Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sci Fi authors

I am looking for recommendations for good sci-fi authors. Preferably authors and books within the last 20 years.

I understand that opinions are subjective.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 10:29:12 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for good sci-fi authors.
Preferably authors and books within the last 20 years.
I understand that opinions are subjective.
Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Bradbury

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 1:29:15 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for good sci-fi authors. Preferably authors and books within the last 20 years.

I understand that opinions are subjective.

Thanks.

James S.A. Corey
Andy Weir (The Martian, not Artemis)
Craig Alanson

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 20:40:06 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

It's hard to say where to start with Barnett, maybe

NO, it isn't! NOT for you! Isn't, senile gossip!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 20:40:06 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 04/20/2021 11:29 AM, AK wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for good sci-fi authors.

'The Fourth Law'.
The Machine Civilization universe tends to sprawl with references and
cameo appearances of characters you may not have met.

[...] Porretto's 'Which Art in Hope' from the Spooner Federation

Frederick Pohl. If you read the 'Eschaton' trology, which are his best
works, (5 books), be sure to do them in proper order.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2021 12:29 PM, AK wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for good sci-fi authors. Preferably authors and books within the last 20 years.

I understand that opinions are subjective.

Thanks.

Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. The series stars
Peter Grant, a mixed race London Police Constable/apprentice
wizard. This is an excellent series.

But if you want a lot of recommendations you should take this
request to rec.arts.sf.written. There are a lot of people
who are really interested in science fiction and fantasy.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 9:12:24 AM UTC-4, Bill Gill wrote:
On 4/20/2021 12:29 PM, AK wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for good sci-fi authors. Preferably authors and books within the last 20 years.

I understand that opinions are subjective.

Thanks.

Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. The series stars
Peter Grant, a mixed race London Police Constable/apprentice
wizard. This is an excellent series.

I took his "sci-fi" literally, and excluded my favorite fantasy authors (of
whom Aaronvitch is one). If we're going there, I'd add:

Terry Pratchett
Jim Butcher
Neil Gaiman
Kevin Hearne
And, with some trepidation, Patrick Rothfuss (although I expect I might be
dead before his finishes the damned trilogy).

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:22:15 +0000, Mike Duffy wrote:

Frederick Pohl. If you read the 'Eschaton' trilogy,
(5 books), be sure to do them in proper order.

Sorry to self-follow-up, but the 'Eschaton' trilogy was a trilogy.

And I just noticed at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Frederik_Pohl

that the 'Heechee' saga is six books, the last of which is new to me, so
thanks, AK. I'm sure I will enjoy reading it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 9:31:26 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:22:15 +0000, Mike Duffy wrote:

Frederick Pohl. If you read the 'Eschaton' trilogy,
(5 books), be sure to do them in proper order.

Sorry to self-follow-up, but the 'Eschaton' trilogy was a trilogy.

And I just noticed at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Frederik_Pohl

that the 'Heechee' saga is six books, the last of which is new to me, so
thanks, AK. I'm sure I will enjoy reading it!

Thanks to all who gave me plenty of authors.
:-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2021 08:06 AM, wrote:
And, with some trepidation, Patrick Rothfuss (although I expect I might be
dead before his finishes the damned trilogy).

That's better than Martin who probably will be dead before he finishes
his whatever.

I enjoyed Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series but wasn't as
enthusiastic about the magic oriented books.

Eric Flint's 1632 and the follow-ons are good too. Flint was a cofounder
of the Baen Free Library:

https://www.baen.com/allbooks/category/index/id/2012

There are a number of short story collections for variety as well as
full length works. His 1632 is there, one of Correia''s, several by
Drake, and other authors. The price is right and if you like an author
Baen has a lot of non-free books.

Disclaimer: Flint is as far left as they come but it seldom seeps
through into his fiction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 20:11:16 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

That's better than Martin who probably will be dead before he finishes
his whatever.

I enjoyed Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series but wasn't as
enthusiastic about the magic oriented books.

Eric Flint's 1632 and the follow-ons are good too. Flint was a cofounder
of the Baen Free Library:

https://www.baen.com/allbooks/category/index/id/2012

There are a number of short story collections for variety as well as
full length works. His 1632 is there, one of Correia''s, several by
Drake, and other authors. The price is right and if you like an author
Baen has a lot of non-free books.

Disclaimer: Flint is as far left as they come but it seldom seeps
through into his fiction.

Oh, no!!! The endlessly gossiping senile washerwoman struck again!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 10:11:14 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 04/21/2021 08:06 AM, wrote:
And, with some trepidation, Patrick Rothfuss (although I expect I might be
dead before his finishes the damned trilogy).

That's better than Martin who probably will be dead before he finishes
his whatever.

I enjoyed Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series but wasn't as
enthusiastic about the magic oriented books.

Eric Flint's 1632 and the follow-ons are good too. Flint was a cofounder
of the Baen Free Library:

I liked 1632, but not so much the follow-on stuff.

https://www.baen.com/allbooks/category/index/id/2012

There are a number of short story collections for variety as well as
full length works. His 1632 is there, one of Correia''s, several by
Drake, and other authors. The price is right and if you like an author
Baen has a lot of non-free books.

Disclaimer: Flint is as far left as they come but it seldom seeps
through into his fiction.

Really? Sure, he's for the workers and against the bosses, but
so was my grandfather. Overall I thought 1632 displayed rather
"old-fashioned" values. I suppose the one doesn't preclude the
other.

Cindy Hamilton