Jeremy

Default new home problems

We recently moved into our home in May, Since then we have come accross
some minor issues.

For example. Front door does not seal completely.
Garage service door does seal at the bottom.
Window doesn't open smoothly. Several like this.
Holes in drywall near the stairs.
Window pane fogs up after rain.

My question is am I being a pest calling in these right now or should a wait
a while to gather some up. One important note. I realize in some states
builders build the house. In Arizona we have different trades working
"with" the builder to build a house. I have been calling them 2 or 3 at a
time but it's becoming a pain to take off work to be here at my house when
they do the work.

Brigitte

"Jeremy" wrote in message
We recently moved into our home in May, Since then we have come accross
some minor issues.

For example. Front door does not seal completely.
Garage service door does seal at the bottom.
Window doesn't open smoothly. Several like this.
Holes in drywall near the stairs.
Window pane fogs up after rain.

My question is am I being a pest calling in these right now or should a

wait
a while to gather some up. One important note. I realize in some states
builders build the house. In Arizona we have different trades working
"with" the builder to build a house. I have been calling them 2 or 3 at a
time but it's becoming a pain to take off work to be here at my house when
they do the work.

I'd call and get them resolved as they appear. If they are anything like
the builder that built the home I purchased back in 1983, they'll stall and
stall and your warrantee will be up. A good builder would have fixed the
problems, since they'd been reported before the expiration, but it just
wasn't worth it to us to hassle over it, so we learned to live with the
problems, albeit they weren't big, costly problems.

HTH,
Brigitte

SQLit

"Jeremy" wrote in message
We recently moved into our home in May, Since then we have come accross
some minor issues.

For example. Front door does not seal completely.
Garage service door does seal at the bottom.
Window doesn't open smoothly. Several like this.
Holes in drywall near the stairs.
Window pane fogs up after rain.

My question is am I being a pest calling in these right now or should a

wait
a while to gather some up. One important note. I realize in some states
builders build the house. In Arizona we have different trades working
"with" the builder to build a house. I have been calling them 2 or 3 at a
time but it's becoming a pain to take off work to be here at my house when
they do the work.

KB?

Call each time and bug the crap out of them. It is your loss and their gain.
Document document document, pictures in case of an law suit.

Sounds like the home I gave back to KB in February in Phoenix.

---

Jim

Our builder has a warranty policy where we report problems at 2 months
and then after 1 year (barring emergencies like water gushing or
structural collapse). This is done in writing and we get a copy. On
our 60-day form, I included pictures.

It took two months, and copious calls, to get the things repaired.
Luckily, mostly minor stuff like a buckled drip rail, weak HVAC system,
front porch post painting and an unfinished flashing job on the chimney.

All of these were subcontracted, but the builder took the responsibility
to get it done (are they "legally" responsible? I would think so.)
After the sixth or seventh call for the flashing, the builder told me he
would withhold payment to the roofing subcontractor unless it was fixed
(and it was shortly afterwards :+).

Definitely get everything in writing. Keep a copy and send it certified
if you must, or drop it off and have someone at the desk sign to
acknowledge the complaints.

As for the window pane, that may be warrantied by the window company.
It may also be a code violation (as it is here in PA, at least for a CO).

Good luck,
Jim