Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shovelling snow

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 20:25:37 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 04:02:11 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Feb 2021 18:29:11 -0500,
wrote:

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

The sub tropics are not for snowflakes you might melt
I am actually pretty used to it but you are actually better off with a
cotton shirt than not wearing one if you are in the sun. You might

eVERYONE Says that but it's not my experience, even in the sun.

sweat through it but then it becomes a cooler.
Being hot in the shade or inside might be helped by taking off clothes
but not outside in the sun.

I can tell you from experience, when it's 115C in the shade and over
50% humidity you don't go out without your shirt on - particularly in
the sun.

Were you ON the sun? 115C? (239F for you Americans)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 22:00:10 -0500, micky
wrote:

wrote:

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

The sub tropics are not for snowflakes you might melt
I am actually pretty used to it but you are actually better off with a
cotton shirt than not wearing one if you are in the sun. You might

eVERYONE Says that but it's not my experience, even in the sun.

Have you been in the sun that much? I am not talking about low on the
horizon sun, I mean where it is not tempered as much by the
atmosphere.

Yes, I've been in the midday sun in the middle of summer on a sunny day,
and I've been doing physical work there, and I like it better with my
shirt off than my shirt on.

I tend to trust people who live below the tropic of cancer

So don't trust me. I'm not telling you or anyone how to behave. I am
saying that for some people, my method works better. Surely you don't
think everyone is the same.

about working in the sun more than people closer to the arctic circle.
You seldom if ever see a Mexican or Guatemalan with his shirt off if
he is working. They must know something.

Or they're used to it, or conforming to cultural rules about modesty.

Or something about their ethnnic, genetic background makes them respond
differently from me. Anyhow, I'm not going to change my habits to go
by a second-hand report of what Mexicans and Guatemalans do.

You made me curious so I looked. My first search didn't bother to
specify working and some of the hits were about swimming:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/wh...hes-on-6586495
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Mexican...earing-clothes

If they wear clothes while swimming, I'm not going to feel prompted to
copy their style when dry.

Changing the search terms didn't work well, so I'm quitting.

Wear sunscreen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:41:20 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 04:57:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Thanks for that, like all these things, once you explain it its obvious what
you meant.

Sociopath tries to come across not as a sociopath ...but FAILS! Sorry,
Rodent, but your kind NEVER can hide what you are! BG

"That˘s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 06:01:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Are you hoping that you found another senile simpleton who doesn't see
what's the matter with you, sociopath? BG

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 15:51:38 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Feb 2021 02:29:32 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 19:36:39 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:29:52 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:01:24 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:

On the rare occasions I need to move snow , I much prefer to use my
yard tractor with the 48" blade on the front ...

Nice. Our yard tractor isn't quite powerful enough for that. We did the
math on buying a bigger tractor. I figured we'd just save the money
toward hiring it done when I get too feeble to use the snowblower. We'll
probably phase it in: do it myself for up to 6 inches and hire someone to
do it for anything deeper than that. Then after a while just sit in the
house and watch someone else do it all.

Not as much fun as hiring landscapers. The snow-removal guys have to
keep their shirts on.

If you need a specific behavior, just make it a business requirement. You
may have to pay a little extra.

Landscapers here are generally latino and they wear long pants and
long sleeve shirts. They understand keeping the sun off of you is
better than taking your shirt off. I guess living at real low
latitudes makes you smarter about the heat.

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

A friend of mine who did something in the construction or the design
area told me he was volunteering for Habitat for Humanity that was
rehabbing some houses on the west side of Baltimore. He wanted to help
but he also said he might make contacts and find work too.

So I said I wanted to volunteer too, and we met there and were assigned
to the same house (I think they were doing more than one, I forget), and
we were indoors ripping out old plumbing etc., nothing skilled, and I
lasted until about noon, and it was hot, and I was indoors, and I took
my shirt off. And soon after he called me aside and said it didn't
look good. He said it was "unproffessional". I said, "I'm not a
professional."

He thought because he'd brought me, I was making him look bad. So I
left.

So you ran when the going got tough... Better with a shirt on. As I'm sure
others will tell you.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 22:00:10 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

wrote:

[...]

That's because you were blocked from the sun by all the spy planes flying over
Baltimore. Do you live in the shadows?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 00:18:42 -0500, posted for all of us to
digest...

wrote:

[...]

Wear an armored vest and see what that feels like.

Or better yet, wear turnout gear.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

Sometimes it is difficult to put on the computer what I really mean to
say. Words out of order, slight mispelling or two words that are
pronounced the same but spelled different, commas in the wrong place,
and many other things can cause confusion.

I'm getting the same way. Some tips: Use your spell checker. Reread prior to
posting. Use a grammar checker such as Grammerly. I am a natural dufus so I
need a lot of help.

Spell checker is "grate". I admit my spelling is not very good.

Just look see at this.

SPELL CHECKER

I half a spell checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee mars four my revue,
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this pone rite threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished inn its weigh...
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing
It freeze ewe lodes of thyme.
It helps me right, awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen,
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours ore every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Be fore a veiling checkers,
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if were lacks or have a laps,
We wood be made to wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know faults with in my cite,
Of non eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped words fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud.
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloud.

Sew ewe can sea why eye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea sees.
And why I brake in two averse
By righting want too pleas.

author unknown
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:41:20 +1100, "Fred" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

The sub tropics are not for snowflakes you might melt
I am actually pretty used to it but you are actually better off with a
cotton shirt than not wearing one if you are in the sun. You might

eVERYONE Says that but it's not my experience, even in the sun.

sweat through it but then it becomes a cooler.
Being hot in the shade or inside might be helped by taking off clothes
but not outside in the sun.

I can tell you from experience, when it's 115C in
the shade and over 50% humidity you don't go
out without your shirt on - particularly in the sun.

Sorry - over 85%

I can tell you from experience that I did just that, repeatedly.

Presumably you 115C is a typo and you meant 115F.

Yes

I found a light cotton T shirt was "comfortable" but not
as good as a light loose fitting cotton shirt. that let the
air move. You stayed in the shade as much as possible,

It wasn't possible when I was building my house. There was no shade.

and tried to find a spot with a breeze. With high humidity

That's not high humidity.

sweating didn't help - and the only way you got any evaporation was
with a breeze. That late October 1973 afternoon at 115 in the shade
was a "cool comfortable" day compared to the 2 weeks before. (when
the RH was occaisionally actually over 100% - and yes, that IS
possible!!!)

Bull****.

The humidity is highly localized close to the falls -
a HUGE humidifier. The rains come in November

Look up supersaturated. Rare but possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:41:20 +1100, "Fred" wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Don't need to, I know what it means.

Rare but possible.

But isnt more than 100%

Neither is rain and mist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 21:36:15 -0500, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

wrote:

[...]

Isn't that what a pressure cooker does?

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nope. it just increases the pressure so it cooks at a higher temperature.

Shovelling cut grass John Rumm UK diy 14 April 7th 14 08:01 PM
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ! ! ! Ed Pawlowskio Home Repair 29 October 31st 11 04:27 AM
Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery? David Combs Home Repair 27 January 4th 10 09:05 AM
snow, and the sound of snow dougreed Electronics Repair 4 August 9th 06 03:42 AM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 07:41 AM