DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Why did the top layer come off the steps? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/683192-why-did-top-layer-come-off-steps.html)

micky December 14th 20 08:45 PM

Why did the top layer come off the steps?

Why did the top layer come off the steps?

My next door neighbor's house is built into the rear of a hill, so the
back opens up at ground level and the front is one story up, with cement
or concrete? steps.

They needed repair and looked quite smooth after the rapair was done,
but within a feew years the top layer chipped off.

His son tells me it's because they used salt on it before they should
have. Right?

OTOH, it's the risers too, not just the horizontal parts.

Would salt have damaged the risers?

I had assumed he hired someone who didn't know how to do a good job.
??

It actually looks better this way. It was too smooth, imo, but now with
the rounded rocks that are showing now, it looks like some medieval
castle's steps.

[email protected] December 14th 20 08:50 PM

On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 3:45:38 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
Why did the top layer come off the steps?

My next door neighbor's house is built into the rear of a hill, so the
back opens up at ground level and the front is one story up, with cement
or concrete? steps.

They needed repair and looked quite smooth after the rapair was done,
but within a feew years the top layer chipped off.

His son tells me it's because they used salt on it before they should
have. Right?

OTOH, it's the risers too, not just the horizontal parts.

Would salt have damaged the risers?

I had assumed he hired someone who didn't know how to do a good job.
??

It actually looks better this way. It was too smooth, imo, but now with
the rounded rocks that are showing now, it looks like some medieval
castle's steps.

What was the weather like the day the concrete was poured?
If it's hot and dry, the top layer can dry before it cures and spalling
can ensue.

Cindy Hamilton

micky December 15th 20 01:04 AM

Why did the top layer come off the steps?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 14 Dec 2020 12:50:52 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

[...]

It's not hot AND dry here very often, but I don't know what it was that
day. Maybe.

Cindy Hamilton

[email protected] December 15th 20 01:55 AM

wrote:

[...]

Give that lady a cigar.
That is the most common reason for spalling.