Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent tube (replacement)

I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture. The old one was difficult
to remove. The new one will not totally seat in the fixture. Can some kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1225749-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lindgs m writes:

I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture. The old one was difficult
to remove. The new one will not totally seat in the fixture. Can some kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

I don't think so, but those posts that hold the lamp can be replaced.
While you are at it, take the fixture down, replace the lamp holders,
remove the ballast and put an LED tube in there.

You'll be happy you did and odds are, you'll never replace that tube again.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had no idea that LED replacements for florescent tubes lasted forever!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture.Â* The oldÂ* one was
difficult
to remove.Â* The new one will not totally seat in the fixture.Â* Can some
kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

I think what you're after is called conductive grease. Something
like this:
https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Tube-Special-Grease-Compound/dp/B00HSW341A/ref=sr_1_40?crid=3C8MFDS7V4KG9&dchild=1&keywords=c onductive+grease&qid=1596296036&sprefix=conductive +gr%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-40

or
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3duq8vy

The makers of that stuff are pretty proud of it price wise.
You don't want dielectric grease which is non conductive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And LEDs dont contain all that mercury, which is a problem when throwing out. They still have arsenic and lead, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 11:41:24 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture.Â* The oldÂ* one was
difficult
to remove.Â* The new one will not totally seat in the fixture.Â* Can some
kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

I think what you're after is called conductive grease. Something
like this:
https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Tube-Special-Grease-Compound/dp/B00HSW341A/ref=sr_1_40?crid=3C8MFDS7V4KG9&dchild=1&keywords=c onductive+grease&qid=1596296036&sprefix=conductive +gr%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-40

or
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3duq8vy

The makers of that stuff are pretty proud of it price wise.
You don't want dielectric grease which is non conductive.

ACtually, I think dielectric grease is what you would want to use. It's
what's used in auto lamp holders for example. Conductive grease would
create a current path. Dielectric grease works by keeping it lubricated
so it won't corrode, but it gets easily pressed out of the way of the
contact point so a good contact is made.

Bit I've yet to see a tube fixture that needed it. I'd suspect if you
put the bulb in correctly and twist, it will seat. Sometimes they can
be tricky, not sure grease will help. And agree that if it were my fixture,
I'd be looking at a new LED fixture as the first choice, or maybe a
retrofit if it can't be changed easily. They don't cost much, sure look
and work a lot better and use less electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
[...]

Temptation would've gotten the best of me if I was doing it for
myself. I would have tried the WD-40 or powdered graphite if I really
thought it was needed. Then I would have waited a couple hours to let
things settle out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
[...]

I lot depends on the fixture itself. If it was cheap to begin with,
buying a new LED ready to go is probably right but for the same amount
of work you can just hot wire the tombstones, remove the ballast and
use the direct wire LED. That is certainly a better idea if this is
some kind of designer fixture you really like. They are supposed to be
good for 10,000 hours or more so that is. quite a number of years if
you are only using it a few hours a day. The old school F-40s in our
walk in closet are 20+ years old. I have never replaced them but they
only get used minutes a day.

Also pay attention to the color. LEDs come anything from a warm 2700k
to an arc light "stalag 17" 6000k maybe even "hotter".

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,alt.slack

On 8/1/2020 7:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture.Â* The oldÂ* one was
difficult
to remove.Â* The new one will not totally seat in the fixture.Â* Can some
kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

Thank you for the question Lindgs. Indeed you may use the proper lube
to make this tube "slid right in." I've found K-Y Jelly is good for
just such a jam, and the nice thing is any leftovers can be used on your
anus.

Hope this helps. 💋
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 19:47:09 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I like the Stalag 17 setting. The cataracts introduce enough yellow into
my life without the warm candlelight effect.

Obviously not enough to stop you from spreading your endless bull**** on
Usenet, lowbrowwoman!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-4, Lindgs wrote:
I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture. The old one was difficult
to remove. The new one will not totally seat in the fixture. Can some kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1225749-.htm

I do not believe lubrication will help.

If you get tube lined up exactly and push straight in then turn, it should fit.

If it doesn't something is worn or broken, and lubrication will not help.

But getting them really straight without twisting or angling is usually the problem.

Also check the pins, you could have a bad tube. I've never seen one but it seems logical it could happen.

I converted to LED tubes - disconnected the ballast and discarded. It turned out my tombstones were nonshunted so I didn't even need to replace but you do need to check that. I'm happy with them so far. And I put the LED shoplights in my shed, and now in the winter they come on right away, unlike the fluorescent that can't handle the cold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
[...]

Designer fixture and fluorescent tubes does not compute.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/20 9:44 AM, Lindgs wrote:
[...]

You don't know my wife. I think she spent $100 on the one in our
closet in the late 90s. It may not have actually cost her that much
but that was the MSRP. She worked for in interior design place at the
time. I wasn't involved. I just put it up. It is an industrial quality
ballast and good tombstones. Not the junk you got in $20-30 "shop
lights".