Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Ford Lightning. Battery F150

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars. The article mentions that
charging is a problem. For cars, I use mine for some long distance trip
so yes, it is a problem when you want to do 1200 miles in a day and a
half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back at
the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Funny to see the hood open and a bunch of stuff stored in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

Completely ****ed charging wise. **** that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 May 2021 05:32:15 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars. The article mentions that charging
is a problem. For cars, I use mine for some long distance trip so yes, it
is a problem when you want to do 1200 miles in a day and a half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back at
the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Still no point over the conventional version.

Funny to see the hood open and a bunch of stuff stored in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Fri, 21 May 2021 06:34:01 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:57:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars. The article mentions that
charging is a problem. For cars, I use mine for some long distance trip
so yes, it is a problem when you want to do 1200 miles in a day and a
half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back at
the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Funny to see the hood open and a bunch of stuff stored in there.

Is that where the generator is to recharge the truck?

Hey, you can power your house from it! Tesla didn't like the guy that tried
that, so Ford is a winner.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 4:34 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars.Â* The article mentions that
charging is a problem.Â* For cars, I use mine for some long distance
trip so yes, it is a problemÂ* when you want to do 1200 miles in a day
and a half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back
at the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Still no point over the conventional version.

Electrics have a way to go but look back at history. People did not
think the automobile would ever replace the horse. Look how pollution
controls evolved.

Battery technology is improving and in a few years my be away from
lithium.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:57:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars. The article mentions that
charging is a problem. For cars, I use mine for some long distance trip
so yes, it is a problem when you want to do 1200 miles in a day and a
half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back at
the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Funny to see the hood open and a bunch of stuff stored in there.

You still have to be near a big charger. That 80 amp charger takes all
night to charge the truck. The 80 amp charger may prompt a service
upgrade at your house.
The 150KW charger is some serious power. It would be over 180 amps at
480v 3p delta. (minimum circuit ampacity is 225a assuming the 150kw is
input power and a PF of 1, not delivered power).

It does make me wonder what happens to the grid if these things really
take off. Night time will certainly not be "off peak" with 200,000,000
EVs plugged in sucking down 10-20 KVA each.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 8:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

None of those things are insurmountable. Home chargers are $1000 to
$2000. Not all that much to add to the loan for a $50k truck. It does
not take all night to charge a truck if you do it on a regular basis.
How many miles will the average person drive a day? A couple of hours
and you are topped up.

The only reason the automobile was successful was the fact that there
were already 50,000 gas stations right? It took 100 years to get to
that point and the infrastructure has to change. Airports did not exist
in 1903 but they invented the airplane anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 7:22:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Interruptible power, maybe by hour or day would help a little.
The tree huggers can't wait for more coal power plants to be built.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 4:34 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars. The article mentions that
charging is a problem. For cars, I use mine for some long distance trip
so yes, it is a problem when you want to do 1200 miles in a day and a
half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back at
the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Still no point over the conventional version.

Electrics have a way to go

Most of the downsides over an ICE will never go.

but look back at history. People did not think the automobile would ever
replace the horse.

Only the fools didnt once the automobile got reliable enough.

No need for staging posts with the automobile,
no need for the long winded stuff you have to
do every day you use a horse to go anywhere,
no farting around chasing around the damned
paddock before you can use it etc etc etc.

Look how pollution controls evolved.

In practice that is a complete yawn for most with ICEs

Battery technology is improving

But is nothing even remotely like as long lived
as an ICE engine and will always cost more.

and in a few years my be away from lithium.

That is the time to consider if it makes any sense
instead of an ICE.

And the other problem with EVs is the ****ed range
with decent climate control for the occupants and
the damned nuisance of having to plug the damned
thing in every time you use it.

Even the lower fuel cost per mile doesnt pay for itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 8:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

Planes and automobiles had massive advantages over what they replaced.

EV dont have even a single advantage over an ICE.
The lower fuel cost per mile doesnt even pay for itself
even if you get the fuel for free from your solar panels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 9:25 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Planes and automobiles had massive advantages over what they replaced.

