Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heater boiler problem

There were several repairs done on the heating boilers (not water heaters) in this building, about two months ago. I had a new T&P (temperature and pressure relief valve?) installed, at their suggestion. (Cost: $294.)

So, now, when I decided to turn on the heat (I have a high tolerance for cold), I can't light the pilot at all. This has NEVER happened, in 20-plus years. In the past, I only had trouble, twice, getting the pilot light to STAY on. The first time, I just waited 12 hours or so before trying again, and the second time (a later year), a worker came out and fixed some wires.

THIS time, I didn't even hear the hiss of gas, when I depressed the pilot button.

More than one source says the problem is likely the thermocouple - too much dust, maybe. I've seen pictures of different kinds, so I will check. Any other theories?

The big question is, if dusting it doesn't help, can I get the same company I mentioned to fix the problem for free, since I suspect they caused it? What other proof would I need?

Thank you.

Lenona.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 1:29:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

It's not the thermocouple. When you press the gas valve to light the pilot, it bypasses
the thermocouple. The TC is there to cut off the pilot gas if the thermocouple goes
cold, ie the pilot flame went out. That symptom would be the pilot going out randomly
after it's lit or going out as soon as you release the valve button. Are you sure you have the
gas valve in the proper position? I doubt you're going to get them to fix it for free,
as they are going to say it was working when they left and changing the TP relief valve
would have nothing to do with this.

Could be:

Gas shut off, not getting to boiler
Pilot opening blocked by dirt or insect
Debris in gas valve.
Gas line failed/clogged, if it goes underground, I've seen them fail, fill with water,
but that is rare.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 2:12:56 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

Is the gas valve on the pipe to the boiler turned on? If this is the
only gas appliance, is the outside gas valve turned on?

Well, it's not the only appliance. My gas stove works fine.

There are multiple wheels on the boiler, so I'll have take a closer look for clues. (Is there any other "switch" to look for, besides the electrical one, which is supposed to stay off until the pilot light is lit?)

Btw, it's a condo. The room with all the boilers is in the basement, shut off from the laundry room. It's always toasty in there, despite the vents to the outside.

And, to trader_4, yes, I had the button in the right position - the directions are printed on the boiler, so I wouldn't have turned the arrow to "on" until after I'd used the pilot position successfully.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I should also mention the boiler is 30 years old or so, but as I said, it very seldom gives me trouble.

There are four old-looking wheels, four switches, and three pipes, from what I could see. NONE of the wheels has any indicators. The front pipe has two wheels. The next one - a skinny one in the back that connects to a horizontal one that runs maybe the whole length of the room - has one wheel and two small, rectangular metal switches that look like tiny levers. The third pipe, in the back, is thick and connects to another horizontal pipe, well over my head. That horizontal pipe has one wheel and two switches - one is an old one that is oval and looks like the head of a key. The other is rectangular and is on the newish hydronic expansion tank.

I also tried comparing the positions of those four switches to the ones on the other 15 or so boilers in the room. Trouble is, many of them seem to be in multiple positions. (I doubt anyone else here would have chosen to keep the heat off until now.) Some are in the same positions mine are.

I suppose I could send a photo to one of the contractors who came here and ask if one of the switches should be turned. Obviously, if they forgot to turn a valve back on during the fall inspection, I wouldn't want to pay them to come back and do three seconds of work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2021 2:37 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 1/24/2021 1:11 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 2:12:56 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

Is the gas valve on the pipe to the boiler turned on? If this is the
only gas appliance, is the outside gas valve turned on?

Well, it's not the only appliance. My gas stove works fine.

There are multiple wheels on the boiler, so I'll have take a closer
look for clues. (Is there any other "switch" to look for, besides the
electrical one, which is supposed to stay off until the pilot light is
lit?)

Btw, it's a condo. The room with all the boilers is in the basement,
shut off from the laundry room. It's always toasty in there, despite
the vents to the outside.

And, to trader_4, yes, I had the button in the right position - the
directions are printed on the boiler, so I wouldn't have turned the
arrow to "on" until after I'd used the pilot position successfully.

If you would normally hear gas flow when lighting the pilot, and you do
not now, that would suggest the gas valve on the gas pipe might be
turned off. Maybe someone decided not to feed the pilot light all
summer. There should be an obvious red or yellow handled valve on a
black iron pipe near where the pipe goes into the burner. If that valve
handle points 90 degrees to the direction of the pipe, it is probably off.

The pipe you want to check can be traced from the gas valve that
controls the gas inside the boiler, out of the boiler to the shutoff
just outside the boiler.

