Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unfortunately your phone is not compatible ...

"Unfortunately your phone is not compatible
Not all phones are made to work with Xfinity Mobile, but you can still join Xfinity
Mobile by trading in your current phone and buying a new one."

Has anyone ever seen the above msg ? We are trying to switch phone carriers and the agent with Xfinity kept getting the above popup msg. We were told a number of reasons why this could happen: "Phone is the wrong technology", "Phone has wrong antenna", Not compatible IMEI number.
These are "Galaxy 10+" phones, 3 months old !

Don't know much about phones.
Any help is appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In Ed Pawlowski writes:

On 8/1/2020 8:48 PM, wrote:
"Unfortunately your phone is not compatible

Xfinity uses the Verizon network. ATT and Verizon use different
technology but some newer phones can use either.

This may help. Or visit your local Xfinity office
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...nother-carrier

Xfinity also _heavily_ uses thei WiFi cloud [a], so if your
phone doesn't have wifi voice connection capability (most do
now, but not all, and the phone also has to be able to handle
the auto validation to Xfiniti..) then it won't work.

[a] the factory/default cable modem/wifi base they provide
subscribers has _two_ separate wifi IDs in it.

The first is your own home base, which will require
your own set of usernames and passwords. This will
only work on your own system.

HOWEVER, they've got a separate SSID (base station ID)
which is the same on _all_ the default factory cable modem bases.

Hence, if your Xfinity phone is in range of any of
the literally millions of these, then it'll hook
up via WiFi.

Similarly, if you have an xfinity account, you can
set your laptop to use that universal ID, and this
will let you use your laptop at, again, any of the
millions of hot spots.

Note that most customers do NOT realize their cable
modem base is semi public. There's no significant
downside to it, and it does NOT crimp down your
official account speed when people hook into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 01 Aug 2020 21:01:45 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

"Unfortunately your phone is not compatible
Not all phones are made to work with Xfinity Mobile, but you can still join Xfinity
Mobile by trading in your current phone and buying a new one."

Has anyone ever seen the above msg ? We are trying to switch phone
carriers and the agent with Xfinity kept getting the above popup
msg. We were told a number of reasons why this could happen: "Phone is
the wrong technology", "Phone has wrong antenna", Not compatible IMEI
number.
These are "Galaxy 10+" phones, 3 months old !

Instead of trying to switch carriers, I'd try for a second opionion by
trying to sign up for Xfinity and see if they ask what phone you have,
and give you the same answer

If the answers here are not enough, check out comp.mobile.android.

Don't know much about phones.
Any help is appreciated.

The S10+ is 5G compatible.

Maybe it meant Xfinity doesn't do 5G?

Could be, but pretty stupid to shoo him away just for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:48:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
"Unfortunately your phone is not compatible
Not all phones are made to work with Xfinity Mobile, but you can still join Xfinity
Mobile by trading in your current phone and buying a new one."

Has anyone ever seen the above msg ? We are trying to switch phone carriers and the agent with Xfinity kept getting the above popup msg. We were told a number of reasons why this could happen: "Phone is the wrong technology", "Phone has wrong antenna", Not compatible IMEI number.
These are "Galaxy 10+" phones, 3 months old !

Don't know much about phones.
Any help is appreciated.

That's a lot of good info, no wonder we are having issues going from T-Mobile to Xfinity. The link is great, but it only covers Samsung phones up through 7. We purchased Samsung 10+ phones last March.
Just purchased new sim cards from Verizon free, but $20 activation fee.
Should work. At the Xfinity store the agent was able to insert a different sim card into the phone and it worked ? I was sure that incompatibility stuff was all wrong !

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 8:48:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
"Unfortunately your phone is not compatible
Not all phones are made to work with Xfinity Mobile, but you can still join Xfinity
Mobile by trading in your current phone and buying a new one."

Has anyone ever seen the above msg ? We are trying to switch phone carriers and the agent with Xfinity kept getting the above popup msg. We were told a number of reasons why this could happen: "Phone is the wrong technology", "Phone has wrong antenna", Not compatible IMEI number.
These are "Galaxy 10+" phones, 3 months old !

Don't know much about phones.
Any help is appreciated.

Googling you can find what technology and which bands Xfinity uses.
You also can find what your phone supports. Since it's a new, high end
Android phone, my strong suspicion is that it will work and Xfinity
doesn't know what they are talking about as evidenced by the stupid
excuses they gave you. Could be as simple as since it's new the dummies
don't have it entered into their list of supported phones.

