Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT ish Toro WheelHorse 520H mower deck installation

Hi all - I've been having a terrible time re-installing my 48
inch side discharge deck after removal for maintenance.
It invariably becomes a curse-fest. I feel like I must be missing
some little helpful trick. Anyone here with experience with this
line of lawn tractors ? Mine is 1990-91 but they were much the
same from mid-1980s to - mid or late 1990s.
I have the Owners Manual for the tractor - it says to refer to
the attachment's manual for details .. which I don't have.
The trouble is in aligning the deck's "Quick Attach" bar after
hanging the deck on the raise-lower pin - I needed a neighbour's
help today. Yes - the deck hydro-control is lowered completely ;
When I first bought the tractor, I tried attaching the Quick-Attach
first - but it made hanging the deck onto the raise-lower pin
impossible. - Again - maybe there is some trick that I haven't yet
figured out ..
I'm going to youtube to search for some help - but I thought
I'd also try here.
I once used a YahooGroup for vintage WheelHorse
but I think it's dead now
Thanks. John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 6:51:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

In case my search ended up differently than yours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K45NF4It-gc
I didn't bother watching.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 17:35:28 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Dean - much appreciated -
- the video didn't answer my question - but it gave me
some hints about my troubles. My deck attachment is
identical to this video's model. but - big but -
there's no way to lower my deck-height-pin to
simply slide into the deck bar - on level ground -
- my lift pin is ~ 4 inches above that .. at its lowest.

ps: I got rabbit-holed by the 6 minute 1991 adverts
and the rebuild & carb jobs on youtube ..
it's amazing what's out there !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3h2Qwr16g8

Again - thanks for your help.
Regards ; John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Remove front wheels?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Front wheels are not involved. in my problem.
If I could lower my lift-pin another 4 inches -
like the video - I think the Quick Attach would
attach quickly ! ... but then I would be mowing
golf greens ...
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Have you looked thru these websites for info ?

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/modules....show_doc&id=28

find the deck's model number and see if the PDF of manual is listed
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you looked thru these websites for info ?

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/modules....show_doc&id=28

find the deck's model number and see if the PDF of manual is listed

Thanks - I'll dig into those forums.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So the deck needs to be raised? How about a good, old fashioned shovel to use as a lever to
raise it? Do you have some left over chunks of wood or bricks around to prop it up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you can't lower the bridge, raise the river. Why is it so hard to put some pieces
of 2x4 or similar under the deck, lift one side at a time, get it to the height it needs
to be? Save the wood or at least record the necessary height for next time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Remove front wheels?

If you can't lower the bridge, raise the river. Why is it so hard to put some pieces
of 2x4 or similar under the deck, lift one side at a time, get it to the height it needs
to be? Save the wood or at least record the necessary height for next time.

I'm able to lift the deck onto the raise-lower pin - it's a bit
heavy & awkward but the problem starts after that - in
aligning the deck's Quick-Attach bar -
difficult to explain or picture it unless you see it ..
Thanks anyway. I'll try the WheelHorse links that were posted.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 04:16:36 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to
digest...

wrote:

[...]

That's what I would suggest; some 2x4's shoved under the deck.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I got diverted a few days ago. Something on tv reminded me of Credence Clearwater.
One YouTube led to another. They let even Willie Nelson on that site.