DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fluorescent tube (replacement) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/678289-fluorescent-tube-replacement.html)

Lindgs August 1st 20 04:44 PM

Fluorescent tube (replacement)

I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture. The old one was difficult
to remove. The new one will not totally seat in the fixture. Can some kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1225749-.htm

Dan Espen[_3_] August 1st 20 05:14 PM

Lindgs m writes:

I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture. The old one was difficult
to remove. The new one will not totally seat in the fixture. Can some kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

I don't think so, but those posts that hold the lamp can be replaced.
While you are at it, take the fixture down, replace the lamp holders,
remove the ballast and put an LED tube in there.

You'll be happy you did and odds are, you'll never replace that tube again.

--
Dan Espen

[email protected] August 1st 20 05:36 PM

Fluorescent tube (replacement)

I had no idea that LED replacements for florescent tubes lasted forever!

Dean Hoffman[_12_] August 1st 20 05:41 PM

Fluorescent tube (replacement)

On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture.Â* The oldÂ* one was
difficult
to remove.Â* The new one will not totally seat in the fixture.Â* Can some
kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

I think what you're after is called conductive grease. Something
like this:
https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Tube-Special-Grease-Compound/dp/B00HSW341A/ref=sr_1_40?crid=3C8MFDS7V4KG9&dchild=1&keywords=c onductive+grease&qid=1596296036&sprefix=conductive +gr%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-40

or
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3duq8vy

The makers of that stuff are pretty proud of it price wise.
You don't want dielectric grease which is non conductive.

Dan Espen[_3_] August 1st 20 06:06 PM

writes:

I had no idea that LED replacements for florescent tubes lasted forever!

Depending on your age, you have a very good chance of that tube
outlasting yourself. Or, you may move before the tube gives up.

I replaced 4 tubes in a plant light with LED tubes. Before this,
I'd replaced the florescents more than once. They would noticeably dim
after a few years. I've had the LEDs in there for about 10 years now.
No degradation, and the color temperature is very pleasing.

I recently replaced all my outdoor house lighting. There are no bulbs
at all. The LED is built in to the fixture. They expect the light
to last as long as the fixture.

I replaced my kitchen can light fixtures. I had LED bulbs in there,
but the new ones were even better. Again, no bulb, but also no
opening into the can. Each fixture had a switch in it so you
could pick the color temperature you wanted. (5 different colors
to choose from.)

LEDs are not only more efficient and last longer, they are way more
attractive.

--
Dan Espen

[email protected] August 1st 20 08:42 PM

Fluorescent tube (replacement)

And LEDs dont contain all that mercury, which is a problem when throwing out. They still have arsenic and lead, though.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] August 1st 20 08:57 PM

On 8/1/2020 2:42 PM, wrote:
And LEDs dont contain all that mercury, which is a problem when throwing out. They still have arsenic and lead, though.

You can save the arsenic in case you need it later.

trader_4 August 1st 20 10:26 PM

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 11:41:24 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture.Â* The oldÂ* one was
difficult
to remove.Â* The new one will not totally seat in the fixture.Â* Can some
kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

I think what you're after is called conductive grease. Something
like this:
https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Tube-Special-Grease-Compound/dp/B00HSW341A/ref=sr_1_40?crid=3C8MFDS7V4KG9&dchild=1&keywords=c onductive+grease&qid=1596296036&sprefix=conductive +gr%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-40

or
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3duq8vy

The makers of that stuff are pretty proud of it price wise.
You don't want dielectric grease which is non conductive.

ACtually, I think dielectric grease is what you would want to use. It's
what's used in auto lamp holders for example. Conductive grease would
create a current path. Dielectric grease works by keeping it lubricated
so it won't corrode, but it gets easily pressed out of the way of the
contact point so a good contact is made.

Bit I've yet to see a tube fixture that needed it. I'd suspect if you
put the bulb in correctly and twist, it will seat. Sometimes they can
be tricky, not sure grease will help. And agree that if it were my fixture,
I'd be looking at a new LED fixture as the first choice, or maybe a
retrofit if it can't be changed easily. They don't cost much, sure look
and work a lot better and use less electricity.

