Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dimmable LED electronics

I need to buy one BA15D to replace a burned out Halogen 120V 75W garage
stair light that is attached to the side wall.

It doesn't need to be brightly lit as it's a short set of open steps and
it's not on a dimmer so I don't care about the wattage all that much.

But I was told by someone dimmable LEDs are more robust than non dimmable
LEDs.

Amazon has three kinds of 12V BA15D LEDs with respect to dimmability
[1] some don't say if they are dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/BA15D-Bayonet.../dp/B07GKCC76Q
[2] some say they're not dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/BA15D-AC100V-.../dp/B07RFFZ914
[3] some say they are dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/Equivalent-40.../dp/B08DP6CWNS

What makes an LED dimmable anyway? Is it just advertising hype?
Or does the electronics have something special I can actually see inside?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/20 2:16 PM, james wrote:
I need to buy one BA15D to replace a burned out Halogen 120V 75W garage
stair light that is attached to the side wall.

It doesn't need to be brightly lit as it's a short set of open steps and
it's not on a dimmer so I don't care about the wattage all that much.

But I was told by someone dimmable LEDs are more robust than non dimmable
LEDs.

Amazon has three kinds of 12V BA15D LEDs with respect to dimmability
[1] some don't say if they are dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/BA15D-Bayonet.../dp/B07GKCC76Q
[2] some say they're not dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/BA15D-AC100V-.../dp/B07RFFZ914
[3] some say they are dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/Equivalent-40.../dp/B08DP6CWNS

What makes an LED dimmable anyway? Is it just advertising hype?
Or does the electronics have something special I can actually see inside?

Try sci.electronics.design if no one here has an answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 7 Dec 2020 15:46:08 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 12/7/20 2:16 PM, james wrote:
I need to buy one BA15D to replace a burned out Halogen 120V 75W garage
stair light that is attached to the side wall.

It doesn't need to be brightly lit as it's a short set of open steps and
it's not on a dimmer so I don't care about the wattage all that much.

But I was told by someone dimmable LEDs are more robust than non dimmable
LEDs.

All LEDs are long lasting. Decades, I think**. I wouldn't base my
choice on that. If you have no dimmer, you can use any one of the 3
below except are you sure your socket is bayonet style, and that there
are two contacts in the bottom of the socket? Like sewing machines
use? All 3 of them are recommended for sewing machines, that have
bayonet, insert and twist, mounts.

**Most of mine are on only a fraction of the time. Do they ever wear
out? "Unless an actual component in the LED fails, they will provide
light “forever.” While LEDs do not burn out like fluorescent lamps and
other bulbs they will, however, degrade and dim over time. The diode
itself will begin to emit less and less light as the years pass. Still,
LED lamps can last over 25,000 hours."

That's 3 years 24 hours a day. And if it dims, you said you don't need
much light.

Amazon has three kinds of 12V BA15D LEDs with respect to dimmability

None of these are listed as 12V. But if they were they wouldn't owk in
your fixture.

Also note that all are different wattages, so they are different bulbs
and maybe different in dimmabiliity.

You know you can ask questions on the Amazon Q&A section. You can ask if
it's really dimmable.

[1] some don't say if they are dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/BA15D-Bayonet.../dp/B07GKCC76Q

For this one, the first review said it was 12V but was mislabeled, and
that it blew up when he tried it in a sewing machine, that it was meant
for a car. But in the ad, it's still labeled as 110V and it's rated 4.4
out of 5. I didn't take the time to read other reviews, but I have once
seen a review that was about a totally different product than what it
referred to. Maybe there is a mistake somewhere, or they sent him the
wrong thing (Heck, I bought a refurb computer online and they sent me
the wrong model.

[2] some say they're not dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/BA15D-AC100V-.../dp/B07RFFZ914
[3] some say they are dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/Equivalent-40.../dp/B08DP6CWNS

What makes an LED dimmable anyway? Is it just advertising hype?

I doubt it. Just guessing.

Or does the electronics have something special I can actually see inside?

YOu mean if you break it open? Even simple things have gotten
amazingly complicated inside, IC's for example. Even if you broke open
a dimmable and an non-d, I don't know if you can tell what's there to
make the leds work and what's there to make something dimmable.

