Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thats gonna take 3 years to dry

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 11:09:39 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Yowser ! That's quite the pour !
I'd like to know the background story.
John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2020 12:09 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Cannot imagine a pour like that. I'd think they would put some filler
in first and pout the last 8" or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 27 Nov 2020 13:22:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 11/27/2020 12:09 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Cannot imagine a pour like that. I'd think they would put some filler
in first and pout the last 8" or so.

If you turn the sound on, I think they'r speaking some strange language.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/27/2020 12:09 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Cannot imagine a pour like that. I'd think they would put some filler
in first and pout the last 8" or so.

If you turn the sound on, I think they'r speaking some strange language.

Maybe the guy has 4" legs. Suddenly, the concrete isn't so deep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/20 11:09 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Rebar? Wire mesh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 16:35:53 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 11/27/20 11:09 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Rebar? Wire mesh?

I would have liked to see more video to get those questions answered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/27/20 11:09 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Rebar? Wire mesh?

I would have liked to see more video to get those questions answered.

I bet that isn't "concrete" per se but the grout like they use to
backfill over drain pipes. It is a very lean mix that is mostly just
there to provide mass that won't wash away. They did that here on a
blow out in the road from a leaking storm drain pipe. They brought it
up to about 4" below the grade of the road and finished it with
asphalt. It was almost 10 yards of material to span an 18' road. (4'
wide and ~4' deep).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/27/20 11:09 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Rebar? Wire mesh?

I would have liked to see more video to get those questions answered.

I bet that isn't "concrete" per se but the grout like they use to
backfill over drain pipes. It is a very lean mix that is mostly just
there to provide mass that won't wash away. They did that here on a
blow out in the road from a leaking storm drain pipe. They brought it
up to about 4" below the grade of the road and finished it with
asphalt. It was almost 10 yards of material to span an 18' road. (4'
wide and ~4' deep).

Cool, thanks. Sounds probable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/20 11:09 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Concrete does not "pour" and cement does not "dry."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 08:12:34 -0800, RosemontCrest
wrote:

On 11/27/20 11:09 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Concrete does not "pour" and cement does not "dry."

True but I was trying not to be pedantic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 27, 2020 at 12:09:47 PM UTC-5, Jim Joyce wrote:
Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Obviously, pros would call it curing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/27/20 11:09 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Concrete does not "pour"

I have only ever heard of concrete being poured. What else is it called?

and cement does not "dry."

I assume you meant to say concrete, of which cement is only one ingredient,
and whoever created the imgur link is responsible for using the word 'dry'.
I just copied the title from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 11/27/20 11:09 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Concrete does not "pour"

I have only ever heard of concrete being poured. What else is it called?

Beats me, that's how I've always heard it referred to. We're going to pour the foundation
tomorrow.

and cement does not "dry."

I assume you meant to say concrete, of which cement is only one ingredient,
and whoever created the imgur link is responsible for using the word 'dry'.
I just copied the title from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 14:34:56 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Concrete does not "pour"
I have only ever heard of concrete being poured. What else is it called?

Beats me, that's how I've always heard it referred to. We're going to pour the foundation
tomorrow.

I would like to know too what it is called when concrete is 'installed'.
Looked up pour concrete and pouring concrete and got hundreds of hits of
that.
I am having a carport garage installed now and I will try to remember to
ask the construction crew what it is called when the concrete is brought
out.

Back in my high school days, two summers were spent _pouring_
concrete - floors only - for smallish commercial/industrial
buildings. It was great pay compared to the other high-school jobs !
but long hard work days. It made me realize what I didn't want
to do for the rest of my life !
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 11/27/20 11:09 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Concrete does not "pour"

I have only ever heard of concrete being poured. What else is it called?

Beats me, that's how I've always heard it referred to. We're going to pour the foundation
tomorrow.

The technical term in "place" and when concrete slump starts getting
down around 3 it doesn't really "pour". Most homeowners mix concrete
far too wet (high slump) and it will tend to be less strong when it
cures but for most things that is not an issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 28 Nov 2020 21:00:14 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

On 11/28/2020 12:35 PM, micky wrote:

wrote:

In article ,
says...

Concrete does not "pour"
I have only ever heard of concrete being poured. What else is it called?

Beats me, that's how I've always heard it referred to. We're going to pour the foundation
tomorrow.

I would like to know too what it is called when concrete is 'installed'.
Looked up pour concrete and pouring concrete and got hundreds of hits of
that.
I am having a carport garage installed now and I will try to remember to
ask the construction crew what it is called when the concrete is brought
out.

Back in my high school days, two summers were spent _pouring_
concrete - floors only - for smallish commercial/industrial
buildings. It was great pay compared to the other high-school jobs !

The kid who mowed my lawn in high school, even during the school year
iirc, laughed about his friends who worked at McDonalds. He made about
3 times what they did.

I was the kid who mowed my lawn in high school.

So did I. I meant to say when I was grown and working, a high school
kid mowed my lawn.

After he went off to college, all the kids around here were little. I
told the first kid's mother, even though he's VP, I want him to mow my
lawn when he comes to visit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

good for you!!

When I bought my house, the neighbor asked me if I would hire her kid to mow my lawn. He charged more than almost any commercial provider so I never did.

She said he needed to work mowing lawns because he could not work at McDonalds because he had to spend all day working out to build up muscle mass so he could get a football scholarship

Kid was pretty large already.

I obviously did not hire him. For one thing, I had a lawn mower and I was able to do it myself. I enjoyed it and I learned a lot about machines taking care of the mower.

