Mike in DE.

Default Will solid stain cover old stain on a deck?

I used Behr solid stain on my deck two years ago and its alredy
peeling off of everything thats laying horizontal. I have gotten rid
of all loose stain and am ready to try agian, with a differant product
(I'm not making the mistake of using Behr again). The vertical wood
(balisters, posts, etc.)and certain spots on the deck planks, the
stain is sticking really well and my question is do I need to remove
this stain before I apply a differant color soliid stain or will the
stain cover up the old color, like paint would? The old color was a
dull maroon, and I plan on painting the rails white and the deck grey.
Also, any suggestions on a good product to use?

Thanks a lot,
Mike
Roger

"Mike in DE."
I used Behr solid stain on my deck two years ago and its alredy
peeling off of everything thats laying horizontal. I have gotten rid
of all loose stain and am ready to try agian, with a differant product
(I'm not making the mistake of using Behr again). The vertical wood
(balisters, posts, etc.)and certain spots on the deck planks, the
stain is sticking really well and my question is do I need to remove
this stain before I apply a differant color soliid stain or will the
stain cover up the old color, like paint would? The old color was a
dull maroon, and I plan on painting the rails white and the deck grey.
Also, any suggestions on a good product to use?

Might be able to minimize work by just restaining the deck, and solving the
verticals issues later:
Vertical parts of the deck wood will tend to last, as they drain fast and
resist rot, even without finish. I like semitransparent stains, like
Cabots, as they last for 3 yrs (here in N. CA) and prior to reapplication,
require only light pressure washing to remove mildew stains and loose wood.
Further, they soak in, so dont leave a significant surface residue to peel
off later. If the deck boards are clean, you can either treat with deck prep
solution from Home Depot, then wash off with a hose nozzle, or use a
pressure sprayer to clean off the wood. I use pressure wash as the cleaners
have toxics in them, and get into groundwater. When you redo the deck
itself, you can restain the verticals using an exterior deck paint that
computer matches the now-dried floor color. It would be difficult to remove
your existing finish off the ballisters, etc. and stain will not stick well
to impermeable surfaces like the Behr solid. I know this is a Rube Goldberg
solution, but it's one idea.
I suspect the deck wood was not properly primed/prepared, or thoroughly dry,
or the paint was not mixed or applied incorrectly. Perhaps you dont have a
full 1/4-3/8ths gap between deck boards, for drainage. I doubt if the prob
was Behr itself, as it adhered and lasted well on your verticals. Look hard
at the places where the stain lasted on the horizontals. That will give you
a hint why it stuck in those areas. Protected from sun/rain, less light,
better gaps, etc etc?
Good Luck