Posted to alt.home.repair,alt..english.usage

Default air

If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air? Is the
stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is "air" limited to earth.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt..english.usage

micky wrote

If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air?

That's how choppers work, they don't work without it.

Is the stuff near the surface of Mars "air".

The composition is very different, its almost entirely carbon
dioxide and at a much lower pressure than here on earth.

Or is "air" limited to earth.

Nope.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt..english.usage

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 07:23:46 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt..english.usage

On 04/19/2021 02:29 PM, micky wrote:
If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air? Is the
stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is "air" limited to earth.

CO2. The long range plan is to sequester the Earth's CO2 on Mars and
send the Democrats there to monitor the concentrations.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt..english.usage

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 19:10:13 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air? Is the
stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is "air" limited to earth.

CO2. The long range plan is to sequester the Earth's CO2 on Mars and
send the Democrats there to monitor the concentrations.

How about sending there endlessly prattling useless senile gossips? You
could only get on each others' nerves then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 4:29:21 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air? Is the
stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is "air" limited to earth.

Is the word "atmosphere" in your vocabulary?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/21 5:25 AM, wrote:
On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 4:29:21 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air? Is the
stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is "air" limited to earth.

Is the word "atmosphere" in your vocabulary?

Cindy Hamilton

Definition of air

*(Entry 1 of 2)
1a : the mixture of invisible odorless tasteless gases (such as nitrogen and oxygen) that surrounds the earth also : the equivalent mix of gases on another planet the thin, frigid air of Mars. Stefano S. Coledan

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/air

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20/04/2021 10:25, wrote:
On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 4:29:21 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air? Is the
stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is "air" limited to earth.

Is the word "atmosphere" in your vocabulary?

Cindy Hamilton

He should also learn the word called Google.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 20 Apr 2021 02:25:48 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 4:29:21 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air? Is the
stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is "air" limited to earth.

Is the word "atmosphere" in your vocabulary?

Cindy Hamilton

Sure. I thought of that. I didn't look it up until now.

Dictionary.com lists both meanings (but separately):

1) the gaseous envelope surrounding the earth; the air: a weather
balloon rising high into the atmosphere.

3) Astronomy. the gaseous envelope surrounding a heavenly body: The
white ovals seen in Saturn's atmosphere could be intense storms.

From atmo-, a combining form meaning air, used in the formation of
compound words: atmosphere. Greek, combining form of atms vapor,
smoke

OTOH, for "air" the only relevant meaning it has is "a mixture of
nitrogen, oxygen, and minute amounts of other gases that surrounds the
earth and forms its atmosphere." https://www.dictionary.com/browse/air

So, as I suspected, at least acc. to dictionary.com, based on the Random
House Unabridged Dictionary, Random House, Inc. 2021, "air" is the
atmosphere of the Earth, but the atmosphere of Mars is not called air.

That didn't used to matter much, but now it seems more important.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 4:29:21 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air? Is the
stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is "air" limited to earth.

Is the word "atmosphere" in your vocabulary?

Cindy Hamilton

Sure. I thought of that. I didn't look it up until now.

Dictionary.com lists both meanings (but separately):

1) the gaseous envelope surrounding the earth; the air: a weather
balloon rising high into the atmosphere.

3) Astronomy. the gaseous envelope surrounding a heavenly body: The
white ovals seen in Saturn's atmosphere could be intense storms.

From atmo-, a combining form meaning air, used in the formation of
compound words: atmosphere. Greek, combining form of atmós vapor,
smoke

OTOH, for "air" the only relevant meaning it has is "a mixture of
nitrogen, oxygen, and minute amounts of other gases that surrounds the
earth and forms its atmosphere." https://www.dictionary.com/browse/air

So, as I suspected, at least acc. to dictionary.com, based on the Random
House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2021, "air" is the
atmosphere of the Earth, but the atmosphere of Mars is not called air.

That didn't used to matter much, but now it seems more important.

