DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Do I need a sewer vent pipe for an additional new bathroom? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/683197-do-i-need-sewer-vent-pipe-additional-new-bathroom.html)

Deguza[_3_] December 14th 20 11:46 PM

Do I need a sewer vent pipe for an additional new bathroom?

Hello all,

I am planning to add a bathroom to a bedroom. The new one will be about 20 ft or so away from the existing one.

I am in San Jose CA.

Would I need a vent pipe for this new bathroom?

Thanks!

Deguza

[email protected] December 15th 20 12:48 AM

Do I need a sewer vent pipe for an additional new bathroom?

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:46:46 -0800 (PST), Deguza
wrote:

Hello all,
I am planning to add a bathroom to a bedroom.
The new one will be about 20 ft or so away from the existing one.
I am in San Jose CA.
Would I need a vent pipe for this new bathroom?
Thanks!
Deguza

Here ya go :

https://www.sanjoseca.gov/your-gover...lding-division

Building Information Inspector - For questions regarding building
permits, codes, inspections or plan review, leave us a message and
we'll respond within two business days:

Email:
Voicemail: 408-535-7641

John T.

Frank[_24_] December 15th 20 12:49 AM

wrote:

Hello all,
I am planning to add a bathroom to a bedroom.
The new one will be about 20 ft or so away from the existing one.
I am in San Jose CA.
Would I need a vent pipe for this new bathroom?
Thanks!
Deguza

Here ya go :

https://www.sanjoseca.gov/your-gover...lding-division

Building Information Inspector - For questions regarding building
permits, codes, inspections or plan review, leave us a message and
we'll respond within two business days:

Email:
Voicemail: 408-535-7641

John T.

Curious and googled this:

http://epubs.iapmo.org/2019/CPC/index.html#p=50

Maybe a bitch to go through.

I know I could find our county's codes on line but took a bit of trying.

[email protected] December 15th 20 01:41 AM

wrote:

Hello all,

I am planning to add a bathroom to a bedroom. The new one will be about 20 ft or so away from the existing one.

I am in San Jose CA.

Would I need a vent pipe for this new bathroom?

Thanks!

Deguza

Short answer, Yes.
Venting can get pretty complicated but a general rule is if the fall
of the drain pipe is more than the diameter of the pipe you need a
vent. Basically you need a way to break the vacuum created when water
flows through the drain pipe. They do make a studor vent, essentially
a check valve that breaks the vacuum but some building departments
hate them. I don't think you can use them on a toilet at all.
The real answer comes from the building department but I bet they will
want to see a vent typically on the stack from the sink.

trader_4 December 15th 20 07:24 PM

wrote:
Hello all,

I am planning to add a bathroom to a bedroom. The new one will be about 20 ft or so away from the existing one.

I am in San Jose CA.

Would I need a vent pipe for this new bathroom?

Thanks!

Deguza

Short answer, Yes.
Venting can get pretty complicated but a general rule is if the fall
of the drain pipe is more than the diameter of the pipe you need a
vent. Basically you need a way to break the vacuum created when water
flows through the drain pipe. They do make a studor vent, essentially
a check valve that breaks the vacuum but some building departments
hate them. I don't think you can use them on a toilet at all.
The real answer comes from the building department but I bet they will
want to see a vent typically on the stack from the sink.

+1

If the new bath is on the top story or if it's single story, an additional vent is no big deal.
If not, I think there are other alternatives, like a widget that acts as a one way air admittance
valve. Whether you can use one of those for a whole bathroom though, IDK.

HusTler December 15th 20 10:23 PM

Do I need a sewer vent pipe for an additional new bathroom?

To: trader_4
Do I need a sewer vent pipe for an additional new bathroom?
By: trader_4 to alt.home.repair on Tue Dec 15 2020 11:24 am

I am planning to add a bathroom to a bedroom. The new one will be
about 20 ft or so away from the existing one.

Would I need a vent pipe for this new bathroom?

Yes
--- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
* Havens BBS - Queens, Ny - telnet://havens.synchronetbbs.org

Deguza[_3_] December 16th 20 06:32 PM

wrote:
Hello all,
I am planning to add a bathroom to a bedroom.
The new one will be about 20 ft or so away from the existing one.
I am in San Jose CA.
Would I need a vent pipe for this new bathroom?
Thanks!
Deguza

Here ya go :

https://www.sanjoseca.gov/your-gover...lding-division

Building Information Inspector - For questions regarding building
permits, codes, inspections or plan review, leave us a message and
we'll respond within two business days:

Email:
Voicemail: 408-535-7641

John T.