Dean Hoffman[_12_] August 1st 20 10:50 PM

On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
[...]

Temptation would've gotten the best of me if I was doing it for
myself. I would have tried the WD-40 or powdered graphite if I really
thought it was needed. Then I would have waited a couple hours to let
things settle out.

[email protected] August 2nd 20 02:30 AM

Fluorescent tube (replacement)

On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
[...]

I lot depends on the fixture itself. If it was cheap to begin with,
buying a new LED ready to go is probably right but for the same amount
of work you can just hot wire the tombstones, remove the ballast and
use the direct wire LED. That is certainly a better idea if this is
some kind of designer fixture you really like. They are supposed to be
good for 10,000 hours or more so that is. quite a number of years if
you are only using it a few hours a day. The old school F-40s in our
walk in closet are 20+ years old. I have never replaced them but they
only get used minutes a day.

Also pay attention to the color. LEDs come anything from a warm 2700k
to an arc light "stalag 17" 6000k maybe even "hotter".

Brian Gaff (Sofa) August 2nd 20 02:39 AM

On 8/1/2020 7:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture.Â* The oldÂ* one was
difficult
to remove.Â* The new one will not totally seat in the fixture.Â* Can some
kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

Thank you for the question Lindgs. Indeed you may use the proper lube
to make this tube "slid right in." I've found K-Y Jelly is good for
just such a jam, and the nice thing is any leftovers can be used on your
anus.

Hope this helps. 💋

rbowman August 2nd 20 03:47 AM

On 08/01/2020 06:30 PM, wrote:
Also pay attention to the color. LEDs come anything from a warm 2700k
to an arc light "stalag 17" 6000k maybe even "hotter".

I like the Stalag 17 setting. The cataracts introduce enough yellow into
my life without the warm candlelight effect.

Ralph Mowery August 2nd 20 05:36 AM

Fluorescent tube (replacement)

In article , says...

Temptation would've gotten the best of me if I was doing it for
myself. I would have tried the WD-40 or powdered graphite if I really
thought it was needed. Then I would have waited a couple hours to let
things settle out.

I might try the WD-40 (except I will never use any of that stuff), but
not the graphite. The graphite is conductive and wil probably arc over.

Peeler[_4_] August 2nd 20 10:41 AM

lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 19:47:09 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I like the Stalag 17 setting. The cataracts introduce enough yellow into
my life without the warm candlelight effect.

Obviously not enough to stop you from spreading your endless bull**** on
Usenet, lowbrowwoman!

TimR[_2_] August 2nd 20 03:01 PM

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-4, Lindgs wrote:
I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture. The old one was difficult
to remove. The new one will not totally seat in the fixture. Can some kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1225749-.htm

I do not believe lubrication will help.

If you get tube lined up exactly and push straight in then turn, it should fit.

If it doesn't something is worn or broken, and lubrication will not help.

But getting them really straight without twisting or angling is usually the problem.

Also check the pins, you could have a bad tube. I've never seen one but it seems logical it could happen.

I converted to LED tubes - disconnected the ballast and discarded. It turned out my tombstones were nonshunted so I didn't even need to replace but you do need to check that. I'm happy with them so far. And I put the LED shoplights in my shed, and now in the winter they come on right away, unlike the fluorescent that can't handle the cold.

trader_4 August 2nd 20 04:51 PM

On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
[...]

Designer fixture and fluorescent tubes does not compute.

[email protected] August 3rd 20 12:28 AM

Fluorescent tube (replacement)

On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
[...]

You don't know my wife. I think she spent $100 on the one in our
closet in the late 90s. It may not have actually cost her that much
but that was the MSRP. She worked for in interior design place at the
time. I wasn't involved. I just put it up. It is an industrial quality
ballast and good tombstones. Not the junk you got in $20-30 "shop
lights".