Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging Solar Sensor Lights

Thought I'd pass this on after reading Trader's post about his wired lights.
A few months ago I installed 4 of these lights:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2F2WFB...roduct_details

Didn't really think it through, because I've got 18" eaves that would block the solar
collectors from the sunlight. I had to hang them on the gutters. Too late to return them,
and I didn't want to throw away 80 bucks. After looking around in vain for some kind of
connector that would attach them to the gutter, I came up with this idea.
I cut 4 8" pieces of 3" PVC pipe, then cut a lengthwise slit in each one. Used an angle
grinder with a cuttoff disk. My son went on the ladder and somehow spread the pipe and got
it past the formed gutter lip. He was cussing. I noted the position of the slit - about
7:30 o'clock when looking from the left. Then I screwed the base of the lights on the
pipes at 3 o'clock using the wall plugs that came with them. I tried cutting some wedges
to spread the pipes but gave that up, and used 3" C-clamps to pry them open instead.
He didn't have any problems putting them on. You can slide the pipes until you hit a
gutter hanger, making for some adjustability. They don't look elegant, but they work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Thought I'd pass this on after reading Trader's post about his wired lights.
A few months ago I installed 4 of these lights:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2F2WFB...roduct_details

Do they put out very much light ?

A while back I bought some that looked like a regular 60 watt light bulb
and after a good solar charge for a day or two they do not put out very
much light. Just like a good night ligt instead of enough light to see
very much.

I am having a carport type garage built and it is about 100 feet away
from the house. I had not planned on runing any electricity to it.
Thought those lights may be enough to see inside it at night,but almost
would need a flashlight to see if they are on or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 17:46:55 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article ,
says...

Thought I'd pass this on after reading Trader's post about his wired lights.
A few months ago I installed 4 of these lights:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2F2WFB...roduct_details

Do they put out very much light ?

Plenty for walking and not tripping on something. There's some photos in the reviews.

A while back I bought some that looked like a regular 60 watt light bulb
and after a good solar charge for a day or two they do not put out very
much light. Just like a good night ligt instead of enough light to see
very much.

I am having a carport type garage built and it is about 100 feet away
from the house. I had not planned on runing any electricity to it.
Thought those lights may be enough to see inside it at night,but almost
would need a flashlight to see if they are on or not.

The lights above would do it if they were made for inside.
They cast light about 30'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 30 Dec 2020 17:46:55 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Thought I'd pass this on after reading Trader's post about his wired lights.
A few months ago I installed 4 of these lights:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2F2WFB...roduct_details

Do they put out very much light ?

A while back I bought some that looked like a regular 60 watt light bulb
and after a good solar charge for a day or two they do not put out very

Is another problem that the built-in battery will wear out and there is
no provision for replacing it.

If lights are on all night and charge every day, that's a lot of wear on
the battery. If he lights are only one when there is motion, not so
much.

much light. Just like a good night ligt instead of enough light to see
very much.

I am having a carport type garage built and it is about 100 feet away
from the house. I had not planned on runing any electricity to it.
Thought those lights may be enough to see inside it at night,but almost
would need a flashlight to see if they are on or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 16:04:57 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

[...]

No table saw huh?
Why not cut two slits and take out a big enough chunk that it drops
over the gutter lip? If it moves too much shoot a screen cage screw
down through a hole in top and into the lip.

I make lots of stuff out of PVC. The White PVC will last longer than
the light, in spite of the legend but I do use gray if it is supposed
to last.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I had thought of 4" PVC to make my light fixture interposer, but the obvious problem is
mounting it. I guess maybe I could rig up something with long screws going into either
the metal box or the plywood soffit. But first I want to rule out off the shelf simple
solutions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No. Could have made the cuts with my 10" compound mitre saw, but I wanted a thin kerf.
It was surprisingly easy to use the angle grinder on the line I drew on the pipe. Lightly
clamped the pieces in the vise.

Why not cut two slits and take out a big enough chunk that it drops
over the gutter lip? If it moves too much shoot a screen cage screw
down through a hole in top and into the lip.

Thought of that, but wanted to avoid holes in the gutter, though it wouldn't have mattered
on the formed lip. Took me a while to figure out the C-clamp trick of spreading.
But on second thought the PVC might not have moved with a wider slit anyway, given the
thickness of the pipe and that the lights aren't too heavy. It was cold outside and I
didn't feel like experimenting.

I make lots of stuff out of PVC. The White PVC will last longer than
the light, in spite of the legend but I do use gray if it is supposed
to last.

Yeah, it's nice stuff. I had 7' of the 3" left over from "squirrel proofing" the bird
feeder. But they can easily climb 3", so I had to add a wide plastic tray at the top.
Hot glued it to PVC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Squirrels are tough to keep away from food. They learn pretty fast.
There is a youtube of a guy who gave up fighting them and decided to
just see what they could do. He created a very complex obstacle course
with trap doors and even a catapult that sent them sailing but they
still figured it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 8:00:37 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 30 Dec 2020 17:46:55 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Thought I'd pass this on after reading Trader's post about his wired lights.
A few months ago I installed 4 of these lights:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2F2WFB...roduct_details

Do they put out very much light ?

A while back I bought some that looked like a regular 60 watt light bulb
and after a good solar charge for a day or two they do not put out very

Is another problem that the built-in battery will wear out and there is
no provision for replacing it.

If lights are on all night and charge every day, that's a lot of wear on
the battery. If he lights are only one when there is motion, not so
much.

As I look online, I see that wind powered L.E.D. lights start at only $2.96 USD and solar start at $12.95 USD.