Joe

Default Swimming pool- rusty heater pipes

I have been getting poor circulation through my pool heater, so I took the
plumbing apart and found that the inlet and outlet pipes (metal) are rusted
something awful. The pipes are about 2 inches in diameter, but have so much
rust built up inside that there is less than a half inch of space.

Replacing the pipes (and cleaning the heat exchanger, etc.) is easy enough,
but I'm wondering if the new pipes will rust as well? In other words, is
this just a necessary evil over time (15 years in this case) or is there
some way to prevent this? Some other kind of pipe? Or maybe someone didn't
maintain the chemicals well?

Thanks,
Joe

Greg

Maybe see if someone in a muffler shop can fab you up something with stainless
steel exhaust pipe?

SQLit

"Joe" wrote in message
I have been getting poor circulation through my pool heater, so I took the
plumbing apart and found that the inlet and outlet pipes (metal) are

rusted
something awful. The pipes are about 2 inches in diameter, but have so

much
rust built up inside that there is less than a half inch of space.

Replacing the pipes (and cleaning the heat exchanger, etc.) is easy

enough,
but I'm wondering if the new pipes will rust as well? In other words, is
this just a necessary evil over time (15 years in this case) or is there
some way to prevent this? Some other kind of pipe? Or maybe someone didn't
maintain the chemicals well?

Thanks,
Joe

depending on your heater, check with the manufacture, you might be able to
use pvc. In the old days when I put my heater in the directions said to
install rigid nipples for 4-6 inches. Then you could change over to pvc. Do
not use copper pipes

---

Bob

"Joe" wrote in message
I have been getting poor circulation through my pool heater, so

I took the
plumbing apart and found that the inlet and outlet pipes

(metal) are rusted
something awful. The pipes are about 2 inches in diameter, but

have so much
rust built up inside that there is less than a half inch of

space.

Replacing the pipes (and cleaning the heat exchanger, etc.) is

easy enough,
but I'm wondering if the new pipes will rust as well? In other

words, is
this just a necessary evil over time (15 years in this case) or

is there
some way to prevent this? Some other kind of pipe? Or maybe

someone didn't
maintain the chemicals well?

A thorough search might help you find some stainless steel
replacements. Probably at some commercial/industrial plumbing
place.

Bob

Richard J Kinch

Joe writes:

Some other kind of pipe?

Copper.

Greg

Some other kind of pipe?

Copper.

Copper can leach into the water. They make sequestering agents but that is just
one more chemical in the soup
Bill

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:24:17 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

I have been getting poor circulation through my pool heater, so I took the
plumbing apart and found that the inlet and outlet pipes (metal) are rusted
something awful. The pipes are about 2 inches in diameter, but have so much
rust built up inside that there is less than a half inch of space.

Replacing the pipes (and cleaning the heat exchanger, etc.) is easy enough,
but I'm wondering if the new pipes will rust as well? In other words, is
this just a necessary evil over time (15 years in this case) or is there
some way to prevent this? Some other kind of pipe? Or maybe someone didn't
maintain the chemicals well?

Thanks,
Joe

Hey Joe,
I have a friend who had this problem recently. His pool is only one
year old! Here is what the pool heater manufacturer told him...

YOU HAVE NOT BEEN KEEPING THE WATER IN YOUR POOL PROPERLY CHEMICALLY
BALANCED AND THIS CAUSED THE WATER TO ATTACK THE COPPER PIPING IN YOUR
POOL HEATER

Basically, the way he described it is when the ph or some other
analysis of the water gets to a certain point the corrosion starts in
the piping...you have to maintain your pool water continuously.

Regards,
Bill

Richard J Kinch

Greg writes:

Some other kind of pipe?

Copper.

Copper can leach into the water. They make sequestering agents but
that is just one more chemical in the soup

It takes on the order of pounds of copper to affect the water. There will
be problems with the heater itself before that much "leaches". "Leaching"
accounts for a trivial amount of copper dissolution.
Bob

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Joe writes:

Some other kind of pipe?

Copper.

Copper and chlorine don't get along very well. The copper won't
last long.

Bob

Richard J Kinch

Bob writes:

Copper and chlorine don't get along very well. The copper won't
last long.

I just took out 25-year-old 1-1/2" copper lead-in pipes while
decommissioning a heater. Not a touch of corrosion. Imagine that.

Do you have to oil swimming pool pump? No Home Repair 36 January 28th 14 11:47 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 22nd 04 12:58 AM
Swimming pool - fiberglass repair Kali Home Ownership 0 July 20th 03 04:28 AM