DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   the hiiden lives of mole rats (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/684597-hiiden-lives-mole-rats.html)

micky January 29th 21 01:13 AM

the hiiden lives of mole rats

Friend or Foe? Naked Mole Rats Can Tell By A Unique Squeak

What sounds like a large study found that different colonies had
different "languages". They are almost blind and live in underground
colonies and when one bumps into another in a tunnel, which is frequent,
they make a particular bird-like squeak, and it turns out that different
colonies make different sounds then.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-unique-squeak

Making the wrong sound makes the other one an alien and they will
fight.... Interrupted for dinner and I don't remember the other
interesting things. The text has parts I don't remember from the
audio, but wthout the audio you can't hear what they sound like.

Each colony has a queen and when she dies there is chaos until another
queen is established. The researchers thought she ruled the place,
another example of SWMBO.

A lot more info about them.
https://www.google.com/search?client...naked+mole+rat