Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom ceiling

Hi
I removed the drywalls in the bathroom in my basement and also the drywall in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Izr...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8M...ew?usp=sharing

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2020 10:17 AM, leza wang wrote:
Hi
I removed the drywalls in the bathroom in my basement and also the drywall in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Izr...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8M...ew?usp=sharing

Years ago my builder had tiled shower over drywall which deteriorated
with time and shower was rebuilt with tile over cement board which
should be used in bath and shower. That was over 40 years ago and
shower is still in great shape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 10:39:07 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
[...]

Sorry what do you recommend?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2020 10:17 AM, leza wang wrote:
Hi
I removed the drywalls in the bathroom in my basement and also the drywall in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Izr...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8M...ew?usp=sharing

Can't say as I have no idea what it is doing.

Keep i mind, there is a reason bathrooms are constructed the way they
are. Leaving things open can lead to moisture infiltration and rot of
structural pieces, as well as mold that is unhealthy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 10:17:39 AM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:
Hi
I removed the drywalls in the bathroom in my basement and also the drywall in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Izr...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8M...ew?usp=sharing

No idea what kind of construction that even is. It looks like plywood that's
showing, what's above that? Seems odd that they would put up plywood and
then sheetrock over it. Also I see electrical cable that you're going to
have to deal with and what's the electrical contraption on the wall?
Regarding leaving it unfinished, you might want to check code as to what's
allowed for bathrooms and showers, especially if you intend to sell the
place some day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 11:03:29 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your reply. The bathroom is under the front porch. I am not worry about the code. The house is very small old and I do not think it has any value as a house only the land. The new owner would build a new one
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 10:55:37 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your reply. I see your very good points but finishing the bathroom did not help to keep the structural pieces safe. I see rotten woods and rusty metals. I thought I would open everything, paint it with oil-based and that would keep the safe from water and the place would dry out faster. Thank you again
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Either cement board and tile or a complete plastic unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 11:11:41 AM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:
[...]

How about ceiling tiles over what's there? That plywood looks like it's OK,
you could put tiles over it. I don't see the point in taking it down,
unless you're sure what you expose is going to look better as is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2020 9:17 AM, leza wang wrote:
Hi
I removed the drywalls in the bathroom in my basement and also the drywall in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Izr...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8M...ew?usp=sharing

Others already brought most other points...the big problem besides
dealing with the electrical is the ceiling height is so low is/was
probably the biggest contributor to the moisture problems...altho since
you later mentioned the space is under a porch there's a real
possibility you've got some water infiltration from outside that's part
of the culprit, too.

Installing an exhaust fan to exterior would be the preferred solution
that would help immeasurably I believe.

One _PRESUMES(!!!)_ the ply is simply fastened to the underside of the
porch floor joists and is there simply as the backing for the ceiling
formerly there.

Any idea if there's any insulation there or not?

Was that wall insulated or is the wall underground to prevent possible
freezing of pipes? Either way, it'll definitely be a heat sink during
winter if this is located anywhere other than warm-year-round country.
I'd suggest an inch of foam insulation would be good and just deal with
it if there's a piping issue have to eventually deal with later.

Oh so many things to comment on, but I'll stop there...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 1:40:17 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
[...]

That's a good point, now that we know that it's under a porch,
which presumably isn't heated. With no insulation if it's a cold
climate condensation from the bathroom shower will be a problem.
And it will be wasted heat going out too. Sounds like that should
be investigated and if there is no insulation, then that's
reason to remove the plywood that's there and put insulation in.
Could possibly do a drop ceiling after that. Me, I'd just do drywall,
but for whatever reason she doesn't want that. It's odd that someone
put plywood up first, then drywall. Usually when you see stuff that
doesn't make sense, there is more that was done that's wrong too.
I wonder what condition this was all in before starting the renovation?

Was that wall insulated or is the wall underground to prevent possible
freezing of pipes? Either way, it'll definitely be a heat sink during
winter if this is located anywhere other than warm-year-round country.
I'd suggest an inch of foam insulation would be good and just deal with
it if there's a piping issue have to eventually deal with later.

Oh so many things to comment on, but I'll stop there...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2020 1:35 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

None of this will be anything at all approximating "normal" building to
Code; that's pretty apparent in that they put a bath under the porch in
a basement that's barely 7-ft, if that.

