open basement ot attic structures) soldered and taped
connections. Shorts were uncommon because the wires are separated by a
minimum of 8 inches..

Wiring in open basements is "open wiring on insulators"

As it is even within walls and enclosed floor / cieling

If you read the post from g, if enclosed it is K&T. "Open wiring on
insulators" is another NEC type of wiring. No penalty for this one - it
is esoteric NEC.

A lot of the buildings were also "ring topology" - both live and
neutral had both ends connected to the panel. (Not all - but a
significant number)

Ring Topology was relatively common in EARLY K&T. Not so common in
later years

Irrelevant because it was not used in the US.
Or is Mickey Canadian? (That might explain some things.)

That may be how you do it. It is common in the UK. Maybe the queen told
your electricians to use ring circuits.

I have never even heard of that in the US.

Adding "modern" loads required adding to the wiring - and how THAT was
done is the important elephant in the room. If the K&T is not touched
and new romex circuits are added FROM THE PANEL it is not a problem.
The right way is a new panel with the existing K&T panel set up as a
sub panel - and otherwise NOT TOUCHED!!!..

A subpanel just for K&T is another nutty Canadian idea? Also never seen
that. Existing K&T is just refed from a new service panel.

No, not nutty, and not Canada specific. And I am not talking about
"adding" a sub panel. I an talking about using the existing K&T panel
AS a sub panel to avoid mofifying / disturbing the K&T circuits, since
that is where any problems are likely to happen.

Apparently Canadian electricians are not be qualified for "modifying" K&T.
I haven't had a problem.

My mother's house had the original K&T service on the 2nd floor. Feeding
it would require running a feeder from the basement service panel into a
wall on the 2nd floor. You then have fuses on the second floor in
addition to the service panel in the basement. The electricians who
installed the new stuff had no problem feeding the K&T where it was
exposed (fortunately they were not Canadian). I have never seen an
original K&T panel refed. And the 2 panels I remember had exposed
terminal screws on the fuse blocks- an inspector would love that.

The NEC allows "extensions of existing installations". (That is probably
uncommon.)

It ALLOWS extentions - but they have to be done properly - and when
the cloth / rubber insulation deteriorates doing ANY modifications
gets dicey. Just because code "allows" it does not make it adviseable.

You have convinced me. Canadian electricians should not even be in a
building with K&T.

My mothers house had K&T. I survived in it for 20 years (Perhaps a
miracle??). At some point she replaced the service with a 100A fuse
panel and added some receptacles and other wiring. That is likely very
common. If a house has only original K&T wiring the Smithsonian museum
is probably interested.

When new lighting fixtures
etc need to be added, run new circuits from the new panel according to
current code. Decommission the circuits no longer used.

So lighting fixtures can't be replaced? Or is this just new wiring,
where lighting is not unique (except apparently in Canada).

If there is no box it is against code to mount fixtures requiring a
box. Adding a box to a K$T circuit that does not have a box is
problematic at best

No boxes is another Canadian thing?

- particularly if / when the wire from the old
fixture is roasted / toasted / sun-tanned and crispy fried.

The most toasted wires I have seen were not K&T and were behind
Circline fluorescent fixtures.

Maybe there was a problem with Canadian wire?

Tapping into the original K&T in ANY WAY will generally trigger a
fail under an electrical safety authority inspection

The NEC allows "extensions of existing installations".

- as will
ANYTHING other than lighting circuits on K&T.

But now you said "few 'outlets' - mostly lighting". So original
installations will fail because of the "few outlets". And all will fail
if installed in "last decade or 2 of it's use".

[...]

Canadian electricians are molesters?
Insurance prohibition is not based on whether K&T is molested.

I haven't seen many K&T problems. Again, sorry about the sad state of
electric in Canada.

I'm sure you will be surprised to hear that I have seen other wiring
systems that have been molested.

Note the court ruling and multiple states allowing insulation around K&T.

Again, just because it is ALLOWED does not make it wise

It was allowed because there was no record of a problem.

I don't think Chicago went far enough requiring EMT. All wiring should
be rigid conduit. Who needs facts.

And the NEC is trying to put most EXISTING residential circuits on AFCIs.

So???

Removes a lot of the risk from wiring problems (K&T or other).
Insurance requiring K&T to be on an AFCI would make some sense, but that
would defeat redlining.