You can also follow the pipe from the gas meter to the boiler, the valve
will be on that pipe just before the boiler. It will likely go to a "T"
before the boiler, which has a closed stub on the downward part of the
"T" to catch crud that otherwise might go in a plug the burner jet, and
the center of the "T" goes to the boiler.

You also could have a completely plugged orifice on the pilot light supply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Things are getting weirder by the minute...

Thanks to you, I found what looks like a fifth switch, just two feet or so above the floor, on a horizontal pipe that runs directly in. It's tiny, old, metallic and dusty (not colored). It's also set perpendicular to the pipe.. (All the other boilers have that tiny switch set parallel to the pipe.)

Trouble is, strong as I am, I can't budge it with my fingers. It's not even quite clear whether it's SUPPOSED to be movable, so I'm not going to risk breaking it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 5:38:04 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
Maybe someone decided not to feed the pilot light all
summer.

No, that wouldn't be it. I do turn off the pilot light in March, according to the printed directions, but I never touch any valves, since they don't come with directions. I'm the only one who handles the boiler aside from the inspection crew; they only come in the fall, and while they sometimes turn on the pilot light and leave it on, they have never turned valves off before now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2021 3:08 PM, wrote:
Things are getting weirder by the minute...

Thanks to you, I found what looks like a fifth switch, just two feet or so above the floor, on a horizontal pipe that runs directly in. It's tiny, old, metallic and dusty (not colored). It's also set perpendicular to the pipe. (All the other boilers have that tiny switch set parallel to the pipe.)

Trouble is, strong as I am, I can't budge it with my fingers. It's not even quite clear whether it's SUPPOSED to be movable, so I'm not going to risk breaking it.

Does that pipe go to the burner control gas valve (with the pilot button
on it probably)? If so, that is probably what you need to open. By the
way, it is a valve, not a switch. Switches generally control electricity.

How big is "tiny"? If it is a relief valve (temperature /pressure
generally) you don't want to mess with it. These generally have a fairly
light sheet metal "trigger" to "test them" but you really don't want to
mess with them. If what you see has a fairly strong handle, likely cast
brass that looks designed to turn, it should be a valve, and if it is on
the gas pipe as described above, it should turn.

Old gas valves can become very stiff do to old lubricant. Look at it
carefully to see which way it has to be turned. There should be visible
stops on the valve body or valve handle that allows it to be turned only
90 degrees, so you have to turn it the correct way. Applying some extra
pressure pressure by using pliers should not hurt it if you make sure
you are moving it the correct way. If you get it to start moving, you
are probably on the way. If it doesn't turn without large force, it
might be time to call the repair and let him talk you through it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 6:36:33 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 1/24/ what looks like a fifth swi it.

Does that pipe go to the burner control gas valve (with the pilot button
on it probably)?

Yes, it does. So we're getting somewhere.

How big is "tiny"?

3/4" long, 1/2" high.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2021 5:47 PM, Lenona wrote:
On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 6:36:33 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 1/24/ what looks like a fifth swi it.

Does that pipe go to the burner control gas valve (with the pilot button
on it probably)?

Yes, it does. So we're getting somewhere.

How big is "tiny"?

3/4" long, 1/2" high.

Is it a flat metal handle maybe a little over 1/8" thick and that 1/2"
high. If so, it should be turn-able with pliers or a crescent
wrench
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 9:01:02 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 1/24/2021 5:47 PM, Lenona wrote:
On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 6:36:33 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 1/24/ what looks like a fifth swi it.

Does that pipe go to the burner control gas valve (with the pilot button
on it probably)?

Yes, it does. So we're getting somewhere.

How big is "tiny"?

3/4" long, 1/2" high.

Is it a flat metal handle maybe a little over 1/8" thick and that 1/2"
high. If so, it should be turn-able with pliers or a crescent
wrench

Yes, it's about that thick. I'll try tomorrow morning - it's late. Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 6:08:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Things are getting weirder by the minute...

Thanks to you, I found what looks like a fifth switch, just two feet or so above the floor, on a horizontal pipe that runs directly in. It's tiny, old, metallic and dusty (not colored). It's also set perpendicular to the pipe. (All the other boilers have that tiny switch set parallel to the pipe.)

Trouble is, strong as I am, I can't budge it with my fingers. It's not even quite clear whether it's SUPPOSED to be movable, so I'm not going to risk breaking it.

Again, it's not a switch thing. The only thing needed for the pilot light to have gas going
out of it is a supply of gas, pushing the gas valve knob with it in the pilot lighting position
and a pilot light tube that is not clogged with a insect, debris, etc. It does not require
anything to do with electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2021 5:35 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

She uses the word "switch" for valves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 9:20:23 AM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
[...]