Meanwhile if there is good Tmobile coverage in your area, check out
Mint Mobile. They are a MVNO running on Tmobile. You can get unlimited
voice/text and 3GB of high speed data for $15 a month, up to 12GB of
hs data for $25 a month. After that it slows to 2G speed, so if you
use more data than that, skip it. If you or anyone you know wants to
sign up with Mint, let me know, I can give you a referral code for a
$15 credit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/20 10:22 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I thought about it briefly. Coverage is pretty spotty west of
the Missouri River. Nebraska is a big dead spot.
https://www.mintmobile.com/coverage/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/2020 09:33 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

T-Mobile isn't great in Montana but even Verizon only covers 58% of the
state. It's pretty much limited to the valleys and along the major
roads. I turned the phone off last weekend because I knew there was no
signal where I was. No surprise, since there weren't any people either.

There are some holes that I wouldn't expect. My version of war driving
is to pipe Jango to the radio over Bluetooth. When the music stops, I'm
in a hole.

Years ago my boss tried to convince me to get a cellphone with the
argument that I go off hiking by myself and it would be great in
emergencies. I didn't have the heart to tell him where I go I'd need a
satphone.

The only annoyance is I have a geocaching app that is spotty. It's not
time to retire the Garmin with preloaded points.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Unfortunately your phone is not compatible
Not all phones are made to work with Xfinity Mobile, but you can
still join Xfinity
Mobile by trading in your current phone and buying a new one."

Has anyone ever seen the above msg ?Â* We are trying to switch phone
carriers and the agent with Xfinity kept getting the above popup msg.
We were told a number of reasons why this could happen: "Phone is the
wrong technology",Â* "Phone has wrong antenna", Not compatible IMEI
number.
These are "Galaxy 10+"Â* phones, 3 months old !

Don't know much about phones.
Any help is appreciated.

Googling you can find what technology and which bands Xfinity uses.
You also can find what your phone supports.Â* Since it's a new, high end
Android phone, my strong suspicion is that it will work and Xfinity
doesn't know what they are talking about as evidenced by the stupid
excuses they gave you.Â* Could be as simple as since it's new the dummies
don't have it entered into their list of supported phones.

Meanwhile if there is good Tmobile coverage in your area, check out
Mint Mobile.Â* They are a MVNO running on Tmobile.Â* You can get unlimited
voice/text and 3GB of high speed data for $15 a month, up to 12GB of
hs data for $25 a month.Â* After that it slows to 2G speed, so if you
use more data than that, skip it.Â* If you or anyone you know wants to
sign up with Mint, let me know, I can give you a referral code for a
$15 credit.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I thought about it briefly.Â*Â* Coverage is pretty spotty west of
the Missouri River.Â* Nebraska is a big dead spot.
https://www.mintmobile.com/coverage/

T-Mobile isn't great in Montana but even Verizon only covers 58% of the
state. It's pretty much limited to the valleys and along the major
roads. I turned the phone off last weekend because I knew there was no
signal where I was. No surprise, since there weren't any people either.

There are some holes that I wouldn't expect. My version of war driving
is to pipe Jango to the radio over Bluetooth. When the music stops, I'm
in a hole.

Years ago my boss tried to convince me to get a cellphone with the
argument that I go off hiking by myself and it would be great in
emergencies. I didn't have the heart to tell him where I go I'd need a
satphone.

The only annoyance is I have a geocaching app that is spotty. It's not
time to retire the Garmin with preloaded points.

Same with me hunting in crowded DE. Many place I hunted had no
reception and I carried a Garmin gps.

Sitting here typing this right now I just turned on my cell phone to "no
service". As the crow flies, cell tower is less than 2 miles away but
their is a hill between us blocking it. I have a simple flip phone but
wife's smart phone works on our wifi.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 10:40:31 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

T-Mobile isn't great in Montana but even Verizon only covers 58% of the
state.

FLUSH more lengthy senile blather

So, why does nobody in real life want to listen to your lengthy senile
blather, senile gossip? Any idea, you endlessly blathering washerwoman? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/2020 11:16 AM, Frank wrote:
Sitting here typing this right now I just turned on my cell phone to "no
service". As the crow flies, cell tower is less than 2 miles away but
their is a hill between us blocking it. I have a simple flip phone but
wife's smart phone works on our wifi.

I know of two places around here where there are homemade signs saying
'cellphone pulloff'. These aren't the safety pulloff signs that the
state puts up but the sweet spots where the locals have figured out you
can get a signal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 21:25:32 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I know of two places around here where there are homemade signs saying
'cellphone pulloff'. These aren't the safety pulloff signs that the
state puts up but the sweet spots where the locals have figured out you
can get a signal.

Wanna talk more about it, senile gossip? I bet you want to! LOL