If you look at the picture showing the shower head, there's only a
couple inches above it to the ceiling; no way to put in any dropped ceiling.

Undoubtedly the ply was put in to separate off the outside porch
solidly; there's no telling whether there's a solid rim joist on it or
not, even, for sure. One would hope there is, but when the owner says
the house is of so little value the property when and if sold would be
for land value only; the house would be undoubtedly be razed, who could
even begin to guess just what it consists of?

Concrete board would be ok, but in this location drywall is just not
going to cut it for long, even if do manage to ventilate it some and
stop condensation besides the inside humidity. Those would help prolong
the inevetable, but it's still agonna' happen in such a confined area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 3:30:45 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
[...]

Maybe the previous owners were very tall and the shower head is at 8 ft?

You're right, I missed that. Best things I see left a

If the porch above is unheated and cold and there is no insulation above
that plywood, remove the plywood, insulate, then put up new plywood or
whatever it takes to be able to install ceiling tiles.

Or if there is insulation, then put up tiles over the existing plywood.

Plus the other issues, eg if the wall isn't sufficiently below grade or
otherwise protected from freezing, the pipes need to be moved in with
some insulation put in, etc.

If you look at the picture showing the shower head, there's only a
couple inches above it to the ceiling; no way to put in any dropped ceiling.

I agree, I'd use regular ceiling tiles.

--

If it's insulated and there is an exhaust fan, preferably on a humidistat,
I think it could work, but it sure won't be code either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2020 2:57 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Well, since this has been there for _alongtime_(TM) in this condition
and they haven't frozen yet, it seems pretty clear that isn't a real
problem or would have happened before. It would still not hurt just
from an energy loss perspective and an inch of foam on the walls would
also cut down humidity source from other than the shower itself in the
basement.

One would guess all of these are probably beyond what an intended budget
would cover--or worth given the apparent value of the house unless it is
the permanent residence and intended to/will be for some time yet.

If you look at the picture showing the shower head, there's only a
couple inches above it to the ceiling; no way to put in any dropped ceiling.

I agree, I'd use regular ceiling tiles.

Undoubtedly the ply was put in to separate off the outside porch
solidly; there's no telling whether there's a solid rim joist on it or
not, even, for sure. One would hope there is, but when the owner says
the house is of so little value the property when and if sold would be
for land value only; the house would be undoubtedly be razed, who could
even begin to guess just what it consists of?

Concrete board would be ok, but in this location drywall is just not
going to cut it for long, even if do manage to ventilate it some and
stop condensation besides the inside humidity. Those would help prolong
the inevitable, but it's still agonna' happen in such a confined area.

If it's insulated and there is an exhaust fan, preferably on a humidistat,
I think it could work, but it sure won't be code either.

Code left the building before this was started, even...I'd like to be
able to see that electrical box with enough resolution to be able to see
just what that is that's in it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 4:11:48 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
[...]

It looks like it's probably not even in use. The cables run near it, not
in it. I do see something that looks like big conduit at the top left?
Maybe a transformer in the bottom left? Hard to tell from the pics, maybe
Leza knows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 07:17:35 -0700 (PDT), leza wang posted for all of us to
digest...

Hi
I removed the drywalls in the bathroom in my basement and also the drywall in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Izr...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8M...ew?usp=sharing

These do not open for me, get a caption they are in owners trash...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/29/2020 5:02 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 07:17:35 -0700 (PDT), leza wang posted for all of us to
digest...

Hi
I removed the drywalls in the bathroom in my basement and also the drywall in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Izr...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8M...ew?usp=sharing

These do not open for me, get a caption they are in owners trash...

Opened earlier but not now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/29/2020 5:02 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 07:17:35 -0700 (PDT), leza wang posted for all of us to
digest...

Hi
I removed the drywalls in the bathroom in my basement and also the drywall
in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the
roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for?
Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see
all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and
keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJJ...xqkl/view?usp=
sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Izr...6-R3/view?usp=
sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8M...ejL2/view?usp=
sharing

These do not open for me, get a caption they are in owners trash...

Opened earlier but not now.

Two separate threads.