Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NIMA 14-50

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 6:38:22 AM UTC-4, gary wrote:
On 10/11/20 1:52 AM, Eli Sidwell Iii wrote:
Contractor stated that he only needed 2 #6 wires and use the conduit as a ground for the ground and neutral.

Using the conduit as a neutral is dangerous.Â* I'd fire that clowntractor and do it right.

That about sums that up. After all the discussion here about how to do it
right, this is how it winds up. It's a clear and major code violation to
be using the conduit as the neutral, surprising a licensed electrician
would ever do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 22:52:52 -0700 (PDT), Eli Sidwell Iii
wrote:

On Monday, September 28, 2020 at 11:06:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, September 28, 2020 at 9:34:14 PM UTC-5, Eli Sidwell wrote:
On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 2:20:57 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 13:16:26 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 7:30:11 PM UTC-5, Sid wrote:
Can a NIMA 14-50 receptacle be wired up with #10 wire ?
What if you doubled up each wire ?

Would that meet code ?
what if you found one wired up that way ?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I ask the contractor about using 3/4" conduit and he stated that the radius was too big to hide in the wall. He said he may use 3/4" but use a 1/2" piece to get around the corner.

Call your local building inspector office and check that you can't just
run Romex...

Then you'll know if the contractor is just stuck in old Chicago or your
jurisdiction hasn't changed to match the times yet, either.

I'd guess odds are 50:50 it would meet your locality's code and
eliminate all the hassle.

Or, if it's so difficult a run to make a bend in the wall (and I can't
see why that should be so -- he might have to make a bigger hole to feed
one end through a joist if it won't fit in one 16" joist bay, but that
shouldn't be any big deal), just do the overhead to the joist cavity
that wants to hit and come in the top of the box and the elbow is above
or could use the pull box in the attic in Code as wouldn't be covered there.

But, going Romex is the smart thing to do -- check with your
municipality to find out what the pertinent Code really is.
Or "BX" if protection is rerquired?
The work was supposed to be done this wknd, but the contractor called on the day of and said he had a family emergency.
If we start having problems like that , I will look around for another contractor.

The corner is an inside corner. Here is a pic from Menards:
https://www.menards.com/main/electri...4430897073.htm

Thanks

Here is the HD link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-...4607/100210850

I got a text from my tenant on Friday stating the receptacle was in and working. Contractor stated that he only needed 2 #6 wires and use the conduit as a ground for the ground and neutral. Don't know I have not seen it yet. May end up ripping it out and re-doing it myself.

Any thoughts ?

I doubt it really uses the neutral so you are probably good to go. It
should still be a 3 wire receptacle tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

There's at least a possibility that the conduit will be routinely
carrying current. The elbow isn't threaded. That would make it easier
to get a bad connection.
I'd vote no. I'm curious what Fretwell has to say.

Fon't know about where the OP is, but up here in Ontario the conduit
can NOT be used as the neutral and in many cases cannot be used as the
"safety ground" either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

Follow UP: I went over and inspected what the contractor had done, what I found was that they installed a "NEMA 6-50" outlet that only has two hots and a neutral, and the neutral was terminated at a ground block in the receptacle box.
So: 1/2" Conduit w/2 #6 wires and the ground from the 6-50 terminated in the receptacle box.

I figure Its on the edge of the building code, but probably not unsafe ?
Thanks
Sid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

So the neutral isn't actually connected to the 3rd prong
of the
receptacle?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

Legal but not desirable. You can use the conduit for ground if
everything is made up properly but a #10 grounding conductor would
have been better. There is still no neutral present. If you need that,
this is not going to be legal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

My Bad, I stated it wrong, NO Neutral, just the ground terminated in the receptacle box ! (plug has 3 wires)
Should I leave it or have it changed ? (If it is to be changed, this would be the time, because I want to finish the walls in the garage.)

The Contractor stated that he wanted to use 1/2" conduit because he couldn't get 3/4" to bend around the corner w/o showing.
I figure there are ways of doing it, you just need to think outside the box ?!
Can't just run your conduit bend down into the corner and then another bend down into the other wall so that you get a 90 and no part of the radius showing ?
May look a little crazy, but seems like it would work on paper ?!

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

Yours is actually a fairly elegant geometric solution if you don't end
up with too many bends (360 degrees total).
It is likely your car charger is just a line to line load (240 only)
and if that is true, what you have, works. If you want a belt and
suspenders approach to your ground you could get some green #10 solid
and tywrap it to the outside of the conduit and tie the boxes
together. HD/Lowes sells it by the foot.
It is sort of legal since the conductors are all run together and
physical damage potential inside a wall is minimal.

Before I closed up the wall I would verify what type of plugs are
available on the charger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

Since when is it code compliant to use the ground at a receptacle for the neutral?

.. You can use the conduit for ground if
everything is made up properly but a #10 grounding conductor would
have been better. There is still no neutral present. If you need that,
this is not going to be legal.

I guess you missed the part where he said the neutral is tied to the ground at the
receptacle. The conduit is not only the ground, it's the neutral too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

Big difference. Then what you have is code compliant.

Should I leave it or have it changed ? (If it is to be changed, this would be the time, because I want to finish the walls in the garage.)

The Contractor stated that he wanted to use 1/2" conduit because he couldn't get 3/4" to bend around the corner w/o showing.
I figure there are ways of doing it, you just need to think outside the box ?!
Can't just run your conduit bend down into the corner and then another bend down into the other wall so that you get a 90 and no part of the radius showing ?
May look a little crazy, but seems like it would work on paper ?!

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

I was referring to using the raceway as the grounding conductor.

. You can use the conduit for ground if
everything is made up properly but a #10 grounding conductor would
have been better. There is still no neutral present. If you need that,
this is not going to be legal.

I guess you missed the part where he said the neutral is tied to the ground at the
receptacle. The conduit is not only the ground, it's the neutral too.

A 6-50 only has 2 ungrounded conductors and an equipment grounding
conductor. There was never a legal 6-50 using the neutral as a ground.
It was common on the 14-50 before the 96 code change.