Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to lubricate this door hinge?

The fire-rated door from my house to the garage is squeaking like crazy for months. I was going to use graphite or oil to fix the squeak, and then realized that I don't if there's a pin to remove. Photos he
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...f-f5be5138d006
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...3-185febb2d4b8
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...9-68823e4ab88d

I'm not familiar with this hinge, it's name, or how to lubricate.
Many thanks for your advice.
Theodore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 19:40:17 -0800 (PST), Theodore
wrote:

The fire-rated door from my house to the garage is squeaking like crazy for months. I was going to use graphite or oil to fix the squeak, and then realized that I don't if there's a pin to remove. Photos he
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...f-f5be5138d006
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...3-185febb2d4b8
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...9-68823e4ab88d

I'm not familiar with this hinge, it's name, or how to lubricate.
Many thanks for your advice.
Theodore.

https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cate...-hinge/1044897

Try a few drops of sewing machine oil.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2021 10:40 PM, Theodore wrote:
The fire-rated door from my house to the garage is squeaking like crazy for months. I was going to use graphite or oil to fix the squeak, and then realized that I don't if there's a pin to remove. Photos he
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...f-f5be5138d006
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...3-185febb2d4b8
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...9-68823e4ab88d

I'm not familiar with this hinge, it's name, or how to lubricate.
Many thanks for your advice.
Theodore.

I'd try a few drops of oil on the top and see if it seeps down. You
could try 3 in 1 ir even a shot of WD40 if you have it. Try a little at
the joints too.

Won't take much to stop the squeak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Holycow! It's a self-closing hinge?! I never knew that. None of the pins were ever installed in it. Thank you all very much for the insight and the advice on how to stop the squeak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 21 Feb 2021 20:36:04 -0800 (PST), Theodore
wrote:

Holycow! It's a self-closing hinge?! I never knew that. None of the pins were ever installed in it. Thank you all very much for the insight and the advice on how to stop the squeak.

I guess it's needed oiling for quite some time!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Holycow! It's a self-closing hinge?! I never knew that.
None of the pins were ever installed in it.
Thank you all very much for the insight and the advice on how to stop the squeak.

I think it's a safety regulation ? to have the door between the
garage and living quarters installed with springed hinges -
- carbon monoxide donchya know.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2021 10:40 PM, Theodore wrote:
The fire-rated door from my house to the garage is squeaking like crazy for months. I was going to use graphite or oil to fix the squeak, and then realized that I don't if there's a pin to remove. Photos he
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...f-f5be5138d006
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...3-185febb2d4b8
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...9-68823e4ab88d

I'm not familiar with this hinge, it's name, or how to lubricate.
Many thanks for your advice.
Theodore.

Your original post says it's a new hinge. You also wrote there that the
other new hinge attached to the same door doesn't squeak. Last year I
had all 3 of mine replaced because after 30 years, the spring tension
was insufficient to fully close the door. However, neither the old ones
nor any of the new ones squeak. They shouldn't squeak. Your squeaking
hinge is defective. You're in for chronic, periodic squeaking even if
you succeed in eliminating the squeak at this time. I'd remove it,
return it, and insist on a free replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 10:30:45 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/21/2021 10:40 PM, Theodore wrote:
The fire-rated door from my house to the garage is squeaking like crazy for months. I was going to use graphite or oil to fix the squeak, and then realized that I don't if there's a pin to remove. Photos he
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...f-f5be5138d006
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...3-185febb2d4b8
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...9-68823e4ab88d

I'm not familiar with this hinge, it's name, or how to lubricate.
Many thanks for your advice.
Theodore.

I'd try a few drops of oil on the top and see if it seeps down. You
could try 3 in 1 ir even a shot of WD40 if you have it. Try a little at
the joints too.

Won't take much to stop the squeak.

Agreed. Either sewing machine oil or 3 in 1 at the top of the hinge should gradually fix the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 19:40:17 -0800 (PST), Theodore posted for all of us to
digest...

The fire-rated door from my house to the garage is squeaking like crazy for months. I was going to use graphite or oil to fix the squeak, and then realized that I don't if there's a pin to remove. Photos he
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...f-f5be5138d006
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...3-185febb2d4b8
https://app.photobucket.com/u/millin...9-68823e4ab88d

I'm not familiar with this hinge, it's name, or how to lubricate.
Many thanks for your advice.
Theodore.

How ya doing Arlen?

--