Posted to alt.home.repair

Default liquid tight connector to pvc conduit

I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Looking at this video: https://youtu.be/1x4i0LFU4_A?t=340
at 5 min & 40 secs the presenter picks one up and I had to turn the volume up really loud to try and figure out what he was saying.
Sounds like 'Carflex' connector.
After watching the video a couple of times I believe this is actually 2 pieces. Compression to male thread and female thread to PVC conduit ?
Did I get it right ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/20 6:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

So you want something like this for conduit.
https://carlonsales.com/techinfo/brochures/electrical/Carflex_Brochure.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 16:14:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Legally you need a female adapter on the RNC and a male Carflex
adapter. I won't tell you that a regular RNC coupling glued onto
Carflex will last forever but if you use primer ... Well you know.
It is a listing issue. Carlon does list using glued fittings on Smurf
Tube (ENT) but not Carflex.
OTOH plumbers do it all the time with Spaflex (white Carflex.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

So is the Carfex in black a different product than the gray liquidtight (poly) that you see in HD ? This stuff also seems kind of expensive per foot ? Should I try to make the whole run w/straight and preformed elbows ?

Is any of it suitable for direct burial ?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/20 7:35 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

So is the Carfex in black a different product than the gray liquidtight (poly) that you see in HD ? This stuff also seems kind of expensive per foot ? Should I try to make the whole run w/straight and preformed elbows ?

Is any of it suitable for direct burial ?
Thanks

Carflex, 1/2",3/4", and 1" are listed for direct burial.

Nonconductive and noncorrosive
€¢ Lightweight for easy handling, transportation, and installation
€¢ Crush, abrasion, and strain resistant
€¢ Provides superior wire protection
€¢ Smooth interior ideal for pulling cable
€¢ No jagged edges
€¢ Maintains internal I.D. even in tight radius bends
€¢ Type LFNC-B
€¢ Resistant to oil, acid, ozone, and alkaline
€¢ UL Listed for use as indicated in Article 356 of the 2002 NEC; and
Section 12-1300 of the 2002 Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1.
€¢ UL Listed for outdoor use
€¢ UL Listed for sunlight resistant
€¢ Trade sizes 1/2", 3/4", and 1" are UL Listed for direct bury

Fretwell can tell you about requirements for expansion fittings if
any are needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

HD site shows 1-1/4 Liquid-Tight as direct burial ?
Should I trust the specs from the site ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

I saw several U-Tubes on bending PVC conduit.
Has anyone ever tried or had any luck w/bending ?
That would be way cheaper !
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure, I just heated it above a gas stove burner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 17:35:25 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

So is the Carfex in black a different product than the gray liquidtight (poly) that you see in HD ? This stuff also seems kind of expensive per foot ? Should I try to make the whole run w/straight and preformed elbows ?

Is any of it suitable for direct burial ?
Thanks

356.10 Uses Permitted. LFNC shall be permitted to be used
in exposed or concealed locations for the following purposes:
Informational Note: Extreme cold can cause some types of
nonmetallic conduits to become brittle and therefore more
susceptible to damage from physical contact.
(1) Where flexibility is required for installation, operation, or
maintenance.
(2) Where protection of the contained conductors is
required from vapors, liquids, or solids.
(3) For outdoor locations where listed and marked as suitable
for the purpose.
(4) For direct burial where listed and marked for the
purpose.
(5) Type LFNC shall be permitted to be installed in lengths
longer than 1.8 m (6 ft) where secured in accordance
with 356.30
(6) Type LFNC-B as a listed manufactured prewired assembly,
metric designator 16 through 27 (trade size 1¨M2 through 1)
conduit.
(7) For encasement in concrete where listed for direct burial
and installed in compliance with 356.42.

356.12 Uses Not Permitted. LFNC shall not be used as
follows:
(1) Where subject to physical damage
(2) Where any combination of ambient and conductor
temperatures is in excess of that for which it is listed
(3) In lengths longer than 1.8 m (6 ft), except as permitted
by 356.10(5) or where a longer length is approved as
essential for a required degree of flexibility
(4) In any hazardous (classified) location, except as permitted
by other articles in this Code
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

I can buy fewer pieces and have fewer breaks underground ?
Sounds like a better plan ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

I don't see a heat-gun on Harbor site for $10, I do see 1 for $15 by Warrior ? Menards has a gun for $20 by WEN that comes with a case.
Menards and HD also carry 3/4" AFC metallic cable w/O.D. of 1" that could be shoved down the middle to help the 1-1/4" PVC hold its shape during bending ?
In one of the U-Tube videos on PVC-bending the author stated that one of the best features to look for in heat-gun is the ability to stand-up on its back, leaving you both hands to hold your work. (Hard to tell if the WEN or Warrior will do that from the pics on-line)

Project:
40 years ago, when our Antenna tower was erected, the contractor took a short-cut, at about 9' AGL he strung the wires straight across to the the house from the antenna tower. The antenna tower is about 10' feet from the house, and the sidewalk for the side entrance to the house (the one everyone uses) runs underneath it.