Try sci.electronics.design if no one here has an answer.

or sci.electonics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 15:16:17 -0500, james
wrote:

I need to buy one BA15D to replace a burned out Halogen 120V 75W garage
stair light that is attached to the side wall.

It doesn't need to be brightly lit as it's a short set of open steps and
it's not on a dimmer so I don't care about the wattage all that much.

But I was told by someone dimmable LEDs are more robust than non dimmable
LEDs.

Amazon has three kinds of 12V BA15D LEDs with respect to dimmability
[1] some don't say if they are dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/BA15D-Bayonet.../dp/B07GKCC76Q
[2] some say they're not dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/BA15D-AC100V-.../dp/B07RFFZ914
[3] some say they are dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/Equivalent-40.../dp/B08DP6CWNS

What makes an LED dimmable anyway? Is it just advertising hype?
Or does the electronics have something special I can actually see inside?

The electronics is definitely more complex - and behaves MUCH
differently
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/20 3:16 PM, james wrote:
I need to buy one BA15D to replace a burned out Halogen 120V 75W garage
stair light that is attached to the side wall.

It doesn't need to be brightly lit as it's a short set of open steps and
it's not on a dimmer so I don't care about the wattage all that much.

But I was told by someone dimmable LEDs are more robust than non dimmable
LEDs.

Amazon has three kinds of 12V BA15D LEDs with respect to dimmability
[1] some don't say if they are dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/BA15D-Bayonet.../dp/B07GKCC76Q
[2] some say they're not dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/BA15D-AC100V-.../dp/B07RFFZ914
[3] some say they are dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/Equivalent-40.../dp/B08DP6CWNS

What makes an LED dimmable anyway? Is it just advertising hype?
Or does the electronics have something special I can actually see inside?

Every thing you wanted to know about dimmable LEDs, but were afraid to
ask ;-)

https://www.cypress.com/file/90081/download

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 16:42:08 -0500, wrote:

On 12/7/20 3:16 PM, james wrote:
[...]

Except it doesn't even address the issue at hand - a LED driver that
will dim the LED in responseto a standard domestic lamp dimmer (triac
edge triggered?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/20 3:16 PM, james wrote:
[...]

Except it doesn't even BEGIN to address the concept of dimming a
conventional LED lamp via a TRIAC domestic dimmer - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/7/20 2:16 PM, james wrote:
[...]

light €śforever.€ť While LEDs do not burn out like fluorescent lamps and
[...]

I have an LED shop light that just died, in less than a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/7/20 2:16 PM, james wrote:
[...]

Either the driver died or a connection broke. I've seen numerous
"cold solder joint" problems on high bay arrays.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/7/20 2:16 PM, james wrote:
[...]

So far, I can't figure out how to take it apart without trashing it.
Can't find anyone online that has either.

It's the HF $20 unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 10:39:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I have an LED shop light that just died, in less than a year.

Either the driver died or a connection broke. I've seen numerous
"cold solder joint" problems on high bay arrays.

If not a bad solder joint, probably a component other than the LED went
bad. Most likely a capacitor.

I have had several of the screw in bulbs (the 60 watt replacement type)
go bad. Opened one up and put some power on the LEDs and they lit up.
Did not do more testing.

My house is about a year and a half old and the builder put in all LED
bulbs. So far I've had 8 or 9 of them fail. I have one of the failed bulbs
here on my desk. It's an Ecosmart model B7A19A60WU11 9W 800 Lumens 173ma
2700K Made in China.

I'm guessing my builder buys them by the warehouse. Is there a brand that's
better than others? Back in the 60's you could mostly trust Sylvania, GE,
and Westinghouse. What do we have now? There seems to be a million brand
names, all made in China, possibly in the same factory.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Joyce writes:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 10:39:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I have an LED shop light that just died, in less than a year.
Either the driver died or a connection broke. I've seen numerous
"cold solder joint" problems on high bay arrays.

If not a bad solder joint, probably a component other than the LED went
bad. Most likely a capacitor.

I have had several of the screw in bulbs (the 60 watt replacement type)
go bad. Opened one up and put some power on the LEDs and they lit up.
Did not do more testing.

My house is about a year and a half old and the builder put in all LED
bulbs. So far I've had 8 or 9 of them fail. I have one of the failed bulbs
here on my desk. It's an Ecosmart model B7A19A60WU11 9W 800 Lumens 173ma
2700K Made in China.