Also 2-wire circuits can be connected downstream from a GFCI.

So???

One of the complaints about K&T (miraculously missing in this thread) is
that it does not include a ground wire. Downstream from a GFCI
eliminates most of that problem, and the NEC allows grounded type
receptacles downstream from a GFCI when there is not a ground.

Are you a professional electician ??

Master electrician.

I am not fond of K&T. I have just not seen where it is a lot more
dangerous than some other methods like, as I have said, the early 2-wire
pre-Romex. And you agree "unmolested K&T IS SAFE". K&T, like all
methods, can be abused. I don't think insurance or mortgage restrictions
are based in safety. Replacing it, unless you are doing a gut-rehab is
real expensive.

And looking at the 3 summarized points to g on insulation, I don't
think the NEC insulation restriction is based on facts or data. I am
sure g is shocked to think code panel decisions are not based on facts
or data. Well, maybe not "shocked"...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 May 2021 07:10:46 -0600, bud-- wrote:

[...]

Sorry about the ignorance of SOME Americans.

I happen to have the AMERICAN "Bible" of electrical wiring from 1914
in my hands - handed down to me through generations of electricians,
starting in the USA and continuing to Canada as my "american"
ancestors came to Canada.

I have my great great uncle's copy of the "american electrical
handbook" - firdt edition - second printing - 1914 - by Tyrell Croft
close at hand.

Apperntly you donlt know that "knob and tube" is a subclass of "open
wiring on insulators" differentiated from surface mounted "knob and
cleat" by the use of ceramic tubes to run wire THROUGH wooden support
structures insted of running them a minimum of one inch fron the
structure AROUND it on Knobs only.

All connections were hidden (except
those in open basement ot attic structures) soldered and taped
connections. Shorts were uncommon because the wires are separated by a
minimum of 8 inches..

Actually the legal minimum was 5 inches - (I was mistaken thinking
the minimum was 8 since 8 inches was commonly used here in Canada)

Wiring in open basements is "open wiring on insulators"

As it is even within walls and enclosed floor / cieling

If you read the post from g, if enclosed it is K&T. "Open wiring on
insulators" is another NEC type of wiring. No penalty for this one - it
is esoteric NEC.

This goes back before the NEC (first codified in 1911 as part of the
National Fire Protection Association)

A lot of the buildings were also "ring topology" - both live and
neutral had both ends connected to the panel. (Not all - but a
significant number)

Ring Topology was relatively common in EARLY K&T. Not so common in
later years

It was also more common in insustrial and commercial applications
because it virtually doubled the current capacity of the wire since
the current was split between the wires going to each end of the
"ring". The live "ring" would run around the building while the
neutral could either run around it as well or be run up the center of
the building, with each "branch circuit" tapped off around the
perimeter. "center neutral" made it VERY difficult to mix up the live
and neutral . In residential applications it was generally in 2
circuit installations. When 3 wire (110/220) and multiple circuit
panels became common the advantages of ring topology pretty much
dissapeared.

It is also referenced in Crofts "American Electricians Handbook" so it
WAS known and used in the USA.

Irrelevant because it was not used in the US.
Or is Mickey Canadian? (That might explain some things.)

That may be how you do it. It is common in the UK. Maybe the queen told
your electricians to use ring circuits.

I have never even heard of that in the US.

I'm willing to bet there is one HELL OF A LOT that you are unaware of
having been done / used in the US!!!

Adding "modern" loads required adding to the wiring - and how THAT was
done is the important elephant in the room. If the K&T is not touched
and new romex circuits are added FROM THE PANEL it is not a problem.
The right way is a new panel with the existing K&T panel set up as a
sub panel - and otherwise NOT TOUCHED!!!..

A subpanel just for K&T is another nutty Canadian idea? Also never seen
that. Existing K&T is just refed from a new service panel.

No, not nutty, and not Canada specific. And I am not talking about
"adding" a sub panel. I an talking about using the existing K&T panel
AS a sub panel to avoid mofifying / disturbing the K&T circuits, since
that is where any problems are likely to happen.

Apparently Canadian electricians are not be qualified for "modifying" K&T.
I haven't had a problem.