I want to take the eyesore down and run the wires directly to the ground and bury them and run them to a discreet location for entrance to the house.
So right now, 3 wires: 14-2 to power the dusk-to-dawn security light, Coax for the antenna, and multi-pair for the rotor. I can direct-bury the 14-2, but the other two I don't want to in case I need to replace them and/or add another.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/29/2020 8:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

Why can't you use standard PVC conduit 90 degree bends wide bends?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 20:26:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

They usually have a coupon that gets you that gun for around $10 in a
"everything has to go" sale.

If you are running a conduit for low voltage, spend the extra money
and put in at least 3/4" and 1" is better if you are pulling the
connectors too. Normal low voltage wire is a regular PVC jacket that
doesn't have the slick cover like THHN and it doesn't pull all that
easy. Use plenty of lube. (Yellow 77 or something similar, not dish
soap or WD40)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Aren't there requirements for keeping the low voltage separate
from the wiring to power the lights? It sounds like that's what he
intends to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 11:26:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

How many custom bends do you need to make for this small project? If it's
just a couple, like I said, I've heated PVC over a gas stove burner.
Gas grill? Or you could use a propane torch. Experiment on a scrap piece.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit. Searching online I see a lot of Poly tubing connectors w/compression on one end and with a threaded end for a box, but I want to go to a straight piece of conduit.
So what I want is a Poly to PVC conduit coupler.

Don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.
Searched the web, big Orange and big Green, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Custom Bends: about 8 (and that's before I start digging !)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2020 9:28 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/30/2020 8:55 AM, wrote:

Custom Bends: about 8Â* (and that's before I start digging !)

You'll never get it pulled, then, unless you can run sections at a time.
Â*Remember the Code 360 rule. That applies to the power run.

While it's not Code, it is very common for industrial specs (like phone
and optical) to enforce a 180 rule as even more restrictive given the
less forgiving nature of the conductors and that the cable is as
somebody else already pointed out, harder to pull.

GEEZER STORY ALERT/

We had to pull coax for the coal analyzer detector head -- a NaI(Tl)
scintillation counter. In the days before vendors developed integral
electronics it required both a HV (1200 VDC) bias supply and a second
signal cable for the preamp input to the multichannel analyzer. We
would have customer pull at least two pair if not three for at least one
spare.

At one site, the analyzer on the coal belt had to be across large drive
area back to the office where the monitor equipment rack was located.
It was roughly 100 yds across and had to be buried deep enough large
equipment typical of mine wouldn't crush. They ran 3" plastic conduit
for the pull.

But, they weren't able to pull it by hand -- being miners, they did the
obvious--tied it to the nearest frontend loader and had no problem at
all in pulling it.

We weren't on site for the prep work; when went for final install of the
sources and startup/calibration, all seemed fine. Left it operational
and went home (mine in middle E-KY, office in E TN about 3 hours drive
thru the mountains). Lasted until first rain and lost HV. Had them try
the spare -- it worked and were back on line. That lasted about a week
until next rainy spell. They had only pulled two, so that was the end
of it until figure out what happened.

Service call proved was dead short on both HV cables and one of the
signal cables and the second signal cable was degraded.

They were unable to pull the existing cables back out; dug up the near
end to the shack down to the elbow (about 3 ft). They had pulled so
hard/fast with the endloader had melted thru the conduit and welded the
cable in place...had to re-run the whole installation...this time made
sure they did it so the cable could be pulled...

The new cables lasted the 7-8 more years I was still in TN...it's now
been another 20 almost since...now idea if the mine is still
operational, even.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:15:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to connect liquid tight tubing to PVC conduit.Â* Searching
[...]

So right now, 3 wires:Â* 14-2 to power the dusk-to-dawn security
light, Coax for the antenna, and multi-pair for the rotor.Â* I can
direct-bury the 14-2, but the other two I don't want to in case I
need to replace them and/or add another.

They usually have a coupon that gets you that gun for around $10 in a
"everything has to go" sale.

If you are running a conduit for low voltage, spend the extra money
and put in at least 3/4" and 1" is better if you are pulling the
connectors too. Normal low voltage wire is a regular PVC jacket that
doesn't have the slick cover like THHN and it doesn't pull all that
easy. Use plenty of lube. (Yellow 77 or something similar, not dish
soap or WD40)

Â*Â*Â*Â* Aren't there requirements for keeping the low voltage separate
from the wiring to power the lights?Â*Â*Â* It sounds like that's what he
intends to do.

He said he was going to bury the power and put the signal wires in conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2020 5:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Even a hot hair dryer might do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If your areas building codes are that similar to the NEC, yes. Stuff like 120v low voltage phase A is black, B is red and the 3rd phase is blue. 277v Lighting voltage is phase A Brown, B orange and C yellow. Fingernail polish or tape of those colors is allowed when the wire isnt showing.