I get the Feit LED bulbs from Costco. I have dozens installed with no failures
so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/7/20 2:16 PM, james wrote:
[...]

Those things have several/many LEDs, right? So if they all stopped at
once, it's not the leds themselves but some part, supplying power to
them, that they share.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , NONONOmisc07
@fmguy.com says...
hose things have several/many LEDs, right? So if they all stopped at
once, it's not the leds themselves but some part, supplying power to
them, that they share.

Yes, there are many single LEDs in one bulb or tube. I have not taken a
tube apart, butthe screw 60 watt replacement has about a dozen LEDs in
them I think they are in a series/parallel arangement electrically. I
am sure the tubes are the same way or they may all be in series like the
old Christmas tree lights.

Depending on how they are made and color the individual LRD usually take
from just under 1 volt to about 3 volts for normal brightness. They are
actually current dependent and not voltage dependent as long as they
have that 1 to 3 volts across them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 21:53:24 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Dec 2020 19:00:01 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Jim Joyce writes:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 10:39:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I have an LED shop light that just died, in less than a year.
Either the driver died or a connection broke. I've seen numerous
"cold solder joint" problems on high bay arrays.

If not a bad solder joint, probably a component other than the LED went
bad. Most likely a capacitor.

I have had several of the screw in bulbs (the 60 watt replacement type)
go bad. Opened one up and put some power on the LEDs and they lit up.
Did not do more testing.

My house is about a year and a half old and the builder put in all LED
bulbs. So far I've had 8 or 9 of them fail. I have one of the failed bulbs
here on my desk. It's an Ecosmart model B7A19A60WU11 9W 800 Lumens 173ma
2700K Made in China.

I get the Feit LED bulbs from Costco. I have dozens installed with no failures
so far.

Thanks, Scott. That's yet another brand I haven't heard of, but new
technology tends to bring new players. I appreciate it.

I'm only using 2 LED bulbs, shaped like regular light bulbs.

They are very bright.

One is in a lamp I keep knocking over, and it doesn't break. Doesn't
seem like it might. They seem more rugged than the traditional glass
lightbulb.

The other is on the ceiling above my head. I'll get the brand if
anyone cares.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , NONONOmisc07
@fmguy.com says...

I'm only using 2 LED bulbs, shaped like regular light bulbs.

They are very bright.

One is in a lamp I keep knocking over, and it doesn't break. Doesn't
seem like it might. They seem more rugged than the traditional glass
lightbulb.

Several that I have opened up are some kind of plastic and not glass.
Almost impossiable to break.

You can throw them on the cement sidewalk and they will not break.
Probably will still work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery writes:

In article , NONONOmisc07
@fmguy.com says...

I'm only using 2 LED bulbs, shaped like regular light bulbs.

They are very bright.

One is in a lamp I keep knocking over, and it doesn't break. Doesn't
seem like it might. They seem more rugged than the traditional glass
lightbulb.

Several that I have opened up are some kind of plastic and not glass.
Almost impossiable to break.

You can throw them on the cement sidewalk and they will not break.
Probably will still work.

Indeed. LED bulbs are great in drop lights.
For some reason, I drop drop lights frequently.
I think my lifetime total must be 5-10 broken incandescents,
I can remember 2 CFLs broken when I dropped the drop light.
LEDs don't care how careless I get, none broken so far.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jim Joyce writes:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 10:39:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks, but it's not a big deal to me. I see that Amazon has those Feit
bulbs that Scott mentioned. A 10-pack is only $24 and with free shipping
that works out pretty well. I found some that are 5000K, which I greatly
prefer to the yellowish 2700K that are supposed to mimic the old style
filament bulbs.

Trump likes the yellowish bulbs because he can use less face paint, but I'd
rather be able to see clearly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jim Joyce writes:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 10:39:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I've got Feit, Philips, Noma, Sunbeam, Ikea and TCP with virtually no
failures. Not impressed with the Ikeas - and they were not dimmable -

Had some Luminus - bad luck with them.

Over 60 TCPs at the church - one dead out of the box - no failures in
use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jim Joyce writes:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 10:39:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I have a dead phillips LED spot bulb that died in a few months too.