I missed that. In which case it's time she called a pro before something bad happens.
Though from that last post it sounds like she might have found the gas valve for the
boiler and it's off. But the description of it being "tiny" doesn't fit and you would think
that if was turned off by the service guys recently it would not be dusty, but who knows.
If it is off, it's very likely done intentionally, either by the service guy so he'd get a call
back or someone else. I don't see how a service visit on a boiler winds up ending with
the gas valve off. You'd have it on to test it and you'd have it on until it's running normally,
etc. No reason to turn it off after that, unless it's to save a buck on gas for the pilot
over the summer. Seems odd that a service guy would do that though, unless he's
aiming for a call back. Another thing, this appears to be a multi-family building,
is she the only person involved with this boiler? Maybe somebody else disconnected
a gas pipe and that's why the valve is turned off. Who knows. I suppose she could
post some pics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2021 6:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

What she described sounds exactly like the oldest gas valves I have
seen. Why it is off is certainly a good question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 11:45:35 AM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
[...]

A gas valve on a boiler feed is "tiny"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/21 12:19 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Could it be like one of these in Google Images ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+gas+valve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

This style perhaps.
http://www.allstrong.com/57-gas-shut-off-valve.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 1:37:37 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

Did you get it working?

Yes, thank you! I found my pliers - and they were definitely needed. I'd say the knob is between 1/4" and 1/2" thick. I still had to wait a while before I could light the pilot, but once I did, It wasn't long before my room was comfortable again. (I keep the thermostat at 60 F, typically, or even lower.)

Guess what else? The electric switch was on as well, when I went down the first time. Of course, as the directions say, it should be off when the pilot light is off. (I'll definitely be checking what things look like, before and after inspections, from now on!)

Lenona.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 12:32:01 PM UTC-5, "\"Re wrote:

Could it be like one of these in Google Images ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+gas+valve

It's similar to the one in the second photo, here.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...ut-off-the-gas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Btw, here's a tip that I suspect is important. If you have plants that can't be kept well away from the baseboard heaters, be sure to vacuum out the dead leaves, regularly! I did that before I went to turn on the pilot. Luckily for me, the leaves (from an umbrella plant) are large enough to be seen easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2021 7:49 AM, Lenona wrote:
On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 12:32:01 PM UTC-5, "\"Re wrote:

Could it be like one of these in Google Images ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+gas+valve

It's similar to the one in the second photo, here.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...ut-off-the-gas

That's a standard old gas valve. In the closed (no gas) position. My
concern with just turning it on is why was it off. If you or someone
else in the house did not turn it off, that suggests a service person
did. You could at least call the people that did the most recent work on
it to see if there was a problem you might not remember.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2021 8:07 AM, Lenona wrote:
Btw, here's a tip that I suspect is important. If you have plants that can't be kept well away from the baseboard heaters, be sure to vacuum out the dead leaves, regularly! I did that before I went to turn on the pilot. Luckily for me, the leaves (from an umbrella plant) are large enough to be seen easily.

I was glad to help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 1:54:53 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

That's a standard old gas valve. In the closed (no gas) position. My
concern with just turning it on is why was it off. If you or someone
else in the house did not turn it off, that suggests a service person
did. You could at least call the people that did the most recent work on
it to see if there was a problem you might not remember.

I emailed the office manager at that company on the 25th. Here's what she and I said to each other:

OM: "Just looked though the notes from the tech that serviced and this was the way he found the unit during service so it left it that way. Also just so you are aware it is not recommended that this valve be shut off in the future."

Me: "Was that during the T&P replacement, or the previous (annual) inspection, or both? Just checking. (I never touch the valves, since they don't come with printed instructions, unlike the pilot light...)"

OM: "Both."

(end)

Now THAT'S weird.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2021 2:09 PM, Lenona wrote:
[...]

I take it you are not a frequent user of the heat at all. You now know
at least a little more about using your system, which is always good.

tankless water heater vs. small water heater. Spider Home Repair 7 October 14th 14 01:03 AM
Hydronic elecric baseboard heater vs standard electric baseboard heater John Sevinsky Home Repair 7 March 5th 14 01:13 AM
Old boiler to New boiler and water heater New & Improved - N/F John Home Repair 4 March 11th 08 03:40 AM
SPA -- replacing a 120V heater with 240V heater Ignoramus31846 Home Repair 7 June 9th 06 05:14 AM
water heater vs. water heater JerseyMike Home Repair 32 January 10th 05 07:45 PM