Just because YOU have not "had a problem" doesn't mean you are
"qualified" for "modifying" K&T wiring

My mother's house had the original K&T service on the 2nd floor. Feeding
it would require running a feeder from the basement service panel into a
wall on the 2nd floor. You then have fuses on the second floor in
addition to the service panel in the basement. The electricians who
installed the new stuff had no problem feeding the K&T where it was
exposed (fortunately they were not Canadian). I have never seen an
original K&T panel refed. And the 2 panels I remember had exposed
terminal screws on the fuse blocks- an inspector would love that.

I have personally seen many "original" panels fed as sub panels -
often as a "stopgap" while existing K&T or "surface molding" wiring
was phased out over time to avoid having to modify or "molest" any of
the original ancient yet functioning wiring.

The NEC allows "extensions of existing installations". (That is probably
uncommon.)

It ALLOWS extentions - but they have to be done properly - and when
the cloth / rubber insulation deteriorates doing ANY modifications
gets dicey. Just because code "allows" it does not make it adviseable.

You have convinced me. Canadian electricians should not even be in a
building with K&T.

And American electricians should carry a REALLY GOOD errors and
omissions insurance policy!!!!

My mothers house had K&T. I survived in it for 20 years (Perhaps a
miracle??). At some point she replaced the service with a 100A fuse
panel and added some receptacles and other wiring. That is likely very
common. If a house has only original K&T wiring the Smithsonian museum
is probably interested.

I am aware of a few houses that STILL have unmolested K&T wiring -
but VERY FEW. (old guy or gal still living in the house their
grandfather built - or was even born in - with no "modern
conveniences" I'm sure there are still some left in upstate new york,
and parts of the American South too. I've seen houses in my travels
through the USA that were built before the civil war and defying
gravity and pretty much every rule of nature are still standing - and
being lived in - and have OBVIOUSLY not been rewired in the last 40
-60 years.

When new lighting fixtures
etc need to be added, run new circuits from the new panel according to
current code. Decommission the circuits no longer used.

So lighting fixtures can't be replaced? Or is this just new wiring,
where lighting is not unique (except apparently in Canada).

They can't be replaced on a knob and cleat system where the original
light is on a "rosette" or suspended from "cleats" as was common
practice from the teens to the thirties?? - mabee longer in some
areas.

Have you ever worked in any early REA systems???. K&T and surface
molding installations? The "light fixtures" were "drop lights" with
clip-on shades snapped onto the bulb.

Before electrical metering became common you paid by the light and by
the convenience outlet. People would buy "socket taps" to plug their
new-fangled electric iron into the lighting circuit so they didn't
have to have and pay for "convenience outlets" - and yes - this
happened in the USA - not just in Canada

If there is no box it is against code to mount fixtures requiring a
box. Adding a box to a K$T circuit that does not have a box is
problematic at best

No boxes is another Canadian thing?

No. It was relatively common - particularly for lighting.. - and
surface mounted switches.. Even the old "punch button" switches were
"self boxed" - the wiring was protected by a porcelain box attached to
the back of the switch. Wooden boxes were also common - generally to
enclose "open blade knife switches"

- particularly if / when the wire from the old
fixture is roasted / toasted / sun-tanned and crispy fried.

The most toasted wires I have seen were not K&T and were behind
Circline fluorescent fixtures.

Maybe there was a problem with Canadian wire?

You really ARE an ignorand american ASS, aren't you????

Tapping into the original K&T in ANY WAY will generally trigger a
fail under an electrical safety authority inspection

The NEC allows "extensions of existing installations".

- as will
ANYTHING other than lighting circuits on K&T.

But now you said "few 'outlets' - mostly lighting". So original
installations will fail because of the "few outlets". And all will fail
if installed in "last decade or 2 of it's use".

The US does not require "lighting circuits". K&T powered whatever was
installed at that time.

ANd as noted - before individual metering you paid for your
electicity by a "flat rate" which was determined by the number of
lighting outlets and the number of "convenience outlets" installed in
the house.
It is a safety and fire
safety issue as virtually NO living electrician is competent in K&T
technique

I guess I am not a living electrician. Minor changes are not that
difficult (like refeeding, which is common with a new service).