EV dont have even a single advantage over an ICE.
The lower fuel cost per mile doesnt even pay for itself
even if you get the fuel for free from your solar panels.

Of course they do, you are not thinking of the future. Now you do
mention free electricity from solar panels, that is a start. What will
be the situation with gas/oil in the next 10, 20, 50 years? It will be
more expensive and harder and harder to find.

There is a finite amount of oil. When should we come up with
alternatives? Every car or truck that is fueled by other than oil
leaves a bit more to make the transition easier.

There are 1.65 trillion barrels of proven oil reserves in the world as
of 2016. The world has proven reserves equivalent to 46.6 times its
annual consumption levels. This means it has about 47 years of oil left
(at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/20/2021 12:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars. The article mentions that
charging is a problem. For cars, I use mine for some long distance trip
so yes, it is a problem when you want to do 1200 miles in a day and a
half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back at
the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Don't forget to plug your forklift in when you leave...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Electric_Truck

I'm not sure it was a Walker but I've seen a early 1900's electric
delivery truck in a museum, possibly the one in Reno.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/20/2021 04:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/20/2021 4:34 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars. The article mentions that
charging is a problem. For cars, I use mine for some long distance
trip so yes, it is a problem when you want to do 1200 miles in a day
and a half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back
at the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Still no point over the conventional version.

Electrics have a way to go but look back at history. People did not
think the automobile would ever replace the horse. Look how pollution
controls evolved.

Battery technology is improving and in a few years my be away from lithium.

https://junkscience.com/2020/10/mean...bor-in-africa/

Black lives don't matter for **** in the DRC as long as the libs can
have their Teslas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 9:50 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/20/2021 12:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars.Â* The article mentions that
charging is a problem.Â* For cars, I use mine for some long distance trip
so yes, it is a problemÂ* when you want to do 1200 miles in a day and a
half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back at
the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Don't forget to plug your forklift in when you leave...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Electric_Truck

Cool. Never saw that. Looks decent size.

I'm not sure it was a Walker but I've seen a early 1900's electric
delivery truck in a museum, possibly the one in Reno.

When I lived in CT a guy in town had a Baker Electric from about 1906.
He took it out once a year for the 4th of July parade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
news
On 5/20/2021 9:25 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Planes and automobiles had massive advantages over what they replaced.

EV dont have even a single advantage over an ICE.
The lower fuel cost per mile doesnt even pay for itself
even if you get the fuel for free from your solar panels.

Of course they do, you are not thinking of the future.

The future is irrelevant when considering whether
to buy an ICE or an EV which will be worthless in less
than 8 years when it needs a new very expensive battery.

Now you do mention free electricity from solar panels, that is a start.

Not currently it isnt because of the stupidly
higher price of the EV version and the cost
of the solar panels.

What will be the situation with gas/oil in the next 10, 20, 50 years? It
will be more expensive and harder and harder to find.

That is the time you consider which to buy next, not today.

There is a finite amount of oil. When should we come up with
alternatives?

We already have the alternative natural gas.

Every car or truck that is fueled by other than oil leaves a bit more to
make the transition easier.

Mindless stuff.

There are 1.65 trillion barrels of proven oil reserves in the world as of
2016. The world has proven reserves equivalent to 46.6 times its annual
consumption levels. This means it has about 47 years of oil left (at
current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).

And when that is gone we can make more using the power from nukes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:57:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars. The article mentions that
charging is a problem. For cars, I use mine for some long distance trip
so yes, it is a problem when you want to do 1200 miles in a day and a
half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back at
the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Funny to see the hood open and a bunch of stuff stored in there.

I'm not a fan of electrics but I really can't see it in a truck. The
batteries subtract from the payload and towing capability.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 05/20/2021 12:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars. The article mentions that
charging is a problem. For cars, I use mine for some long distance trip
so yes, it is a problem when you want to do 1200 miles in a day and a
half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back at
the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Don't forget to plug your forklift in when you leave...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Electric_Truck

I'm not sure it was a Walker but I've seen a early 1900's electric
delivery truck in a museum, possibly the one in Reno.