Yes, I'm very concerned about it's importance now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 4:29:21 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air? Is the
stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is "air" limited to earth.

Is the word "atmosphere" in your vocabulary?

Cindy Hamilton

That was my thought. In that regard "air" is an earthly thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt..english.usage

On 4/19/21 5:23 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
micky wrote
If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air?

That's how choppers work, they don't work without it.
Is the stuff near the surface of Mars "air".

The composition is very different, its almost entirely carbon dioxide
and at a much lower pressure than here on earth.
Or is "air" limited to earth.

Nope.

Why does anyone respond to "Micky" who plays the AHR Newsgroup Nitwit?
His posts are as dumb as can be. How can anyone take them seriously and
respond...

--
Stupid is as stupid does.
- Forrest Gump

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt..english.usage

"Wade Garrett" wrote in message
On 4/19/21 5:23 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
micky wrote
If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air?

That's how choppers work, they don't work without it.
Is the stuff near the surface of Mars "air".

The composition is very different, its almost entirely carbon dioxide and
at a much lower pressure than here on earth.
Or is "air" limited to earth.

Nope.

Why does anyone respond to "Micky"

Some of the issues he comments on are interesting.

who plays the AHR Newsgroup Nitwit? His posts are as dumb as can be. How
can anyone take them seriously and respond...

See above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 06:02:12 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Why does anyone respond to "Micky"

Some of the issues he comments on are interesting.

To a trolling nitwit like you, yes!

who plays the AHR Newsgroup Nitwit? His posts are as dumb as can be. How
can anyone take them seriously and respond...

See above.

See above, troll!

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt..english.usage

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 14:56:16 -0400, Wade Garrett posted for all of us to
digest...

On 4/19/21 5:23 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
micky wrote
If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the air?

That's how choppers work, they don't work without it.
Is the stuff near the surface of Mars "air".

The composition is very different, its almost entirely carbon dioxide
and at a much lower pressure than here on earth.
Or is "air" limited to earth.

Nope.

Why does anyone respond to "Micky" who plays the AHR Newsgroup Nitwit?
His posts are as dumb as can be. How can anyone take them seriously and
respond...

It's fun. Along with air I like fun. I try to stay respectful but there are
limits. Better than politics.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 07:46:15 -0400, micky
wrote:

"air" is the
atmosphere of the Earth, but the atmosphere of Mars is not called air.
That didn't used to matter much, but now it seems more important.

And I think that we'll eventually come around to calling it "air" at
some point, if only because it's inconvenient to have to have a
separate word for every each planet's atmosphere. I suspect it'll be
kind of like what's happened to "geology" as in "The Geology of the
Terrestrial Planets". That title surprised me the first time I saw it.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

wrote:

"air" is the
atmosphere of the Earth, but the atmosphere of Mars is not called air.
That didn't used to matter much, but now it seems more important.

And I think that we'll eventually come around to calling it "air" at
some point,

You're probably right, but I have to hold out as long as I can. It's
all I've got to separate myself from the savages.

if only because it's inconvenient to have to have a
separate word for every each planet's atmosphere. I suspect it'll be
kind of like what's happened to "geology" as in "The Geology of the
Terrestrial Planets". That title surprised me the first time I saw it.

It surprises me, too. I didn't think they even had GM Geo's any place
but Earth.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

micky:

If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the
air? Is the stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is
"air" limited to earth.

Or have you just exhausted your daily allotment of question
marks?

I think `air' is a legitimate and in the long term unavoid-
able word for the substance of Martial (or Martian?) atmo-
sphere. Mars already has moons, and other worlds already
have their own suns. Storms have eyes, as rivers do mouths.
Boats have noses, saws have teeth, caves have lips, wheat
has ears. Economy of vocabulary by means of metaphorical
reuse of existng words is a major force behind the adapta-
tion of language to the ever-changing world.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 23:47:12 +0300, Anton Shepelev
wrote:

micky:

If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the
air? Is the stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is
"air" limited to earth.