It may be common in the USA, but is VERY UNCOMMON here in Canada.
(and I am sure it is also very un-common in MANY parts of the USA. In
Canada it will NOT pass an inspection where an inspection is required.
If a circuit is modified,and particularly if a wall is opened, a
permit and inspection are required and the project MUST be brought up
to current code.

If I tear out my kitchen cabinets and reconfigure the kitchen I need
to bring it up to code (not much of a problem for me since mine was
redone about 12 years ago and my panel was replaced and inspected
about 5 or 6 years ago) ALL of the aluminum wiring had to be
inspected and remediated - and ANY CHANGES to the aluminum wiring -
including replacing a switch or receptace - BY CANADIAN CODE needs to
be done by a licensed electrician.
and the old rubber/cloth insulation doesn't respond well to
manipulation.

Rubber I have seen is generally in good condition. Original wiring in my
house is rubber (in rigid conduit).

New york or Chicago by chance? Even back in 1914 there were a goodly
number of AMERICAN cities where K&T wiring was outlawed - obstensibly
for "Safety reasons"

Only in the USA I guess. Rigid conduit in residential wiring is
virtually unheard of in Canada.

(Except in Multi Unit Residential Buildings where conduit is becoming
more common - particularly in masonary construction)

My Dad was an electrician and did a LOT of renovation wiring in older
homes and saw a LOT of extremely badly done "modifications" to K&T
systems - and had to remedy the problems caused including complete
rewires of houses where the modified K&T had not QUITE managed to burn
the house to the ground.

My kid's house had a lot of "extremely badly done" wiring. There was no K&T.
So argue about wiring of any type that is in bad condition.

As I wrote I have more concerns about the early 2-wire stuff before Romex.

I have heard of no data that says K&T is intrinsically a particular hazard.

It isn't - and I didn't say it is. I SAID shorts are almost unheard
of due to the spacing of the wires. Unmolested K&T IS SAFE - but
seldome actually found "in the wild"

Canadian electricians are molesters?
Insurance prohibition is not based on whether K&T is molested.

It is based on "condition" and "molested" -otherwise known as
"improperly modified" is a "condition" that fails inspection.

I haven't seen many K&T problems. Again, sorry about the sad state of
electric in Canada.

The state of electric in Canada is, by regulation. significantly
better than in most of the USA. We don't have a lot of K&T problems
in Canada either - because the VAST MAJORITY has been replaced. Our
safety requirements are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than in the USA.

It helps that Canadians don't see EVERYTHING the government does as
being a plot to deprive them of their constitutionally guaranteed
FREEDUMS (with the odd exceptions of a few - like 2 of my brothers -
-) - -

I'm sure you will be surprised to hear that I have seen other wiring
systems that have been molested.

Not surprised at all. I've seen rec rooms wired with outdoor telephone
wire (copper plated steel) I've seen connections made in the open with
no box. I've seen connections just twisted together (terribly, I might
add!!)and taped with hockey tape or covered with a rag bound on with
string.. I;ve found hidden junction boxes, and wiring done with
extention cords. I've seen nails driven through "romex" and wires
entered into boxes with no clamps - and the wires not stapled to the
structure. I've seen BX with no "anti-shorts" and EMT used as the
safety ground with gaps between pieces of condiuit. I've even seen the
conduit used as a neutral - on a jury rigged "edison circuit" and they
wondered why they were blowing their computer power supplies (voltage
varied from about 20 to 210 depending on the load distribution between
the 2 sides of the "floating neutral" circuit - - -

Note the court ruling and multiple states allowing insulation around K&T.

Again, just because it is ALLOWED does not make it wise.

The courts basically said it's against the constitutional rights to
tell people what they can and can't do with their own property. Courts
and common sence usually don't occupy the same space - -

It was allowed because there was no record of a problem.

If you turn your back and don't look for the problems you will never
see them. IF the K&T is just a lightly loaded lighting circuit you ARE
likely to get away with it - but there was a REASON original code
required all "open wiring on insulators" to be a minimum of 1 inch
from any surface - combustible or not.

I don't think Chicago went far enough requiring EMT. All wiring should
be rigid conduit. Who needs facts.