Win Win

I eventually had to hire a reliable company because I was away for extended periods and actually got a citation from the city when I let it go too long

mk5000

No man tastes pleasures truly, who does not earn them by previous business; and few people do business well, who do nothing else.
Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th Earl Chesterfield (1694-1773), British statesman, man of letters. Letter, 7 August 1749, in The Letters of the Earl of Chesterfield to His Son (1774).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Some kids use the owners' lawn mowers. I don't remember what that kid
used but I'm sure I already had one. After he went off to college, it
broke and I got a second one and it broke and I spent weeks trying to
make one work, by taking parts from one for the other, and then the
other way around. Finally one day after I'd pretty much given up
someone stole both of them. I'll bet he was surprised when he got home.
And it was a relief for me.

I have an end-of-group townhouse so the yard is still small so then I
got an electric. It starts every time.

Win Win

I eventually had to hire a reliable company because I was away for extended periods and actually got a citation from the city when I let it go too long

Wow. No one ever gave me an award for my lawn.

mk5000

No man tastes pleasures truly, who does not earn them by previous business; and few people do business well, who do nothing else.
Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th Earl Chesterfield (1694-1773), British statesman, man of letters. Letter, 7 August 1749, in The Letters of the Earl of Chesterfield to His Son (1774).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Dec 2020 10:18:16 -0500, micky wrote:

Some kids use the owners' lawn mowers. I don't remember what that kid
used but I'm sure I already had one. After he went off to college, it
broke and I got a second one and it broke and I spent weeks trying to
make one work, by taking parts from one for the other, and then the
other way around. Finally one day after I'd pretty much given up
someone stole both of them. I'll bet he was surprised when he got home.
And it was a relief for me.

I have an end-of-group townhouse so the yard is still small so then I
got an electric. It starts every time.

My next door neighbor got a battery powered Ryobi riding mower earlier this
year. Like you say, it starts every time. She loves it. She used to mow
every 3-4 weeks, but since getting the electric model she was out there
every weekend. I offered to make a drink holder for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new topic electric riding mowers

My next door neighbor got a battery powered Ryobi riding mower earlier this
year. Like you say, it starts every time. She loves it. She used to mow
every 3-4 weeks, but since getting the electric model she was out there
every weekend. I offered to make a drink holder for it.

For years I've been wondering when a decent battery-powered
lawn tractor would be available ! It seems the _perfect_
application for the technology - put a solar charger on the shed
roof - it sits all week on charge - if it can last about 2 - 3
hours on a full charge most homeowners would be A-OK.
my half-acre is easily done in an hour

Battery life and replacement cost would be a big factor.

https://tinyurl.com/yxhjhowb

https://greenworkscommercial.com/rz4...ero-turn-mower

Greenworks also offers 52" & 60" decks - $ 15 grand price range.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Joyce writes:

[...]

This year I got an Ego self-propelled battery powered walk behind mower.

I must have been mowing every 5 days I liked it so much.

The lawns have never looked so good.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder writes:
On Tue, 01 Dec 2020 13:05:43 -0500, wrote:

My next door neighbor got a battery powered Ryobi riding mower earlier this
year. Like you say, it starts every time. She loves it. She used to mow
every 3-4 weeks, but since getting the electric model she was out there
every weekend. I offered to make a drink holder for it.

For years I've been wondering when a decent battery-powered
lawn tractor would be available ! It seems the _perfect_
application for the technology - put a solar charger on the shed
roof - it sits all week on charge - if it can last about 2 - 3
hours on a full charge most homeowners would be A-OK.
my half-acre is easily done in an hour

Battery life and replacement cost would be a big factor.

https://tinyurl.com/yxhjhowb

https://greenworkscommercial.com/rz4...ero-turn-mower

Greenworks also offers 52" & 60" decks - $ 15 grand price range.
John T.

You forget Newton Gingrich's "electric ox" from just down the road in
Baden a few decades back? Just checked - they are still in existance -
Electric Tractor Corporation. planning in bringing out the new Ox2

http://www.electrictractor.com/electric-tractor-video/

From 2017:

"Richard Zirger, Chair and CEO of Electric Tractor Inc. announced
today plans to speed up the completion of the Company's new generation
electric tractor. A multi-year effort to access equity financing from
the public marketplace in the U.S. has not materialized. Given the
current uncertain regulatory and public investment climate facing
clean tech/green tech start-ups in the U.S., all activities of Electric
Tractor Corp. (a registered Wyoming public corporation that is also
filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission) are on hold"

"ETi will start a compressed development cycle this September accessing an
enthusiastic and able engineering talent pool equipped with advanced
design and testing tools. Completion of the transformation of the
exciting new generation OX2 series from drawing board to manufacturing
ready is underway. First product is scheduled for market release by early 2019."

http://www.electrictractor.com/news/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Dec 2020 13:30:56 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

[...]

A friend - who was a keen young engineer once - helped with the
early designs and owned a proto-type. Was it called something
different in the early days ? .. I tried google-ing it before
your post and couldn't remember the company name -
Ox doesn't ring-a-bell .. might just be my bad memory.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 27, 2020 at 1:22:59 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/27/2020 12:09 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Serious concrete pour. This is not how I would have done it, but maybe
that's why I'm not a pro.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJB4Boh

Cannot imagine a pour like that. I'd think they would put some filler
in first and pout the last 8" or so.

I had to fill a pit like that when I worked in a cardboard box factory. The pit was excavated for a machine that was delayed and we needed to bring it back to grade for a few months for safety.

I had them fill with pea gravel and pour (place!) the top six inches with concrete, then when the machine was ready we broke the concrete and removed the pea gravel.

At work now we call a very wet low strength concrete "flowable fill." We use it for space filling like voids or an underground tank we can't get out. I would say that qualifies as pouring.