They were common for delivering milk first
thing in the morning in britain back then

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 4:34 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars.Â* The article mentions that
charging is a problem.Â* For cars, I use mine for some long distance
trip so yes, it is a problemÂ* when you want to do 1200 miles in a day
and a half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back
at the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Still no point over the conventional version.

Electrics have a way to go but look back at history.Â* People did not
think the automobile would ever replace the horse.Â* Look how pollution
controls evolved.

Battery technology is improving and in a few years my be away from
lithium.

https://junkscience.com/2020/10/mean...bor-in-africa/

Black lives don't matter for **** in the DRC as long as the libs can
have their Teslas.

Hey, they are good careers! Life long jobs except they don't live very long.

From what I read, lithium is on the way out in the next few years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 9:25 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Planes and automobiles had massive advantages over what they replaced.

EV dont have even a single advantage over an ICE.
The lower fuel cost per mile doesnt even pay for itself
even if you get the fuel for free from your solar panels.

Of course they do, you are not thinking of the future.

The future is irrelevant when considering whether
to buy an ICE or an EV which will be worthless in less
than 8 years when it needs a new very expensive battery.

Now you do mention free electricity from solar panels, that is a start.

Not currently it isnt because of the stupidly
higher price of the EV version and the cost
of the solar panels.

What will be the situation with gas/oil in the next 10, 20, 50 years?
It will be more expensive and harder and harder to find.

That is the time you consider which to buy next, not today.

There is a finite amount of oil.Â* When should we come up with
alternatives?

We already have the alternative natural gas.

Every car or truck that is fueled by other than oil leaves a bit more
to make the transition easier.

Mindless stuff.

There are 1.65 trillion barrels of proven oil reserves in the world as
of 2016. The world has proven reserves equivalent to 46.6 times its
annual consumption levels. This means it has about 47 years of oil
left (at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).

And when that is gone we can make more using the power from nukes.

Natural gas is finite too.
There are 6,923 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of proven gas reserves in the
world as of 2017. The world has proven reserves equivalent to 52.3 times
its annual consumption. This means it has about 52 years of gas left (at
current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).

So we have about 40 years to make the transition. It is evolutionary,
not revolutionary. NOW is the time to start sorting out the issues for
a future. Sorry you are so shortsighted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 9:25 PM, Joey wrote:

[...]

That ignores fracking.

So we have about 40 years to make the transition. It is evolutionary, not
revolutionary.

Thats bull**** with the change from ICE to EV.

NOW is the time to start sorting out the issues for a future.

Design wise, but not buying wise.

Nothing is achieved by farting around plugging
the stupid EV in every ****ing night and spending
stupid money replacing the very expensive battery
every 7 years or so and polluting the environment
with ****ed EV batteries.

Sorry you are so shortsighted.

More mindless bull****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 11:22 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Sorry you are so shortsighted.

More mindless bull****.

That's the best you can come up with?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 20:49:49 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/20/2021 8:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

If those trucks are used like trucks, that 300 mile range is a
fantasy. Hook that 10,000 pound trailer, they brag about, on it and
drive it around all day in the winter with a 5000 watt heater going.
See how you do then. That also assumes they are not using the power
ports as a job site generator.
Maybe I am used to work trucks.
They may think everyone is just going to buy big tires, shine their
truck up, cruise around and try to impress the cow girls.

The only reason the automobile was successful was the fact that there
were already 50,000 gas stations right? It took 100 years to get to
that point and the infrastructure has to change. Airports did not exist
in 1903 but they invented the airplane anyway.

The big difference is gasoline was a waste product from the production
of kerosene, a glut on the dry cleaning market and there was already
an infrastructure for distributing kerosene. Rockefeller was pretty
fast to expand that into a national network of gas stations. Cars were
also a totally new thing so the gasoline infrastructure had plenty of
time to evolve.

These EVs are coming fast and I am not sure if the grid is up to the
task. That is particularly true in places like California and the
Northeast where the grid is already straining.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 5/20/2021 11:22 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Sorry you are so shortsighted.

More mindless bull****.

That's the best you can come up with?

Clearly that **** is the best you can come up with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 21:49:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/20/2021 9:25 PM, Joey wrote:

[...]