Wiring done with properly installed plastic jacketed "romex" wiring is
every bit as safe as wiring in conduit - emt, rigid, or plastic. It is
also a LOT easier to troubleshoot than individual conductors - it is
almost impossible to get crossed neutrals. I have worked with a fair
bit of individual wire in conduit and after someone has made an
undocumented modification, figuring out what they did and why it
doesn't work - or trying to re-modify it - is a LOT HARDER than a
"romex" or even "bx" sytem. I'd pretty mnuch have to agree a LARGE
part of the reason for Chicago and NYC and some other places requiring
everything be in conduit is due to union manipulation. Not all the
rats in Chicago have 4 legs!!!!! (rats chewing wires being one of
several reasons given for requiring conduit)

What it really cones down to is good workmanship, quality materials,
and understanding why things need to be sone a certain way.
And the NEC is trying to put most EXISTING residential circuits on AFCIs.

So???

Removes a lot of the risk from wiring problems (K&T or other).
Insurance requiring K&T to be on an AFCI would make some sense, but that
would defeat redlining.

It is not ALL a conspiracy - - - -

Putting everything on AFCI breakers adds a fair amount to the cost of
a job (I have most circuits on AFCI and / or GFCI in my house - the
AFCI being a second level of protection for the aluminum wiring.

DANG those things are expensive for a Square D QO panel!!!! -

Also 2-wire circuits can be connected downstream from a GFCI.

So???

One of the complaints about K&T (miraculously missing in this thread) is
that it does not include a ground wire. Downstream from a GFCI
eliminates most of that problem, and the NEC allows grounded type
receptacles downstream from a GFCI when there is not a ground.

( Only if identified as non grounded GFCI protected here in Canada)

Are you a professional electician ??

Master electrician.

I am not fond of K&T. I have just not seen where it is a lot more
dangerous than some other methods like, as I have said, the early 2-wire
pre-Romex. And you agree "unmolested K&T IS SAFE". K&T, like all
methods, can be abused. I don't think insurance or mortgage restrictions
are based in safety. Replacing it, unless you are doing a gut-rehab is
real expensive.

My dad rewired a LOT of houses - some K&T, some pre-grounded 2 wire
cable, and even some aluminum. With drywall construction it is NOT
that onerous, particularly with an accessible attic and unfinished
basement. The house where I grew up originally had 6 or 7 drop lights
and 2 "convenience plugs" and was lath and plaster over double brick
and log construction - story and a half - K$T with no boxes. Dad wired
it in his spare time over a period of a few months (and also installed
indoor plumbing and heat - house originally bult in about 1873???

He also did a LOT of rural electrification - and he figured out how
to do it without requiring a LOT of demolition and rebuilding.

And looking at the 3 summarized points to g on insulation, I don't
think the NEC insulation restriction is based on facts or data. I am
sure g is shocked to think code panel decisions are not based on facts
or data. Well, maybe not "shocked"...

It is based on history. When originally installed insulation around
the conductors was FORBIDDEN
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2021 7:03 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

Irrelevant to what you responded to.

And what I wrote is present tense.
NEC article 394 - Knob & tube
NEC article 398 - open wiring on insulators

All of this is really irrelevant.

All connections were hidden (except
those in open basement ot attic structures) soldered and taped
connections. Shorts were uncommon because the wires are separated by a
minimum of 8 inches..

Actually the legal minimum was 5 inches - (I was mistaken thinking
the minimum was 8 since 8 inches was commonly used here in Canada)

Zero relevance

Wiring in open basements is "open wiring on insulators"

As it is even within walls and enclosed floor / cieling

If you read the post from g, if enclosed it is K&T. "Open wiring on
insulators" is another NEC type of wiring. No penalty for this one - it
is esoteric NEC.

This goes back before the NEC (first codified in 1911 as part of the
National Fire Protection Association)

Which has no meaning.

A lot of the buildings were also "ring topology" - both live and
neutral had both ends connected to the panel. (Not all - but a
significant number)

Ring Topology was relatively common in EARLY K&T. Not so common in
later years

It was also more common in insustrial and commercial applications
because it virtually doubled the current capacity of the wire since
the current was split between the wires going to each end of the
"ring". The live "ring" would run around the building while the
neutral could either run around it as well or be run up the center of
the building, with each "branch circuit" tapped off around the
perimeter. "center neutral" made it VERY difficult to mix up the live
and neutral .

