Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ?Q?=E2=80=9Cinset_beam=E2=80=9D_retrofit_with_joi st_hangers_=3F?=

When I removed a load-bearing wall to create an open-concept kitchen/living room, we placed one large LVL beam perpendicular to and under the ceiling joists where the load-bearing wall was and supported the ends. A few years later, I had a contractor do the same to create one large master bedroom. He had to remove the load-bearing wall between the two bedrooms, but instead of putting the LVL beam perpendicular and BELOW the ceiling joists again, he cut into the joists and fitted an LVL up between them (still perpendicular to them), and added joist hangers on the LVL for each of the ceiling joists (i.e. both sides of the LVL). Is there a special name for this type of inset beam retrofit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ?Q?_=e2=80=9cinset_beam=e2=80=9d_retrofit_with _joist_hang?=?Q?ers_=3f?=

On 4/10/21 3:16 PM, wrote:
When I removed a load-bearing wall to create an open-concept kitchen/living room, we placed one large LVL beam perpendicular to and under the ceiling joists where the load-bearing wall was and supported the ends. A few years later, I had a contractor do the same to create one large master bedroom. He had to remove the load-bearing wall between the two bedrooms, but instead of putting the LVL beam perpendicular and BELOW the ceiling joists again, he cut into the joists and fitted an LVL up between them (still perpendicular to them), and added joist hangers on the LVL for each of the ceiling joists (i.e. both sides of the LVL). Is there a special name for this type of inset beam retrofit?

Maybe "flush beam" as opposed to "exposed beam" ?

https://www.aconcordcarpenter.com/re...lush-beam.html

Looks like a lot of work just to avoid an exposed beam ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's it. Yes, a "flush beam". Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default inset beam retrofit with joist hangers ?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 12:16:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

When I removed a load-bearing wall to create an open-concept kitchen/living room, we placed one large LVL beam perpendicular to and under the ceiling joists where the load-bearing wall was and supported the ends. A few years later, I had a contractor do the same to create one large master bedroom. He had to remove the

load-bearing wall between the two bedrooms, but instead of putting the LVL beam perpendicular and BELOW the ceiling joists again, he cut into the joists and fitted an LVL up between them (still perpendicular to them), and added joist hangers on the LVL for each of the ceiling joists (i.e. both sides of the LVL). Is there a special
name for this type of inset beam retrofit?

Did he get engineering or he just do it. This sounds pretty shaky to
me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good question, but it was done all good and legit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I removed a load-bearing wall to create an open-concept kitchen/living room, we placed one large LVL beam perpendicular to and under the ceiling joists where the load-bearing wall was and supported the ends. A few years later, I had a contractor do the same to create one large master bedroom.. He had to remove the

load-bearing wall between the two bedrooms, but instead of putting the LVL beam perpendicular and BELOW the ceiling joists again, he cut into the joists and fitted an LVL up between them (still perpendicular to them), and added joist hangers on the LVL for each of the ceiling joists (i.e. both sides of the LVL). Is there a special
name for this type of inset beam retrofit?
Did he get engineering or he just do it. This sounds pretty shaky to
me.

It doesn't sound any shakier than doing it exposed to me. Either way the beam has
to carry the load. And joist hangers are routinely used to fasten joists to beams.
There might already be joist hangers holding the two far ends of the joists in the
same way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It depends on whether there is any computed horizontal load (wall
bowing out).
If you are in a place with a wind code they understand all force is
not down.
Joist hangers have virtually zero side force retention. You only have
the extraction strength of the nails going into the beam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I call that a shear wall. A non-load-bearing wall that is a shear wall is just as critical, and vertical studs obviously don't transfer force horizontally unless they are well tied.