DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage door opener (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/682227-garage-door-opener.html)

Deborah November 16th 20 02:01 AM

Garage door opener

My garage door opener is humming but is working just fine. Is that a fire hazard?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-3070010-.htm

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] November 16th 20 02:20 AM

Garage door opener

On 11/15/2020 9:01 PM, Deborah wrote:
My garage door opener is humming but is working just fine. Is that a
fire hazard?

How about more information. Hum all the time or just when it is
opening/closing? Did it just start or has it always done it?

Motors do hum when working.

u November 16th 20 02:21 AM

Garage door opener

Motors do hum when working.

thats some real news

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] November 16th 20 03:10 AM

Garage door opener

On 11/15/2020 9:21 PM, u wrote:

Motors do hum when working.

thats some real news

Only when they don't know the words

% November 16th 20 03:15 AM

Garage door opener

On 2020-11-15 8:10 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/15/2020 9:21 PM, u wrote:

Motors do hum when working.

thats some real news

Only when they don't know the words

the a sign you've got an air band in your water pump

Hawk November 16th 20 07:27 PM

Garage door opener

On 11/15/2020 9:21 PM, u wrote:

Motors do hum when working.

thats some real news

They're part of the dwarf clan.

Todesco November 22nd 20 09:11 PM

Garage door opener

On 11/15/2020 9:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/15/2020 9:01 PM, Deborah wrote:
My garage door opener is humming but is working just fine. Is that a
fire hazard?

How about more information.Â* Hum all the time or just when it is
opening/closing?Â* Did it just start or has it always done it?

Motors do hum when working.

In my previous house I installed an opener that hummed. The only tune
was 60Hz and maybe some harmonics of 60Hz. It was the transformer that
provides low voltage for the buttons to manually control the door. It
did that for 30 some years and is probably still humming. If it were in
a place where I spent lots of time, I would have probably replace the
transformer. BTW, it was worse in the winter when the garage was
colder. Occationally, in the winter, I could even hear it in my
bedroom, which was above the garage.