Sounds like "open wiring on insulators" and is, in any case, zero relevance

In residential applications it was generally in 2
circuit installations. When 3 wire (110/220) and multiple circuit
panels became common the advantages of ring topology pretty much
dissapeared.

Zero relevance.
Never used under the NEC.

It is also referenced in Crofts "American Electricians Handbook" so it
WAS known and used in the USA.

For industrial?

Irrelevant because it was not used in the US.
Or is Mickey Canadian? (That might explain some things.)

That may be how you do it. It is common in the UK. Maybe the queen told
your electricians to use ring circuits.

I have never even heard of that in the US.

I'm willing to bet there is one HELL OF A LOT that you are unaware of
having been done / used in the US!!!

Residential circuits, when K&T was used, were low amperage because there
was not a lot of load. Why would ring circuits be used?

And you think residential circuits were larger than 15A or wire smaller
than #14 (which would be the point of ring circuits)?

[...]

The state of Minnesota says I am.
I know how K&T is installed and have saved authentic knobs, tubes, wire,
loom.

It really is not that difficult.

My mother's house had the original K&T service on the 2nd floor. Feeding
it would require running a feeder from the basement service panel into a
wall on the 2nd floor. You then have fuses on the second floor in
addition to the service panel in the basement. The electricians who
installed the new stuff had no problem feeding the K&T where it was
exposed (fortunately they were not Canadian). I have never seen an
original K&T panel refed. And the 2 panels I remember had exposed
terminal screws on the fuse blocks- an inspector would love that.

I have personally seen many "original" panels fed as sub panels -
often as a "stopgap" while existing K&T or "surface molding" wiring
was phased out over time to avoid having to modify or "molest" any of
the original ancient yet functioning wiring.

Temporary wiring is relevant?
There are many reasons not to refeed original panels, I have listed them.

The NEC allows "extensions of existing installations". (That is probably
uncommon.)

It ALLOWS extentions - but they have to be done properly - and when
the cloth / rubber insulation deteriorates doing ANY modifications
gets dicey. Just because code "allows" it does not make it adviseable.

You have convinced me. Canadian electricians should not even be in a
building with K&T.

And American electricians should carry a REALLY GOOD errors and
omissions insurance policy!!!!

Yawn

[...]

Jeez - they are likely to burn down tomorrow.

When new lighting fixtures
etc need to be added, run new circuits from the new panel according to
current code. Decommission the circuits no longer used.

So lighting fixtures can't be replaced? Or is this just new wiring,
where lighting is not unique (except apparently in Canada).

They can't be replaced on a knob and cleat system where the original
light is on a "rosette" or suspended from "cleats" as was common
practice from the teens to the thirties?? - mabee longer in some
areas.

Surface wiring? That is not K&T.

Have you ever worked in any early REA systems???. K&T and surface
molding installations? The "light fixtures" were "drop lights" with
clip-on shades snapped onto the bulb.

Before electrical metering became common you paid by the light and by
the convenience outlet. People would buy "socket taps" to plug their
new-fangled electric iron into the lighting circuit so they didn't
have to have and pay for "convenience outlets" - and yes - this
happened in the USA - not just in Canada

I have a "socket tap" somewhere.
Zero relevance.

If there is no box it is against code to mount fixtures requiring a
box. Adding a box to a K$T circuit that does not have a box is
problematic at best

No boxes is another Canadian thing?

No. It was relatively common - particularly for lighting.. - and
surface mounted switches.. Even the old "punch button" switches were
"self boxed" - the wiring was protected by a porcelain box attached to
the back of the switch. Wooden boxes were also common - generally to
enclose "open blade knife switches"

Maybe in Canada.

- particularly if / when the wire from the old
fixture is roasted / toasted / sun-tanned and crispy fried.

The most toasted wires I have seen were not K&T and were behind
Circline fluorescent fixtures.

Maybe there was a problem with Canadian wire?

You really ARE an ignorand american ASS, aren't you????

You are fond of asserting what you (allegedly) see in Canada is what
occurs here.
Also fond of changing the subject.

[...]

Allowed by the NEC.

In
Canada it will NOT pass an inspection where an inspection is required.
If a circuit is modified,and particularly if a wall is opened, a
permit and inspection are required and the project MUST be brought up
to current code.

Not a NEC requirement.

