Old February 16th 21, 09:01 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default OT: The world's simplest electric train

Gremlin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

What is it one of them there kiddiees linear motor demo kits?

For those in the non uk.d-i-y groups, Brian is blind.

Itís a battery with a magnet on each end which
allows the battery to move in metal spiral.

Ideal for launching things that break ornaments.

Not in this case, it runs in the spiral and doesn't
go far if it comes out the end of the spiral. Goes
until the battery is flat if the spiral is in a loop.

I'm curious to know approx how long it would run in a level loop,

Until the battery is flat.

and the same calcs performed on a loop with a hill or two for it.

The battery will go flat quicker.

So that one could see how much additional energy
is consumed if it has to climb in any way.

I'd also want to know if the battery structure changes the runtime by
a significant amount. Various lithium based, aklaline, etc, versions.

Some go flat quicker than others.

Old February 16th 21, 09:05 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Gremlin wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

https://youtu.be/J9b0J29OzAU

That's cool. Thanks for the share. I'd be interested to know if you
can explain how you think it works, without cheating, that is.

Pretty simple really. The magnetic things on the ends of the
battery allows a circuit thru the metallic coil which allows a
current to flow thru the metallic coil which provides the force
to move the battery with its magnetic caps thru the coil.

Old February 16th 21, 10:22 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Gremlin wrote:
"Commander Kinsey"
news alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

https://youtu.be/J9b0J29OzAU

That's cool. Thanks for the share. I'd be interested to know if you can
explain how you think it works, without cheating, that is.

Pretty simple really. You look it up.

https://www.first4magnets.com/blog/h...using-magnets/

*******

The video is a bit deceiving, and to my eyes,
there's not much of a hint that the wire is
conducting. It does not look like shiny copper
wire, nor like tarnished copper wire. It's
"just a coil of something". There is no hint what
the material is. Why is that ? They've adjusted
the colour of the video (colour corrected to an unnatural
balance).

We live in a sad age. The age where we've forgotten
how to coat the outside of copper wire with nickel.
Using nickel, the contact properties of our coil
would be "excellent". If you use copper alone, it's
going to spark like a pig, or, the little train
will stop half way through the demo.

If it worked as stated, based on your experience
with copper conductors and electricity -- it should
throw sparks as the ends of the purported
projectile circulates. Yet we don't see any
sparks. Why is that ? A coil section that small,
there's going to be 500mA to an ampere of current
in the coil. There should be decent sparks.

When I was a kid, my uncle made me an electric
motor. Pieces of Iron wire in a bundle, was used for
cores. Enameled copper wire for the windings. The design
style is an "open frame", in other words, the worlds
most inefficient electric motor. It's a wonder these
rotate at all, but they do. (You sometimes have to
give them a flick with your finger, to get them running.)
More compact motors work much better, ones where the
magnetic pole pieces are continuously presented to one another.
There is "too much air" in these motors.

http://inventorartist.com/wp-content...GuyOrg-600.jpg

And the noteworthy part of the little motor,
was the sparks it would throw as the armature made
contact with the bared copper wires touching it. We
didn't use plates or springs or carbon brushes.
Just bared copper wire. You got a nice stream of
blue sparks as it rotated. And a bit of a sound effect.

Yet none of that is visible in the video, and
you have to wonder whether there is just a magnet
under the table and an accomplice.

If they wanted to impress us, their "table" should
have been a perspex sheet.

*******

When the copper coil has the ends touched together,
the battery and magnets continue past that section.
That can only happen, if the copper makes *excellent*
contact, between the two ends of the coil. Normally,
you would need to solder a copper coil ends like that
together, so the projectile would go round and round.
Yet, the demonstrator has no trouble at all, getting
his protege to jump the gap. He is able to hold
the ends of the copper wires together well enough,
so it can handle a relatively high current.

Their copper wire is "amazing". Never an ohmic moment.
I bid 300 quatloos for the copper wire used...

I would also like to know how they adjusted the
colour in the video, to suppress blue sparks. Was the
camera fitted with a filter, or were the sparks
removed in post ?

Paul
Old February 16th 21, 10:25 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 19:01:55 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the miserable senile troll's latest troll****

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Old February 16th 21, 10:26 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 06:57:08 -0000 (UTC), Gremlin, another mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

That's cool. Thanks for the share. I'd be interested to know if you can
explain how you think it works, without cheating, that is.

It would be more interesting to see how long it will take you until you find
out what that sociopathic attention whore is about! BG

Old February 16th 21, 08:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 04:22:24 -0500, Paul
wrote:

Gremlin wrote:
[...]

It's bare copper wire and you don't see sparks becare of several
reasons. 1 is low voltage 2 is low current and 3 is there is never a
complete break of the circuit untill the projectile leaves the coil.