We have been hearing about running out of oil for 50 years and we keep
finding more.
I also wonder if your boss is going to buy and maintain $15,000 worth
of solar panels for every parking spot?
Hope you don't have a cloudy day or you might not make it home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Ed Pawlowski wrote
wrote
Ed Pawlowski wrote
Dean Hoffman wrote

[...]

Corse it isnt.

That is particularly true in places like California and
the Northeast where the grid is already straining.

Yep, not a hope in hell that it can handle a substantial number of EVs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 23:34:06 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/20/2021 11:22 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Sorry you are so shortsighted.

More mindless bull****.

That's the best you can come up with?

Sounds like Rod to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/20/2021 07:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Now you do mention free electricity from solar panels, that is a start.

TANSTAAFL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 May 2021 11:11:09 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 May 2021 14:32:01 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 May 2021 12:12:11 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2021 12:32 AM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 5/20/2021 11:22 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Sorry you are so shortsighted.

More mindless bull****.

That's the best you can come up with?

Clearly that **** is the best you can come up with.

No, I can see the need for radical change in the future. When running
out of oil was brought up, you countered that natural gas will replace
it. NG will run out too so changing cars to it depletes it faster.
There are hundreds of thousands of homes that heat and cook with NG.
What do they do?

When oil is gone what do we fuel airplanes with?
You don't see past today. Look at the evolution of the automobile and
how long it took to become safe and fuel efficient. It will take a long
time for electrics to become easily fueled with recyleable batteries and
a way to charge them

What is your plan? What to yoy see in 40 years?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2021 12:19 AM, wrote:

None of those things are insurmountable. Home chargers are $1000 to
$2000. Not all that much to add to the loan for a $50k truck. It does
not take all night to charge a truck if you do it on a regular basis.
How many miles will the average person drive a day? A couple of hours
and you are topped up.

If those trucks are used like trucks, that 300 mile range is a
fantasy. Hook that 10,000 pound trailer, they brag about, on it and
drive it around all day in the winter with a 5000 watt heater going.
See how you do then. That also assumes they are not using the power
ports as a job site generator.
Maybe I am used to work trucks.
They may think everyone is just going to buy big tires, shine their
truck up, cruise around and try to impress the cow girls.

Look around at the supermarket parking lot. Thousand of trucks never
haul more than two bags of groceries. They never travel more than 20
miles from home. There is a big market for that. Every EV that
replaces a gas or diesel stretches the finite supply of oil.

The only reason the automobile was successful was the fact that there
were already 50,000 gas stations right? It took 100 years to get to
that point and the infrastructure has to change. Airports did not exist
in 1903 but they invented the airplane anyway.

The big difference is gasoline was a waste product from the production
of kerosene, a glut on the dry cleaning market and there was already
an infrastructure for distributing kerosene. Rockefeller was pretty
fast to expand that into a national network of gas stations. Cars were
also a totally new thing so the gasoline infrastructure had plenty of
time to evolve.

These EVs are coming fast and I am not sure if the grid is up to the
task. That is particularly true in places like California and the
Northeast where the grid is already straining.

No the grid is not up to it. Will it ever be if not pushed into it? CA
can't even keep the lights on at night so this is what will push them to
act now, not 40 years when too late.

What is your plan for 50 years from now? How do we fuel ships and
airplanes? How about all those homes heated with NG or oil?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2021 12:56 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/20/2021 07:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Now you do mention free electricity from solar panels, that is a start.

TANSTAAFL

True, but not everyone can drill an oil well when the gas stations run out.

Ford car stereo F87F-18C815-BB drains car battery. David Farber Electronics Repair 18 March 21st 13 01:22 AM
Four Tips When Choosing New Ford Truck Seat Covers.(ford truckaccessory) [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 29th 08 05:12 AM
Sorta off topic: F150 running boards Koz Metalworking 8 April 19th 05 06:24 PM
Lightning conductors DKSanders UK diy 27 October 29th 03 02:26 AM
Lightning strike to JVC AV-36260 John Del Electronics Repair 2 July 10th 03 06:50 PM