Or have you just exhausted your daily allotment of question
marks?

I think `air' is a legitimate and in the long term unavoid-
able word for the substance of Martial (or Martian?) atmo-
sphere. Mars already has moons, and other worlds already
have their own suns. Storms have eyes, as rivers do mouths.
Boats have noses, saws have teeth, caves have lips, wheat
has ears.

I would have used corn for that last example, versus wheat.

Economy of vocabulary by means of metaphorical
reuse of existng words is a major force behind the adapta-
tion of language to the ever-changing world.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

wrote:

I think `air' is a legitimate and in the long term unavoid-
able word for the substance of Martial (or Martian?) atmo-
sphere. Mars already has moons, and other worlds already
have their own suns

Good point. Seeing it, I realize that it was the direction I was going
with "Geology of the Terrestrial Planets" but didn't follow it
through. "Martian geology" already turns up 28 thousand Google hits
and "Martian geography" fetches up over 10 thousand. (Alas poor
Areography I knew thee not so well as I thought.) At just 509 hits,
"Martian geophysics" is a real newcomer to the herd. Nobody seems to
fancy "Martian geomancy" just yet; however we've already got "Default
history file on front below the permafrost martian? Geomancy is a
kaffir lime leaf?", "Personally thats not martian? Geomancy is a
draw!", and "Nomad almost got blown out vein? unvariably Marty the
martian! Geomancy is a biologically healthy garden." so it can't be
far off.

--
Bob
Taking time off from translating annual reports
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

On 22/04/2021 02:23, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 23:47:12 +0300, Anton Shepelev
wrote:

micky:

If the helicopter on Mars goes up, does it go up in the
air? Is the stuff near the surface of Mars "air". Or is
"air" limited to earth.

Or have you just exhausted your daily allotment of question
marks?

I think `air' is a legitimate and in the long term unavoid-
able word for the substance of Martial (or Martian?) atmo-
sphere. Mars already has moons, and other worlds already
have their own suns. Storms have eyes, as rivers do mouths.
Boats have noses, saws have teeth, caves have lips, wheat
has ears.

I would have used corn for that last example, versus wheat.

Not to mention walls.

Economy of vocabulary by means of metaphorical
reuse of existng words is a major force behind the adapta-
tion of language to the ever-changing world.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

wrote:

[...]

In a different field there is a word that has acquired a meaning way
beyond its original sense and usage:

"vaccine"

https://www.lexico.com/definition/vaccine

noun

1 A substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and
provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from
the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic
substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the
disease.
there is no vaccine against the virus

Origin

Late 18th century from Latin vaccinus, from vacca cow (because of
the early use of the cowpox virus against smallpox).

As far as I know there are no cows involved in the inoculants,
"vaccines", used to trigger immunity agaist Covid-19, influenza, etc.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

wrote:

[...]

What kind of anti-cow prejudice does this represent.

As spokesman for the CLM (the Cow Liberation Movement) I protest.

We will be demonstrating every Friday until this outrage has ended.

Friday represents another Anti-Cow practice, part of the Catholic
Church's long-term goal to end eating meat all the time. They started
with Friday but that one day is not their long term goal. The cows I
represent feel they are entitled to be eaten 7 days a week.

"vaccines", used to trigger immunity agaist Covid-19, influenza, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 23:11:05 -0400, micky
wrote:

Late 18th century from Latin vaccinus, from vacca cow (because of
the early use of the cowpox virus against smallpox).
As far as I know there are no cows involved in the inoculants,

What kind of anti-cow prejudice does this represent.

As spokesman for the CLM (the Cow Liberation Movement) I protest.
We will be demonstrating every Friday until this outrage has ended.

Fat and docile, big and dumb / They look so stupid, they aren't much
fun / Cows aren't fun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/cows_with_guns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI
http://cowswithguns.com/