As the current flows through the coil it magnetizes - and with the
magnets installed with the right polarity the back magnet is attracted
to the magnetic field of the coil while the front one is repelled.
Notice how inside the coil it moves much faster - because the magnetic
field inside the coil is more concentrated than it is with the
projectile rifing on top of the 2 coils.

Also nickel coating would increase the resistance - SILVER plating
would reduce the resistance (but either would be pretty negligible in
effect) The magnets ARE nickel coated.

More on the absence of sparts - the magnet running against the coil
forms a basic "make before break" switch A "make before break" switch
NEVER switches current under load - so it never sparks. Asthe magnet
moves forward it is still connected to several windings of the coil as
it connects to the next one - so the voltage difference between the
coil it is connected to and the one it is connecting to is virtually
zero - and as it moves on to "break" the current the same is true.

As for the conductivity of the wire/magnet interface I have some
stuff that could reduce the resistance to nextto nothing. I doubt they
were using it (at over $200 an ounce) - it is called stabilant 22 -
google it - the stuff is FANTASTIC.

Old February 17th 21, 01:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 19:51:01 -0000, Clare Snyder wrote:

As for the conductivity of the wire/magnet interface I have some
stuff that could reduce the resistance to nextto nothing. I doubt they
were using it (at over $200 an ounce) - it is called stabilant 22 -
google it - the stuff is FANTASTIC.

How does that work?
https://www.sibert.co.uk/products/st...ntact-enhancer
"selectively switches-on between the mating surfaces of each of the individual contacts, staying non-conductive between adjacent contacts"
Are they saying you put it on the commutator of a motor and it conducts from brush to commutator but not commutator to next contact of commutator? How does it know?

I think this
https://www.posthorn.com/Stab_2.html
indicates that it conducts very well when it's thin, but insulates when thicker. So it improves a contact which was touching or supposed to be touching, but doesn't conduct a long way away, like to the next contact. Clever that stuff. Could it be described as intelligent? And how does it do it?

Do they use it in a lot of equipment? Sounds like it would be perfect in motors. Could I put some in my power drill that sparks a lot?

Where do I buy some in the UK? Ebay doesn't have any, Amazon is out of stock until further notice, Google shopping gives no results.
Old February 18th 21, 06:02 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed"
Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:01:55 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

Gremlin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

What is it one of them there kiddiees linear motor demo kits?

For those in the non uk.d-i-y groups, Brian is blind.

Itís a battery with a magnet on each end which
allows the battery to move in metal spiral.

Ideal for launching things that break ornaments.

Not in this case, it runs in the spiral and doesn't
go far if it comes out the end of the spiral. Goes
until the battery is flat if the spiral is in a loop.

I'm curious to know approx how long it would run in a level loop,

Until the battery is flat.

How perceptive of you.

and the same calcs performed on a loop with a hill or two for it.

The battery will go flat quicker.

Again, very perceptive of you.

So that one could see how much additional energy
is consumed if it has to climb in any way.

I'd also want to know if the battery structure changes the runtime by
a significant amount. Various lithium based, aklaline, etc, versions.

Some go flat quicker than others.

Your scientific method is interesting, to say the least.

--
Normality will be restored as soon as we're sure what it is, anyway.
Old February 18th 21, 06:02 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed"
Tue, 16 Feb 2021 07:57:49 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

Gremlin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

https://youtu.be/J9b0J29OzAU

Trying to think of how to use that around the
house, and not just to keep the cat amused.

That particular prototype isn't making much
usable energy for anything practical...

The only one talking about making useable energy is you.

You were trying to think of how to use it around the house, for something
more than cat amusement. Energy has more than one form, so even though you
probably slept thru your science classes and didn't realize it, it would
require some form of energy to do what you were thinking about. So, I'm not
the only one talking about energy here, you were as well; even though you
clearly, heh, didn't know it.

--
'The Wheel of Morality adds educational value....'--Yakko
Old February 18th 21, 06:02 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed"
Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:05:30 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

Gremlin wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

https://youtu.be/J9b0J29OzAU

That's cool. Thanks for the share. I'd be interested to know if you
can explain how you think it works, without cheating, that is.

Pretty simple really.

Ayep. I didn't realize you were going to post on behalf of Commander Kinsey
though. Any particular reason you felt the need to do that?

The magnetic things on the ends of the
battery allows a circuit thru the metallic coil which allows a
current to flow thru the metallic coil which provides the force
to move the battery with its magnetic caps thru the coil.

The magnetic things? rofl, k...

--
An acceptable level of unemployment means that the government economist to
whom it is acceptable still has a job