If I tear out my kitchen cabinets and reconfigure the kitchen I need
to bring it up to code (not much of a problem for me since mine was
redone about 12 years ago and my panel was replaced and inspected
about 5 or 6 years ago) ALL of the aluminum wiring had to be
inspected and remediated - and ANY CHANGES to the aluminum wiring -
including replacing a switch or receptace - BY CANADIAN CODE needs to
be done by a licensed electrician.

Also not NEC requirements.

and the old rubber/cloth insulation doesn't respond well to
manipulation.

Rubber I have seen is generally in good condition. Original wiring in my
house is rubber (in rigid conduit).

New york or Chicago by chance? Even back in 1914 there were a goodly
number of AMERICAN cities where K&T wiring was outlawed - obstensibly
for "Safety reasons"

Zero relevance.
Chicago also did not allow Romex. I think also NYC.

[...]

IT IS NOT BASED ON CONDITION. That has been a major point.
The court case linked to was not inspected by an insurance company.
Likely no inspection of condition in micky's post.
When you are redlining inspections of condition are counterproductive.

I haven't seen many K&T problems. Again, sorry about the sad state of
electric in Canada.

The state of electric in Canada is, by regulation. significantly
better than in most of the USA. We don't have a lot of K&T problems
in Canada either - because the VAST MAJORITY has been replaced. Our
safety requirements are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than in the USA.

My favorite.
The my county's [whatever] is better than your country's [whatever] argument

[...]

Wrong
WITH MINIMAL READING ABILITY YOU COULD READ THAT THE THE COURTS
(INSURANCE AND INSULATION) FOUND NO EVIDENCE WAS PRESENTED TO JUSTIFY
INSURANCE DENIAL OR INSULATION PROHIBITION.

Sorry about the caps, but that is the major point I have been making.

It was allowed because there was no record of a problem.

If you turn your back and don't look for the problems you will never
see them. IF the K&T is just a lightly loaded lighting circuit you ARE
likely to get away with it - but there was a REASON original code
required all "open wiring on insulators" to be a minimum of 1 inch
from any surface - combustible or not.

WITH MINIMAL READING ABILITY YOU COULD HAVE READ THAT THE THE COURTS
(INSURANCE AND INSULATION) FOUND NO EVIDENCE WAS PRESENTED TO JUSTIFY
INSURANCE DENIAL OR INSULATION PROHIBITION.

Apparently needs repeating.

[...]

Chicago/NYC decisions not made on the basis of facts and data.
Just like prohibiting insulation on K&T.

[...]

Same here
Zero relevance.

Are you a professional electician ??

Master electrician.

I am not fond of K&T. I have just not seen where it is a lot more
dangerous than some other methods like, as I have said, the early 2-wire
pre-Romex. And you agree "unmolested K&T IS SAFE". K&T, like all
methods, can be abused. I don't think insurance or mortgage restrictions
are based in safety. Replacing it, unless you are doing a gut-rehab is
real expensive.

My dad rewired a LOT of houses - some K&T, some pre-grounded 2 wire
cable, and even some aluminum. With drywall construction it is NOT
that onerous, particularly with an accessible attic and unfinished
basement.

I guess Canada has a lot of K&T behind drywall.

The house where I grew up originally had 6 or 7 drop lights
and 2 "convenience plugs" and was lath and plaster over double brick
and log construction - story and a half - K$T with no boxes. Dad wired
it in his spare time over a period of a few months (and also installed
indoor plumbing and heat - house originally bult in about 1873???

Economics of slave labor is different.

He also did a LOT of rural electrification - and he figured out how
to do it without requiring a LOT of demolition and rebuilding.

And looking at the 3 summarized points to g on insulation, I don't
think the NEC insulation restriction is based on facts or data. I am
sure g is shocked to think code panel decisions are not based on facts
or data. Well, maybe not "shocked"...

It is based on history. When originally installed insulation around
the conductors was FORBIDDEN

IF YOU READ WHAT HAS BEEN WRITTEN, INSULATION INSTALLED AROUND K&T WAS
NOT FORBIDDEN. THE PROVISION WAS ADDED WITH NO SUBSTANTIATION FOR THE
CHANGE. THERE WAS NO BASIS FOR THE CHANGE EXCEPT OPINION.

Sorry about the caps again, but you don't seem to understand the arguments.