Posted to alt.home.repair

Default whirlpool WRX735SDBM02

Our Whirlpool refrigerator turned off after a few seconds It is two and a half years old. All lights work but it does not run. Called local repair appliance and he literally didn't do anything but said it is the main board problem (Charge $60). Then called Sears appliance, the person did some testing and told me it is the mainboard, diagnosis charge $135. I replaced the mainboard ($300) myself - didn't work and then I replaced the dispenser board ($300) still didn't work. So after spending $800, our refrigerator didn't work. Not sure what to do. I would appreciate any help.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 10:51:18 AM UTC-4, RP wrote:
Our Whirlpool refrigerator turned off after a few seconds It is two and a half years old. All lights work but it does not run. Called local repair appliance and he literally didn't do anything but said it is the main board problem (Charge $60). Then called Sears appliance, the person did some testing and told me it is the mainboard, diagnosis charge $135. I replaced the mainboard ($300) myself - didn't work and then I replaced the dispenser board ($300) still didn't work. So after spending $800, our refrigerator didn't work. Not sure what to do. I would appreciate any help.....

If you have no ability to diagnose yourself, you're really in a bad spot
with anything like this. IDK why you paid $135 to Sears to diagnose
it, but instead of paying them to fix it, you chose to spend $300 on
your own. If they tried the board and it didn't work, they would likely
have found what really is wrong and not charged you for the board. And
buying a dispenser board makes no sense to me when the issue is the compressor
won't run. It's either the compressor, the board that controls the
compressor, a relay, or maybe some input to the control board that is
keeping it from running, eg bad temp sensor. How much is a similar new
fridge? Have you looked for videos online that show similar and how to
diagnose? I guess you can resell the two boards on Ebay to recover most
of your money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2020 10:51 AM, RP wrote:
Our Whirlpool refrigerator turned off after a few seconds It is two and a half years old. All lights work but it does not run. Called local repair appliance and he literally didn't do anything but said it is the main board problem (Charge $60). Then called Sears appliance, the person did some testing and told me it is the mainboard, diagnosis charge $135. I replaced the mainboard ($300) myself - didn't work and then I replaced the dispenser board ($300) still didn't work. So after spending $800, our refrigerator didn't work. Not sure what to do. I would appreciate any help.....

Why did you not have him replace it? Seems like false economy as it
would have been on him to fix it or not charge for bad diagnosis.

At this point you can either throw more money at it or buy a new fridge
and be done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, July 23, 2020 at 10:51AM, RP wrote:
Our Whirlpool refrigerator turned off after a few seconds It is two and a half years old. All lights work but it does not run. Called local repair appliance and he literally didn't do anything but said it is the main board problem (Charge $60). Then called Sears appliance, the person did some testing and told me it is the mainboard, diagnosis charge $135. I replaced the mainboard ($300) myself - didn't work and then I replaced the dispenser board ($300) still didn't work. So after spending $800, our refrigerator didn't work. Not sure what to do. I would appreciate any help.....

If you've spent over $200 already, then you should've just called around to some appliance places for a used fridge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 13:29:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/23/2020 10:51 AM, RP wrote:
Our Whirlpool refrigerator turned off after a few seconds It is two and a half years old. All lights work but it does not run. Called local repair appliance and he literally didn't do anything but said it is the main board problem (Charge $60). Then called Sears appliance, the person did some testing and told me it is the mainboard, diagnosis charge $135. I replaced the mainboard ($300) myself - didn't work and then I replaced the dispenser board ($300) still didn't work. So after spending $800, our refrigerator didn't work. Not sure what to do. I would appreciate any help.....

Why did you not have him replace it? Seems like false economy as it
would have been on him to fix it or not charge for bad diagnosis.

At this point you can either throw more money at it or buy a new fridge
and be done.

The problem is the old "you had two bad parts" thing. He would sell
you that board and then whatever the real problem was.

Given a similar choice on my AC, a $200 board that might fix it or a
$600 new system, I bought a new system. At least the guy was honest
and said if he put in the new board, I bought it. Then I might still
be buying a compressor ... or the whole outdoor unit.